Stock i7-4770k overheating on water

ChuckFx

Nov 12, 2013
I have a i7-4770k running stock on H100i overheating (push/pull). No loads the cpu goes up to 99Celsius, the build was smooth as butter for a month, all parts are new, not my first rig.

Radior seems to be running fine.

My mobo is MSi GD65 Gaming, not the best but was running good. I suspect it is a software issue but I flashed the bios and reinstalled the drivers, nothing do the job. As a result, all my computer fans go 100%, it sounds like an hurricane.

Room is at 20 celsius, well vented far from any heating devices so I am clueless to what is going on. I see no errors or any sign of a defective part in the computer.

It looks like the cpu is overworking, there is no task (even in background) apart from windows services (8.1) and the H100i seems like it can barely keep up, the wires are getting hot.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
the facts here don't add up, the TDP of the cpu cannot possibly be more than an h100 can handle, something is not working correctly

reseat the h100, make sure the pump is working, etc

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
Are all your voltages set to auto or set to the right voltages if on manual?
Like the others said check the pump and mounting.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Check the voltages, and re-seat the heatsink. Something may have gone wrong and the paste may have degraded or something. It's definitely not out of the question.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I have a friend who was having the same problems as you with the same water-cooler. Turned out the unit was defective and he had to RMA it. His temps were going through the roof like yours.

Sounds like the pump is bad and not moving the fluid properly. Your temps wouldn't even be that high just using the stock heatsink.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
If you want to get a simpler setup grab a Noctua or even a 212+ Evo. OC ceiling on stock TIM Haswell is not going to change even with custom water because the heat that will cause you the most problems is going to be the heat that isn't transferred from die through TIM to IHS fast enough.

With Ivy and Haswell you have three lotteries instead of two that you get in most CPUs.

Lottery 1 - Silicon lottery (self explanatory)
Lottery 2 - IHS lottery (how good is the IHS? Concave? Convex?) - this can be fixed manually at the expense of warranty and identification
Lottery 3 - TIM lottery (how good is the TIM contact?) - this varies fairly dramatically from sample to sample. A bad TIM lottery draw will cap you at a low OC regardless. I even had a stock 3770k that was unstable at stock, probably because of the TIM, but I didn't delid it or work the IHS. Tested in multiple boards with multiple PSUs/Ram sets, and with multiple coolers. Just a bum chip, Intel RMA was easy though.

Anyway, if you determine that you have an issue with the H100, something to think about. A gigantic HS like a DH14 is basically infallible. If you have positive case airflow, the damned fan can stop spinning entirely, and the thing will STILL dissipate enough heat to keep stable at a moderate OC. Whereas if a pump dies on a WC setup, your CPU is going to tap out pretty damned quickly. Damage is unlikely due to the protection mechanisms in modern CPUs, but it certainly won't be very usable in that state.

WC on GPU? Yes.
WC on AMD FX? Yes.
WC on Soldered Intel? Yes.
WC on Delid Intel? Yes.
WC on Delid + Relid w/Liquid Metal/etc? Yes.
WC on Stock Ivy/Haswell? Nope. (imho).

ChuckFx

Nov 12, 2013
I removed the heasting, re-applied thermal paste, replaced and it does the same thing. The chip do not get really 100celcius, a sensor is bad but at the same time i think the pump as you all pointed out is failing, I'll contact corsair.

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
I removed the heasting, re-applied thermal paste, replaced and it does the same thing. The chip do not get really 100celcius, a sensor is bad but at the same time i think the pump as you all pointed out is failing, I'll contact corsair.

With your computer off for an hour or so, power it back on and check temps in the bios.
Your cpu temp should not heat up till 100c that quickily even with a failed pump. If it is pegged at 100c from the start something can not be making good thermal contact.
What are your voltages showing in the bios for the cpu??

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've heard of a lot of the h100 series pump's failing recently. Odd.

I've read the same and in his first post he did say the wires are getting hot. I'm assuming the ones for the pump not the fan. Heck I just put my 4770k together this weekend with my old H50 and it's in the 20's in Windows, have yet to game with it though.

Last edited:

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
If your VCORE and other CPU voltages don't look out of whack under load, then it isn't your CPU or Mobo most likely.

ali1988

Jan 3, 2014
The h100 has a pump speed wire in black (on the same cable as the sata power connector but has a fan header instead). Connect that to a fan port on your motherboard and monitor its speed in BIOS. It should be around 2200-2300 rpm. Can also monitor with corsair link in windows if u have that installed and the usb cable connected.

You mention it's not actually 100c and the sensor is dodgy, If this is the case it has nothing to do with your pump. Download and run realtemp in windows to ascertain if it's actually overheating or not. If it is, check pump speed before RMAing. If it isn't and the BIOS temperature sensor is 'stuck' at 100, then disable auto fan control in BIOS and just manually set them to a reasonable speed in BIOS.

Last edited:

ChuckFx

Nov 12, 2013
I removed the H100i and replaced the stock cooling, it goes in the same temprature so I 100% positive it is a false reading but at same times it tells me that the H100i was not running well. Intel's stock cooler is not that powerfull and it was giving me the same temp.

I could not controll the fans of the pump, they were stuck at max. I tryed changing the RPM with BIOS and Control Center from MSI and nothing worked. I think the MOBO is not detecting the hardware properly, I think I will RMA it.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
I bought a refurb H100i direct from Corsair and the pump was DOA out of the box and is on its way back. After looking around it doesn't seem to be a rare occurrence even with new units so it very well could be the pump.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
ive also read about many pumps failing on H100' and other, but .. i mean .. corsair's rma, possibly the most painless rma there is.

in fact im buying a H100i this month :whiste:

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
I removed the H100i and replaced the stock cooling, it goes in the same temprature so I 100% positive it is a false reading but at same times it tells me that the H100i was not running well. Intel's stock cooler is not that powerfull and it was giving me the same temp.

I could not controll the fans of the pump, they were stuck at max. I tryed changing the RPM with BIOS and Control Center from MSI and nothing worked. I think the MOBO is not detecting the hardware properly, I think I will RMA it.

The unit speed is controlled via the corsair program if the fan are hooked up to the pump header. If you have the fans hooked up to the motherboard you could control them separately . It sounds like your thermal sensor is defective on you cpu.

SeaDooSnipe

Jan 13, 2014
I realize you tried with stock cooler too, but mounting the H100i did you only hand tighten the thumb mounting screws or did you actually screw them in?

When I first received my H100i I only did the thumb screws hand tight and had the same issue, but the instant I properly screwed them in, temps dropped to 60C (4.6GHz on a 2500k).

ChuckFx

Nov 12, 2013
I tryed screwing it down but no change at all on temps.

I contacted MSI, Corsair and Intel as I think this is not from 1 part only. There is overheating, stuttering and hardware detection issue. Seems like the 3 have issues. I will RMA all if I can...

Someone was saying WC on a stock chip is a waste. My 4770k can't handle 4.1 OC on water so I think the CPU is aweful. I planned to push it more but could not get anything stable if I touched clock rate/voltage or anything esle.

Last edited:

SpeedTester

Mar 18, 2001
I tryed screwing it down but no change at all on temps.

I contacted MSI, Corsair and Intel as I think this is not from 1 part only. There is overheating, stuttering and hardware detection issue. Seems like the 3 have issues. I will RMA all if I can...

Someone was saying WC on a stock chip is a waste. My 4770k can't handle 4.1 OC on water so I think the CPU is aweful. I planned to push it more but could not get anything stable if I touched clock rate/voltage or anything esle.

Very unlikely you have three different components that have issues. You said everything was fine at first with good temps correct? You eliminated the h100i by using the hsf. Leaves you with pretty much two things, invalid manual settings in the bios or a failing 4770k.
Let us know how you make out.