• Not so much

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • When pigs fly

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
OK, I am in good shape, the family is in good shape. Jobs and income unaffected if not enhanced by the pandemic and shutdowns. One is a firefighter/EMT and extra shifts are abundant, even though it poses a risk of exposure as a first responded.

I know some that have been devastated by the shutdown. My spending and donations have been 100% directed at local needs, to support service workers, breweries, restaurants, etc. Can't help them all, but that is where all my $$ have gone, which includes the local animal humane society, from which I rescued a wonderful dog, and much of my stimulus check was donated to both.

OK, enough rambling, back on why I started this thread.

When the first stimulus package was enacted, how many thought that stimulus money would be coming on a somewhat regular basis? Even after Trump got his name on checks, for those that actually got a paper check, or like many with direct deposit, got a letter with Trumps name on it about how he 'gave us' this money.

Yea, pretty fucking naive, on my part... :mad:

The reality is, a one time (so far) $1200 'stimulus check' covering about 8 months of shutdown is only about $5/day. Sadly some people desperately need even that, but does it really have that much impact on their financial picture? And for many, it's just a new 65" TV, or something. If by some fluke, the dysfunctional cluster fuck we call Washington, sends out another stimulus incentive, mine will go to help others, both service workers and animals.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I never expected to get one let alone a series. There was no way Senate Republicans were ever going to approve giving money to people who need it, they were too busy making sure their donors got the bulk.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I didn't expect one check let a lone many coming from the government. When the State of Illinois shut us down in late March we pulled up our boot straps and got down to business. We thought on our feet and opened an online store in three days which managed to gross over $85K in just two weeks.

I knew that wasn't sustainable so we simultaneously started to get a grass roots campaign going on social media and it worked. We got thousands of our followers to email their local State reps so our single voice became many many more. Once I got the ear of our Governor he changed his executive order to include the box stores and after that it was game over.

Moral of the story is that you need to adapt to what ever life throws at you and don't EVER rely on the government. 2020 has shown me that they will fuck over the little guy every time.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
The stimulus check was meant to provide spending money that would filter into businesses to keep the stock market from tanking further, nothing more. We aren't prepared to provide replacement wages. Thanks to the anti-labor policies of the Republicans, the median income in this country doesn't allow much room to save for retirement and have a 12 month emergency fund. So, when the hourly workers were furloughed or fired, they didn't have enough saved to make a difference. Some states kicked in unemployment benefits for those folks, but those are drying up too.

Honestly, this pandemic lays out why we need to have livable wages that allow for an emergency fund, more robust social security, and universal Healthcare. If we had those things in place, we would be riding this out better.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I think it was stupid that I even got one in the first place. I do however think it's stupid there hasn't been any UE assistance extensions for those that need it.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I think it was stupid that I even got one in the first place. I do however think it's stupid there hasn't been any UE assistance extensions for those that need it.
Much the same, I didn't really need it, hell I didn't need it at all. Some charities did benifit, so that's the positive side.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Essential employee here, never stopped working.
That being said, my wife owns a hair salon, she is the sole employee. She did get the enhanced UE insurance. Which went to paying her overhead, ie rent, electric and water bills. Whilst being shutdown, she came out a little ahead, which was used to restock items such as color, plus the mandatory masks, and disposable single use capes. So it helped to keep her from having to close the business permanently.
The enhanced ended in July, so now its just state UE, which helps fill in the gaps between less customers, and working by appointment only.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I didn't expect one check let a lone many coming from the government. When the State of Illinois shut us down in late March we pulled up our boot straps and got down to business. We thought on our feet and opened an online store in three days which managed to gross over $85K in just two weeks.

I knew that wasn't sustainable so we simultaneously started to get a grass roots campaign going on social media and it worked. We got thousands of our followers to email their local State reps so our single voice became many many more. Once I got the ear of our Governor he changed his executive order to include the box stores and after that it was game over.

Moral of the story is that you need to adapt to what ever life throws at you and don't EVER rely on the government. 2020 has shown me that they will fuck over the little guy every time.
What did you sell online to make 85k in two weeks and what was your net profit?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Plants, we sell over a million dollars worth annually. As far as the net goes that's between me, my business partner, and the IRS.
Ah got it. Reading your post it sounded like a new business you started on the fly. For folks not already running a successful business, guess they just need to pull those bootstraps extra hard.

I'm glad I'm not in a position to need or qualify for assistance but feel bad for those who do.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Fuck yeah they do. Pull them up extra hard and move on. Nothing comes easy in the business world unless you're Wall Street, an automotive company, an airline, or a big bank. We pull ourselves up everyday and we are fucking proud of it.

• Love
Reactions: iRONic

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Fuck yeah they do. Pull them extra hard and move on. Nothing comes easy in the business world unless you're Wall Street, an automotive company, an airline, or a big bank. We pull ourselves up everyday and we are fucking proud of it.

I'm guessing you are a compassionate christian?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I know there was talk(speculation really) of it but i never expected any sort of regular payment. I tucked it away for when i figured i would need it, which i did.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Disagree. The checks were just PR to get Trump's and Mnuchin's corporate bailout passed without the people burning down Washington.
Just like the tax reform. The goal is to enrich corporations and ultra wealthy. They throw the plebs a bone to keep the dumbasses out there voting for them.

Reactions: MtnMan