STOP ERROR BSOD for Win XP disables PC completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquiring

Jan 27, 2003
I installed EASYBCD hoping to receive a dual hard drive boot choice when my desktop PC started up. Instead, my PC is now disabled and inoperable because when I try to boot into one hard drive with a known good working copy of Windows XP, I receives this Blue Screen of Death error message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time that you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK / F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP : 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0Xc0000034, 0X00000000,0X00000000)

I have no clue now how to proceed and resetting the mobo BIOS has not helped. I see the Windows XP screen starting to appear and then it disappears and I see the above error message and the computer halts. Does anyone have any idea how I can recover my ability to boot into Windows XP? This is a business computer and each day it is not running, I lose money. Also, XP is on a 120 GB SSD HDD and Windows 7 is on a 120 GB SSD HDD. Both are SATA drives and the PC hardware is barely a year old. The mobo is a MSI H87-G43, with an i7 CPU and an NVIDIA GTX-700 graphics card.

Please if anyone can suggest any way to recover my hard drive(s) please respond or I can contact you by PM or email or other means.

Thank you in advance.

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
This is probably AHCI related.
Did Xp ever booted properly?
You have to enter the BIOS and switch SATA mode to the other option available. Search the BIOS for AHCI and switch to IDE/classic mode or whatever MSI calls it.

inquiring

Jan 27, 2003
I just read the tutorial that you provided about how to install a dual boot system with XP and 7. Thank you for that-I wish I'd read it sooner,

I see a couple of installation differences that may account for the problem I'm having with my system.

1-I installed EasyBCD onto the 7 HDD, not the XP HDD.
2-I did not perform Step 10 in the tutorial and install and then write the 7 bootloader to the MBR.

Perhaps these two steps are why I was then unable to boot into either OS after startup.

I had to change the BIOS setting from "SATA" to "IDE" in order to boot into the XP HDD, per a suggestion from another forum respondent to this post,

and, I am still unable to boot into the 7 HDD even if I isolate the drive and disconnect the XP HDD in my PC,

Here is the error message I receive when I attempt to boot to just the 7 HDD at startup:

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1.insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2.Choose your language settings and then click "next".
3, Click "repair" your computer.

File \NST\ntldr

Info: the selected entry could not be selected because the application is missing or corrupt.

Both 7 and XP are on two different physical drives and both booted properly and functioned perfectly after I first installed Easy BCD. It was only a few hours later that I was unable to select 7 upon boot-up from the boot menu that that the error messages began to appear hence my initial post onto this forum.

Could installing EasyBCD on the 7 drive AND failing to write the 7 bootloader to the MBR cause the corruption of the MBR that I now see?
Why would EasyBCD allow me to select either HDD for a few hours and then disallow my selecting 7 from the boot menu a few hours later?

Any insights you may offer would be helpful as I want to avoid this problem again.

As of this post, I still am unable to boot into 7 even if it is just the only drive in my PC--any ideas how to overcome that???

Thank you kindly.

The 0X0000007B code suggests the boot volume is corrupt.

When you install Windows 7 with two HDDs installed sometimes it likes to put its boot loader on the second disk. Perhaps that is a reason why XP got messed up.

Did you read a tutorial on how to dual boot XP and 7?

This might help: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

inquiring

Jan 27, 2003
XP and 7 booted properly after I installed EasyBCD and XP had been the ONLY OS/HDD on the PC for months until the requirement surfaced to add 7 as a second OS to the PC-that's when I posted here because I was unable to select 7 from the boot menu at startup.

Setting the HDD from SATA to IDE allows me to boot into XP now but I am still unable to boot into 7-please see my extended reply to John Connor below as to why I think I am unable to boot into the 7 HDD now, although I don't know a fix.

Thanks for your suggestion. Why would I lose the ability to use the SATA mode after installing Easy BCD?

Regards,

A learning user

This is probably AHCI related.
Did Xp ever booted properly?
You have to enter the BIOS and switch SATA mode to the other option available. Search the BIOS for AHCI and switch to IDE/classic mode or whatever MSI calls it.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The reason why you are able to boot XP in IDE instead of SATA may in fact me a driver problem. Or is it AHCI?

I would back up the data and redo this following the instructions I gave a link to.

You should ask a mod to move this thread to the Computer Help subforum where you will get more help.

What you essentially have here is a bootloader problem. I have no idea why it worked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.