Stopping a leaking kitchen sink drain??!!

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I am trying to screw on the drain to the kitchen sink and I can't get it. There is a nylon washer that the thickness of it seems to keep me from getting a good catch on the threads. I came to this conclusion because I removed the washer and I was able to attach the drain but it leaks without the washer. I can't seem to push on it enough while turning the nut to get it to catch. Even when I think it is on, when I let go the drain comes loose. Does anyone have any advice here?

UPDATE: The nut was stripped. Now I am working on stopping the drain from leaking. I don't think I have tightened the strainer enough.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Plastic stuff is a PITA. I always have a hard time getting it started. If it looks like it should work, keep trying. I can't picture the parts you're using, but you may be able to add teflon tape, and omit the washer. Try that if it makes sense.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Dude, post a picture so we know what you are talking about. There are a million combinations of PVC Pipe for a kitchen drain. You may have incompatible parts.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You need to apply more leverage on the lower pipe. Get a third hand in there to apply pressure andor build a lever. A bottle jack will allow you to get the item up to where the washer is compressed and you can screw the nut onto the threads.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Loosen that big nylon nut and I think you'll find that the drain tube will telescope up. That should make it far easier to make the connection at the sink drain tailpiece.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Righty tighty lefty loosey?

I'm hoping that's a tee fitting there and the trap is below.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Righty tighty lefty loosey?

I get that confused an embarrassingly large number of times. It's usually when I'm in a weird position, and can't visualize what I'm doing as well. It's especially fun when you get an inexplicably reverse threaded item, and it takes forever to figure it out :^D

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I am trying to screw on the drain to the kitchen sink and I can't get it. There is a nylon washer that the thickness of it seems to keep me from getting a good catch on the threads. I came to this conclusion because I removed the washer and I was able to attach the drain but it leaks without the washer. I can't seem to push on it enough while turning the nut to get it to catch. Even when I think it is on, when I let go the drain comes loose. Does anyone have any advice here?

Ditch that extra washer (the one in the long-nose pliers) it is redundant with the tailpiece you are using. You should now have enough threads to tighten the connection.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Did you do that? That's nice looking work. Very tidy. I saw the fern leaf, and thought "WTF's a leaf doing in the water?!". I haven't gotten used to the modern marvel of photography yet :^S
Heck no. My bro that's been plumbing full time since he was 16....52 now. Can you say anal type A personality? Awesome for me but even the family rate is high.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
On a somewhat related note,
Plumbing is my weakest DIY skill, but I have had the best luck using the "chrome" drain parts at Menards or Lowes vs the cheaper PVC.

If your water allows it. I have a friend with water so acidic it eats through faucets within 10 years. You could just twist the neck, and it would peal apart with little effort. He buys plumbing fixtures from companies foolish enough to offer lifetime warranties, so he gets them replaced free :^D Still a PITA doing maintenance though.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Ditch that extra washer (the one in the long-nose pliers) it is redundant with the tailpiece you are using. You should now have enough threads to tighten the connection.
He says it leaks without the washer... But from the picture it appears there is a misalignment problem that may never let it seal which is why several of us are wondering where the trap is.

Personally, I'd like to know the background on this. New sink? New strainer? New piping? Where's the trap? What led the OP to this point?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Sharkbites?

BTW nice work, the house I just sold was the same deal, I got some work to do on my new 1925 Tudor I close on next week but it should be fun.
Copper coming in, chrome supply line, compression fittings on the plastic to the dishwasher and purifier.

Good luck with the house. Hope you don't get any nasty surprises. Other than it costs a lot to rehab an old house. The 10'X14' kitchen, stripped to the studs, cost $22K.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
He says it leaks without the washer... But from the picture it appears there is a misalignment problem that may never let it seal which is why several of us are wondering where the trap is.

Personally, I'd like to know the background on this. New sink? New strainer? New piping? Where's the trap? What led the OP to this point?

New sink. I tried to use a jack but I was scared I would break the pipe putting too much pressure on it. Also the drain started tilting to the side as I kept jacking it up. The trap is there. The pic just cuts it off. I think I am going to see if I can get another nut that might have more threads on it. I have freaking strained my neck trying to get this thing on. Now it's killing me. :mad:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
New sink. I tried to use a jack but I was scared I would break the pipe putting too much pressure on it. Also the drain started tilting to the side as I kept jacking it up. The trap is there. The pic just cuts it off. I think I am going to see if I can get another nut that might have more threads on it. I have freaking strained my neck trying to get this thing on. Now it's killing me. :mad:
Go to the hardware or HD, Lowe's, whatever and tell them what you've got going on. Take a pic too. They'll have you fixed up and you'll have it finished in one trip.