Question Stolen GPU: Can they be traced via S/N online?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Long story short I had a GPU stolen from me. I have the serial number from my receipt. Can the serial number be traced when that card is online?

I asked the same question in an NVIDIA user forum. Hoping someone has some info.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Long story short I had a GPU stolen from me. I have the serial number from my receipt. Can the serial number be traced when that card is online?

I asked the same question in an NVIDIA user forum. Hoping someone has some info.
EVGA had a whole shipment of cards stolen at the end of October.

The best they could do is not allow the registration of their products or honor any warranty/step-up program.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wow, that is nuts. Unfortunately, I doubt there is much Nvidia or a partner can do. I assume you have contacted authorities and filed a police report? If they do find the thief, such as if he is a known suspect who has possibly stolen a bunch of different things, and he has the video card, you could give the serial number to the police. However unlikely, that may be your best bet.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

this would violate so many privacy laws in the EU and US, that Nvidia would have to deal with a massive fallout worse then the nuke that caused the game Fallout.

So no... they wont track it.
At best the card can NEVER be RMA'd as it wont have a valid receipt.

Even the Truck load of EVGA cards which got stolen can not be traced.
Those are probably inside some warehouse as we speak running Mining rigs.

Nvidia was reportedly adding "telemetry" their drivers, and GeForce Experience almost certainly "phones home", every time that you use it.

You would have to accept the terms, and honestly, i highly doubt a stolen card will be used for gaming in today's market, so i highly doubt GE will be installed.

Heck, im a gamer, and even i don't touch GE as well as most other gamers, as it causes more headaches then its worth, and always opt out of installing it.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wow, that is nuts. Unfortunately, I doubt there is much Nvidia or a partner can do. I assume you have contacted authorities and filed a police report? If they do find the thief, such as if he is a known suspect who has possibly stolen a bunch of different things, and he has the video card, you could give the serial number to the police. However unlikely, that may be your best bet.
Yeah I filed local and FBI police reports. Neither indicated anything will be done. Maybe only hope the guy was stupid enough to register it for a warranty.