Stories like this we need hear more often...

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I think I would be much harder to see the way we're behaving as a nation as favorable if stories like this were common.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
This is the biggest pile of dung i've seen in quite a while...lets once more look at who is putting this drivel out: Here are the bios of the Staff of the web site posting this nonsense...

"Staff Bios

Don Hazen is Executive Director of the Independent Media Institute and Executive Editor of AlterNet. The former publisher of Mother Jones magazine, he has edited several books, including, most recently, After 9/11: Solutions for a Saner World. Don conceived of and organized the two Media & Democracy Congresses that took place in San Francisco and New York City in 1997 and 1998, and has managed political campaigns in New York City for Ruth Messinger and David Dinkins. He holds an MA in counseling from the University of Massachusetts and a BA in politics from Princeton University.

Derek M. Powazek is the Director of Online Projects for the Independent Media Institute. Derek is the author of Design for Community. He graduated from UC Santa Cruz in 1995 with a BA in Photojournalism and has been developing websites ever since. A writer, designer, and technologist, Derek is passionate about the web's ability to connect real people in virtual places.

Tai Moses is a Senior Editor of AlterNet. She has served as editor of the alt weekly Metro Santa Cruz and as arts and culture editor of Coast Weekly. She was an associate editor at the nonprofit Children's Express, was on the staff of Esquire magazine and has been an advisor to the PEN prison writing program. Tai has been widely published in the alternative press. Her essay "Before and After: Sept. 11," appears in AlterNet's book, After 9/11: Solutions for a Saner World.

This on is my absolute favorite!!
Lakshmi Chaudhry is a Senior Editor of AlterNet. Previously a staff writer at Wired News, she has written for various publications including Mother Jones, The Village Voice, Bitch, and Ms Magazine. She holds a BA in Political Science from Mount Holyoke College and has a master's degree in International Relations from Syracuse University. She is co-author of AlterNet's book, "The Five Biggest Lies Bush Told Us About Iraq."

Davina Baum is Managing Editor of AlterNet. She was previously editor of the North Bay Bohemian, the alt weekly in Sonoma County, California and was a founding editor at the short-lived Urbanview in Oakland, California. She holds a BA in Russian Language and Literature from Wesleyan University.

Omar J. Pahati (OJ) is the Production Editor/Associate Editor of AlterNet. He holds a BA from the School of Cinema-Television at the University of Southern California. He has been a guitarist and percussionist for Likha Pilipino Folk Ensemble since 2001.

Rachel Neumann is Rights & Liberties editor of AlterNet. She writes for the Village Voice, Dissent, the Nation, and other magazines. She is the editor of "Anti-Capitalism: A Field Guide to the Global Justice Movement" (New Press, 2003) and co-editor of "Radical Society: Journal of Culture and Politics."

Eleyna Fugman is the Syndication Manager for AlterNet. Previously, she worked as a guide on the Green River in Utah. She is interested in the important contribution alternative media makes in creating social change. She graduated from Brown University with a BA in American Civilizations.

Darci Andresen is the Associate Publisher of AlterNet. Before joining AlterNet she didn't sleep much: she was a national field organizer with Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch, Ralph Nader's National Fundraising Director and the national field director for Jim Hightower's Rolling Thunder Tour. She holds a masters degree from the University of Michigan in the biodiversity of tropical ants.

Octavia Morgan is the Deputy Director of the Independent Media Institute. She has more than twelve years of experience in social change organizations, including five years serving as the development director for the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission and one year consulting with nonprofits in Zimbabwe. Octavia is committed to creating nonprofit work cultures and infrastructures that support and sustain staff and prevent burnout within the social justice movement. She holds a BA in Religious Studies from Brown University.

this motley crew is a prime collection of liberal, elitist, leftists....a bunch of refuges from the former Soviet Union, who still think the Rosenbergs were innocent....

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
This is the biggest pile of dung i've seen in quite a while...lets once more look at who is putting this drivel out: Here are the bios of the Staff of the web site posting this nonsense...

q]

If it makes you feel good to indulge in character assasination instead of addressing the material them go ahead. I'm sure of least some of these people would feel the same way about you.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

If it makes you feel good to indulge in character assasination instead of addressing the material them go ahead. I'm sure of least some of these people would feel the same way about you.

"I have a shoebox full of pictures of people who have gone missing over the last 30 years," said one soldier who asked to be identified as Mac. "And people are getting all tied up over the WMD issue. Coming here was the right thing to do."

Choose which ever story fits your agenda though;)

CkG

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

"I have a shoebox full of pictures of people who have gone missing over the last 30 years," said one soldier who asked to be identified as Mac. "And people are getting all tied up over the WMD issue. Coming here was the right thing to do."

And choose to live any lie you wish as long as it fits YOUR agenda. No one voted the USA global polieman. We'll see how "giggly" you are when someone finds a way to ignite another 9/11.

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

CkG
And choose to live any lie you wish as long as it fits YOUR agenda. No one voted the USA global polieman. We'll see how "giggly" you are when someone finds a way to ignite another 9/11.

Fixed your quoting again...you're welcome:D

But seriously - I'll take AP over alternet anyday.

CkG

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
can you imagine what a board meeting must be like with these people?
let me flesh out the image...birkenstocks, herbal tea sweetened with honey..
coffee from "fair-wage" growers only. not a packet of nutrasweet anywhere in the building...
lots of facial hair (not on who you think)
vegan snacks..you get the picture...funny thing is, the two top folks are guys, while nearly all the other folks are womyn...himm, i detect rampant sexism

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Thank you CAD, I appreciate that.

That's fine. I also read townhall.com and pages like newsmax to balance what I see. Ap is a news wire with op-ed leanings. alternet and the other places I mentioned are op-ed only. There is a difference. The people at alternet predicted that no strategic weapons would be found in Iraq months before the attack. They also predicted that the Iraqi people wouldn't greet us with flowers and parades. They were right on both accounts. Does that matter to you?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
can you imagine what a board meeting must be like with these people?
let me flesh out the image...birkenstocks, herbal tea sweetened with honey..
coffee from "fair-wage" growers only. not a packet of nutrasweet anywhere in the building...
lots of facial hair (not on who you think)
vegan snacks..you get the picture...funny thing is, the two top folks are guys, while nearly all the other folks are womyn...himm, i detect rampant sexism

Very witty.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So you all don't believe the following is true ?

"Virtually everyone I talked to in Iraq claims to have favored the U.S. intervention to overthrow Saddam. Even now, most people I spoke to in my two weeks in the country didn't want the U.S. just to pick up tomorrow and leave. "The Americans have destroyed Iraq's institutions," said the Papal Nuncio in an interview, "so you Americans must make sure they are rebuilt." But this military occupation has brought with it a level of violence that makes reconstruction ? of institutions or lives ? impossible. "

Seems like a pretty fair characterization of the situation on the gound to me. Of course if you're too close minded to actually read what someone says, if they do not share your political bent, then you can avoid dealing with unpleasant truths.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Iraq is a mental hospital being run by the patients.

The American military has been given an impossible task. Our boys don't need this ration of sh**. :(

And neither Bush, nor anyone else in that administration has a clue how they're going to extricate us without inviting civil war. Too stupid....

-Robert

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: chess9
Iraq is a mental hospital being run by the patients.

The American military has been given an impossible task. Our boys don't need this ration of sh**. :(

And neither Bush, nor anyone else in that administration has a clue how they're going to extricate us without inviting civil war. Too stupid....

-Robert

Too right.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch

"Virtually everyone I talked to in Iraq claims to have favored the U.S. intervention to overthrow Saddam. Even now, most people I spoke to in my two weeks in the country didn't want the U.S. just to pick up tomorrow and leave. "The Americans have destroyed Iraq's institutions," said the Papal Nuncio in an interview, "so you Americans must make sure they are rebuilt." But this military occupation has brought with it a level of violence that makes reconstruction ? of institutions or lives ? impossible. "

Seems like a pretty fair characterization of the situation on the gound to me. Of course if you're too close minded to actually read what someone says, if they do not share your political bent, then you can avoid dealing with unpleasant truths.

Just because you can find a few Iraqi's who wanted us to do the dirty work for them doesn't excuse killing 50k people in an illegal, unprecedented act of pure stupidity. I'd be willing to bet that a few people in China would like us to toss over Bejing. Is that a good idea too?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I wonder if all of the DEAD soldiers and their families think they died for a noble cause?

I wonder who is really going to pay the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ bill for all of this... why can't we spend that much at home??

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
I wonder if all of the DEAD soldiers and their families think they died for a noble cause?

I doubt many of them do. That's why we don't hear much from them.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001

Seems like a pretty fair characterization of the situation on the gound to me. Of course if you're too close minded to actually read what someone says, if they do not share your political bent, then you can avoid dealing with unpleasant truths
why do you believe it is true? this motley collection of liberal elitists has no obvious oversight, oh, wait, that was the New York Times..
this is a hack political action committee...who knows how they get their money to stay in business, why would i believe anything they write.....

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

Seems like a pretty fair characterization of the situation on the gound to me. Of course if you're too close minded to actually read what someone says, if they do not share your political bent, then you can avoid dealing with unpleasant truths
why do you believe it is true? this motley collection of liberal elitists has no obvious oversight, oh, wait, that was the New York Times..
this is a hack political action committee...who knows how they get their money to stay in business, why would i believe anything they write.....

Again, it doesn't matter that it's possible to find a few Iraqi's who believe this action was a good thing. What does matter is that we turned over 600-years of international law and in doing so crowned ourselves as king of the world, while killing 50k for "their own good." What Bush and company did smacks of the sort of arrogance that we NEVER tolerate if it was aimed in OUR direction. We're one nation among many. As such, we have NO right to decide the fate of other nations. 9/11 proved that the US can't just do what it wants and then claim ignorance and innocence.

Here's a question for you, Mr. Conservative. Have you thought about how much it's damaged us to pursue this "might makes right" approach to foreign policy? For some reason I don't think so. You seem too busy trying to trying to prove how contemptious you can be towards 50% of the population for any real reflection.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
how much it's damaged us to pursue this "might makes right" approach to foreign policy
Himmm, lets see, that old liberal ploy of stating and opinion as fact....well actually, the approach that Bush has taken resulted in Libya dismantling its nuclear weapons program and shipping the components to the United States, it has stopped the potential of any transfer of weapons and money from Saddam Hussein to any disaffected terrorists who might want to hurt us, it may yet yield results with N. Korea, and there have been NO ADDITIONAL ATTACKS ON U.S. SOIL....

that looks like success to me, and a salutory effect on our international relations.
i reject your analysis as being flawed and politically motivated.