Kepler760

Mar 23, 2017
Anyone know the law to putting a motorcycle inside an apartment in California? I have no more parking space available and it would be a lot cheaper to put it inside my apartment than renting out a storage. I wouldn't keep in in the living room, I have a patio with enough room to leave it outside. I'm buying a Kawasaki Z125 Pro which isn't very big.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Which is it, on the patio or in the apartment? On the patio outside the dwelling you're probably safe. If is comes inside a door prepare to get evicted.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I dunno but i can tell you that in canada people tend to freak out when you do stuff like this.

I used to work for a towing company, we had a flat deck with a hiab crane for delivering containers, and once we used it to lift my buddies harley onto his patio(on the third floor) of his apartment building. His wife kicked him out and he had to downsize and wanted the bike close at hand to rebuild it in his spare time while he got back on his feet after the divorce. Anyways they(other tenants) tried to get him kicked out but it turns out they couldn't find any laws prohibiting this and he didnt get evicted.

The strata where he was though was total dicks to him and he ended up moving a few months later anyways to another apartment.

Kepler760

Mar 23, 2017
I know having it inside the apartment would become a fire hazard (from what I've read) but the patio outside is concrete. I live in the 1st floor, so I can easily put it inside.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Drain the gas tank & oil & remove the battery. Bring the machine inside where it is to be kept then enclose it in a cardboard crate looking box (not easy to open).

If or when someone comes to inspect the apartment and asks about the box, just tell them that it is a "domestic item" being held in storage.

The machine itself is not a fire hazard. The box containing it would be more so.

Kepler760

Mar 23, 2017
The thing is that I'm planning to ride it frequently. Like to school, work, and other places. I wanted to know if I could just place it on my patio with no problem. Otherwise, I would have to park it outside my apartment gates, which would most likely lead to my motorcycle being stolen, being small and not as heavy as other bigger motorcycles.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
The thing is that I'm planning to ride it frequently. Like to school, work, and other places. I wanted to know if I could just place it on my patio with no problem. Otherwise, I would have to park it outside my apartment gates, which would most likely lead to my motorcycle being stolen, being small and not as heavy as other bigger motorcycles.

They could very well consider it a fire hazard on the patio as well. You have combustible liquid where it shouldn't be... Or at least that will be their grounds.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
If you push it away from building before you fire it up the neighbors are less likely to complain. Fire it up right under your upstairs/side neighbor windows and they might call the landlord. Most of the time you can do all sorts of stuff in/around apartment as long as no one calls the super.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
I use to store my Suzuki in my apartment all the time. I would not be noticeable about it. I would park it outside and then move it in, in the middle of the night. I made sure to lay down a rubber backed carpet in case of an oil leak. I also found working on the bike in my living room was very convenient, especially in the winter. It's a great conversation piece when friends come over. Just resist the urdge to start it indoors.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Don't do it, please. One of my mom's rental homes burned down because a tenant's motorcycle leaked gas fumes and they caught fire one day in the garage. The Fd said that it wasn't uncommon and that it's even more likely if parked inside the home b/c of the lack of exterior ventilation. Enough fumes get into the air overnight and a pilot light could set them on fire.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-01-12/local/me-9564_1_invisible-threat
"It's patently unwise to bring a motorcycle indoors because of the flammable liquid in the gasoline tank," he said. "Even if people say they drain all the liquid out of it, there's still vapor."

It is the vapor, not the liquid, that ignites on contact with flame or spark, authorities pointed out in interviews Friday.

"Some people may feel insecure about leaving a motorcycle in a carport, but it's very ill-advised to bring it in your living unit for security," Cahill said.

Fire department officials contacted Friday had differing views on whether their local versions of the Uniform Fire Code strictly prohibit keeping vehicles, such as motorcycles, inside a dwelling. But they all agreed that the practice can have--and indeed over the years, has had--deadly consequences.

Regardless of whether the practice is barred by fire laws, said Capt. Mark Reinhold, Orange County Fire Deparment spokesman, building codes prohibit storage of vehicles inside dwellings.

The problem, however, is not in outlawing the practice, fire officials said, but making it clear to the public how dangerous it can be.

Reactions: thepaleobiker

tortoise

Mar 30, 2013
Kepler760 said:
Storing a motorcycle in my apartment . . patio outside is concrete . . 1st floor
Somewhat of an "as compared to" situation . . storing a hoverboard or electric assisted bicycle, with potentially-combustible lithium batteries, inside the apartment for example.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
My suggestion would be to park it on your patio until your told not too.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Sounds like a nightmare to deal with logistically regardless of if it's allowed or not. I agree with the other statements that you better not be starting it right on your patio or anything like that or people will be pissed and turn you in. That's not just an apartment thing, it's a legal noise complaint.

Is the bike really worth all this trouble?

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Depending on what the neighborhood is like, you could be inviting theft if you leave it on the patio. Kids also tend to want to jump on it and mess things up not to mention tipping it over.

I kept mine in my living room. My bike was my best friend and I enjoyed watching it every night. I did not want to subject it to the harsh winter or elements on a patio. If you drain out all the gas, including the carbs, there really is not enough in it to cause a fire. Even if a table spoon of gas dripped out, as dry as the winter is, it would most likely evaporate very quickly without a problem. I stored my bike in my living room each winter and even did many maintenances on it in the living room. Much more convenient.

thepaleobiker

Feb 22, 2017
Comprehensive Theft insurance should cover for potential of theft....but of course I'd not want my bike stolen :(

I think you can invest in some $50 Gorilla Bike alarm/other means if you want to leave it on the patio with some peace of mind.

The Kawi Z125 is one sexy little ride. You could potentially lock it up with heavy duty chains too :) ?

Regards,
Vish