Stimulating Ourselves to Death

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Evan
Originally posted by: Budmantom
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Robor
We got into this mess by spending too much and we are getting out of it by spending way too much.

How can this plan fail?

I'd love to hear you explain that.

Have you missed the last year or so?

please explain how government spending led to the mortgage/financial crisis.

can't wait for these logical leaps, although i suppose i'll get nothing :(

I'll spoon feed you.

We as a country got into this mess by spending money we didn't have and buying items we can't afford (homes etc...).

Now our all knowing government will get us out of this mess by spending money it doesn't have, it will take from the private sector that is reeling and infuse it into the government, the same government that is spending money like drunken sailors.

You didn't really answer jack though. Exactly which dollars were spent that we didn't have and how did that lead to the current financial crisis? And since you knew of this beforehand, I am sure you have posts you can refer to where you predicted a recession based on that knowledge?

Here's hoping you don't wimp out like the rest of the conservative/Libertarian rejects here.

W..t...f.....

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

People borrowed money to buy homes that were overpriced from banks that were overleveraged believing that property prices can appreciate at 20% per year indefinitely.

Americans buying homes they couldn't afford wasn't even close to the main reason for collapse, it was private banks leveraging the mortgage securities and other institutions like AIG then insuring them that caused a global meltdown. Read up reject.

Are you just acting stupid or does that come naturally? Nevermind, I realized who I'm talking to. I hear the help desk phone ringing, you should go answer it.

Take it easy Guitar Hero, I know you can't help that you're stupid, misinformed, and laughed at by sane posters.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

People borrowed money to buy homes that were overpriced from banks that were overleveraged believing that property prices can appreciate at 20% per year indefinitely.

Americans buying homes they couldn't afford wasn't even close to the main reason for collapse, it was private banks leveraging the mortgage securities and other institutions like AIG then insuring them that caused a global meltdown. Read up reject.

As I said, at the root was mortgages. The whole economy rested on ever doubling property values. You said it yourself dipshit, mortgage backed securities. Based on that three word phrase, what exactly do you think was at the root of the banking meltdown? Cheez Whiz?

Are you just acting stupid or does that come naturally? Nevermind, I realized who I'm talking to. I hear the help desk phone ringing, you should go answer it.

Take it easy Guitar Hero, I know you can't help that you're stupid, misinformed, and laughed at by sane posters.

If this forum is what you consider sane, I take that as a compliment. This forum, lead by you, is populated with the most ignorant wannabes around.

Now get back to taking calls about computer cup holders and any keys, oh master of the video card.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Evan

Have you ever said anything of substance around here or do you just fellate LegendKiller and pretend you're him?

Edit: Anyone else notice that Evan always demands people answer his questions, and when they do he simply ignores the answer, then claims nobody ever responds? He's like Dave McOwen's retarded younger brother.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

The banks wouldn't have leveraged if Americans didn't keep buying the homes they couldn't afford...

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

As I said, at the root was mortgages. The whole economy rested on ever doubling property values.

The act of Americans buying homes and then not being able to afford them wouldn't have caused a meltdown anywhere near what we're seeing, it's statistically impossible. Over-extension by homeowners isn't new, what's new is so many major financial institutions making massively risky bets with these mortgage securities and, even worse, spreading the risk around to other firms unwilling or uncertain about their associated risks. People buying homes they couldn't afford and getting foreclosed on isn't in the same vicinity of importance as these banks' irresponsible practices. Homeowners didn't tell these institutions to make bets that home prices would continue to go up.

You said it yourself dipshit, mortgage backed securities. Based on that three word phrase, what exactly do you think was at the root of the banking meltdown? Cheez Whiz?

Christ you're dumb. :laugh: As I explained above, homeowners didn't have jack shit to do with the decisions financial institutions made to float their mortgages to other firms for profit, it's not individual's faults these banks made bad bets based on badly miscalculating a mortgage boom and then misrepresenting or poorly researching the homeowner's ability to repay.

If this forum is what you consider sane, I take that as a compliment. This forum, lead by you, is populated with the most ignorant wannabes around.

Yes, I'm sure smart people here fawn over your every attempt to sound smart with gems like "I'd rather take Ron Pauls' economic advice over Nobel prize winning economists". Clearly you were educated by the best and brightest.

Now get back to taking calls about computer cup holders and any keys, oh master of the video card.

You're a reject sys admin from Minnesota who jerks it to Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Truth hurts.

Evan

Have you ever said anything of substance around here or do you just fellate LegendKiller and pretend you're him?

Edit: Anyone else notice that Evan always demands people answer his questions, and when they do he simply ignores the answer, then claims nobody ever responds? He's like Dave McOwen's retarded younger brother.

I make replies in full, as usual you wimp out. No one sane is surprised you bitch out.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: JS80

The banks wouldn't have leveraged if Americans didn't keep buying the homes they couldn't afford...

I only state the obvious, that bad homeowners losing jobs and not being able to afford mortgages (nothing new), had it occurred in isolation from bad bets from banks, wouldn't have had anywhere near the same adverse impact on the economy that it's having now that we know all about the risk these banks peddled to other firms. The responsibility split between banks/firms and homeowners is nowhere near 50-50, banks are far more responsible because they have the ability to play with millions of people's mortgages, something individuals who lose their job (much of which isn't necessarily their fault anyway, plenty of responsible people have mortgages and lose their job somewhere along the line) don't have.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's too bad I didn't take a screenshot of your LinkedIn profile before you pussed out and removed it out of embarassment.

Keep installing those video cards, eTough Guy!

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It's too bad I didn't take a screenshot of your LinkedIn profile before you pussed out and removed it out of embarassment.

You should have, I'm sure my resume puts yours to shame. Will you post yours? Nope, you'll puss out again.

I don't, but thanks for playing Hero. :laugh:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

You should have, I'm sure my resume puts yours to shame. Will you post yours? Nope, you'll puss out again.

I've posted numerous times what I do. I've been in IT for 15 years, have been the lead software developer at several companies and am now the Director of IT at a medium size company.

You on the other hand are a master of video cards.

If the best you can do is find fault with the video games I play with my nine year old daughter in my spare time, you're pretty pathetic. My wife is standing over my shoulder laughing at what a sad little wanker you are.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
We got into this mess by spending too much and we are getting out of it by spending way too much.

How can this plan fail?

well you can start by telling us...

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

I've posted numerous times what I do. I've been in IT for 15 years, have been the lead software developer at several companies and am now the Director of IT at a medium size company.

If the best you can do is find fault with the video games I play with my nine year old daughter in my spare time, you're pretty pathetic. My wife is standing over my shoulder laughing at what a sad little wanker you are.

So what, are people here supposed to be impressed with that? I've been in IT 10 years, finance/economics for 5 before switching back to network security and forensics at a multi-billion dollar firm, and make more than you do at a shitty job in a shitty state like Minnesota. For some reason you think I play with video cards? OK, all that tells me is that you have poor reading comprehension skills, but I can't really help that. For some reason you keep using this LegendKiller insult? Dude, you've uttered his name and responded to his posts far more than I ever have, you've got the guy in your sig. Hell, your e-stalking is part of the reason I ever even considered taking down my resume, your interest in me was beyond creepy.

But I like how you downplay your video game "hobby" as merely entertaining your daughter. Yeah, it's just "spare time", just "spare time". Those 18,000+ posts clearly show you have far more of a life than I ever imagined.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

How can this plan fail?

I'll spoon feed you.

We as a country got into this mess by spending money we didn't have and buying items we can't afford (homes etc...).

Now our all knowing government will get us out of this mess by spending money it doesn't have, it will take from the private sector that is reeling and infuse it into the government, the same government that is spending money like drunken sailors.

so what your saying is the private sector over spent, not the government. quite the leap your making. btw it was a rhetorical question.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Your words are to large for theidiot. Try monosyllabic.
seeing as you are one of the most ignorant posters around, i'll just say that i can appreciate the irony:beer:

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Evan

once again, irony overload from a guy who's only argument is the personal attack.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80

um, yes they would have, they would have just found other things to leverage on. its not like these leverage ratios just appeared overnight in 2005.

if banks hadn't been trying to leverage out like that, where would people have gotten the money to buy ridiculously inflated homes? Its not like customers forced banks to do it, it was a strategy that banks thought they could get away with, only they couldn't.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

so your an IT loser trying to pass off as someone who has a clue? does this make you a candidate for self-pwnage? Then you need to talk about your daughter and your wife? guess what, noone gives a fuck. talking about your wife on the internet doesn't make your points any less invalid, you pathetic little fool.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

So what, are people here supposed to be impressed with that? I've been in IT 10 years, finance/economics for 5 before switching back to network security and forensics at a multi-billion dollar firm, and make more than you do at a shitty job in a shitty state like Minnesota. For some reason you think I play with video cards? OK, all that tells me is that you have poor reading comprehension skills, but I can't really help that. For some reason you keep using this LegendKiller insult? Dude, you've uttered his name and responded to his posts far more than I ever have, you've got the guy in your sig. Hell, your e-stalking is part of the reason I ever even considered taking down my resume, your interest in me was beyond creepy.

But I like how you downplay your video game "hobby" as merely entertaining your daughter. Yeah, it's just "spare time", just "spare time". Those 18,000+ posts clearly show you have far more of a life than I ever imagined.

Am I supposed to be impressed by you? You clearly suck at what you do or you'd actually advance in your career instead of bouncing from one thing to another.

If it makes you feel better about yourself shitty little life to invent personas for people that you can compare yourself to, by all means don't let me stand in your way. If the only thing preventing you from slitting your wrists is the belief that you're better than me, do what you've gotta do man. Pretend I don't have a loving family, own two homes, and have a high paying upper management position; things which you clearly lack. Your fantasy doesn't affect my reality, so carry on you sad pathetic little man. I pity you.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

How can this plan fail?

I'll spoon feed you.

You didn't really answer jack though. Exactly which dollars were spent that we didn't have and how did that lead to the current financial crisis? And since you knew of this beforehand, I am sure you have posts you can refer to where you predicted a recession based on that knowledge?

Here's hoping you don't wimp out like the rest of the conservative/Libertarian rejects here.

Agreed..... this is worse than spoon feeding.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

How can this plan fail?

I'll spoon feed you.

so what your saying is the private sector over spent, not the government. quite the leap your making. btw it was a rhetorical question.

Private sector overspent, government overspent and now they are overspending at an astronomical rate...... yeah quite the leap :confused:

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Your words are to large for theidiot. Try monosyllabic.
seeing as you are one of the most ignorant posters around, i'll just say that i can appreciate the irony:beer:

I'm sure you have the crown of King Idiot.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Am I supposed to be impressed by you? You clearly suck at what you do or you'd actually advance in your career instead of bouncing from one thing to another.

More sound logic from Boober! :laugh:

If it makes you feel better about yourself shitty little life to invent personas for people that you can compare yourself to, by all means don't let me stand in your way. If the only thing preventing you from slitting your wrists is the belief that you're better than me, do what you've gotta do man. Pretend I don't have a loving family, own two homes, and have a high paying upper management position; things which you clearly lack. Your fantasy doesn't affect my reality, so carry on you sad pathetic little man. I pity you.

This would be more believable if you weren't a joker who spends all his time literally posting nothing of value to the tune of 18,000+ times over nearly 10 years, clearly someone who spends more than just his "spare time" time playing video games. Frankly, anyone who pimps their family or job at length deserves all the ribbing they get, and it might even be believable if they didn't fling ad hominems in every post without backing it up, this being yet another thread you've pussed out of substantive debate on. More than likely, you're stuck in a dead-end job and because there isn't shit to do in your state, you play games all day. Good for you, now try contributing.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's OK Evan, I don't take your insults personally. I can see how empty your life must be, so I'll just tolerate your silly jabs and let you feel superior. When you find yourself homeless, I'll even let you stay in my guest bedroom. You know, the one that you say doesn't exist. Just call in advance.

As for debate, you let us know when you're ready. I have yet to see you debate anyone. You state your opinion, and when anybody posts anything contrary you call them layman and run away. That's not a debate, only a child holding his hands over their ears and yelling "Na na na, I can't hear you."