No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ff7lookback(1).jpg

:colbert:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Why do you want Final Fantasy 7 remade?

It was a fun game, but I prefered 6 to be honest. I disliked 8, and 10, and could not force myself to finish X-2, and haven't bought another FF game since.

Still, if they were to do a remake, I think FF1 would make the most sense, since it is the oldest and has the most to gain from a graphical and musical overhaul.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its one of the better pc gaming experiences available, but the version I have works like ass under WinXP or Win7. And theres loads of bugs.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I was hoping FFXIV would turn into FFXI with better textures/models and a new engine. Though with all the work going on with FFXIV who knows what it's going to end up being like.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
To be honest I do not get all the love for 7. It was a great game no doubt, but I think 6(3 in NA) is by far the best FF of the series. If you have not played FF6 then you really should. It really is that great.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
To be honest I do not get all the love for 7. It was a great game no doubt, but I think 6(3 in NA) is by far the best FF of the series. If you have not played FF6 then you really should. It really is that great.

I agree. 7 was good, but 6 was much better. A lot of 7 was forced and just didnt make sense. It was the start to the slide the rest of the series had with over the top story telling that made little sense.

I had once made it a point to own all FF and Dragon Warrior games, but starting with FF7, each subsequent game disappointed me more than the last. I have no interest in going back to them now.

Wizlem

Jun 2, 2010
I was hoping FFXIV would turn into FFXI with better textures/models and a new engine. Though with all the work going on with FFXIV who knows what it's going to end up being like.

This. Don't expect anything good(like a FFVII remake/sequal for PC) from a company that released FFXIV. Why, oh god why, couldn't they make FFXIV with all the greatness of FFXI but with all the horrible stuff removed(like why does it take 5 minutes to put my weapon away or pull it out) and then tack a V on the end for good measure.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

People who say FF7 is the best usually is a good indicator they have not played all the FF games or never owned or too young to own an SNES. Or they have a crush on Seiphiroth and his flowing silver hurr.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I played and beat every FF up until VII. I just couldn't do it, (I'm playing it right now in a psx emu) and I still can't bring myself to finish it. Only FF I've finished since 6 was 9.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
This. Don't expect anything good(like a FFVII remake/sequal for PC) from a company that released FFXIV. Why, oh god why, couldn't they make FFXIV with all the greatness of FFXI but with all the horrible stuff removed(like why does it take 5 minutes to put my weapon away or pull it out) and then tack a V on the end for good measure.

I can't disagree with that, but I enjoyed 6 the best of all of them. 9 was pretty good though, but it didn't seem as epic as the previous games. (It was fun, but it seemed short to me and unfinished.)

Edit: Oops, I quoted the wrong message. Since I am using my phone it is too hard to change what I have quoted, but I meant to quote the message about FF9.

Last edited:

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
People who say FF7 is the best usually is a good indicator they have not played all the FF games or never owned or too young to own an SNES. Or they have a crush on Seiphiroth and his flowing silver hurr.

FF7 > FF6 > FF4 (jap versions, so FF7 > FF3 > FF2 in US versions). And yes I grew up on FF games, played and loved FF2 and FF3 to death, and that other game that was somewhat similar (Mystic Quest? Can't remember). What kept me enthralled with the older versions was the battle system and RPG elements which were awesome, but I never connected that much with the characters or story.

In FF7 the character development and the fact that each character had their own unique personality was much more present, and you could grow emotionally attached to them. Granted some of them were silly or downright annoying (I hated Barret with a passion and the instant I had the option he was always out of my party, and Yufi always annoyed the crap out of me as well), but at least it was there. For once I was picking my party not because it was the best combination of characters, but because I just liked them better. Aerith's permanent death was a huge shocker, and the mystery surrounding Cloud and Sephiroths past was entertaining to see unfold. Then there was the materia system, which was so much fun to learn and experiment with, and the battles were just as fun and entertaining as any of the previous FF's.

I can understand that why some people might like the earlier FF's, but there is so much to love about FF7, but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could dislike it, or make such a ridiculous comment as the one quoted above.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
A local store has (or had, at least) a copy of 8 and 9. I thought about picking them up but my PS3 is really hit or miss on PS1 games, so I passed.

I really enjoyed 7 and 10.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I can understand that why some people might like the earlier FF's, but there is so much to love about FF7, but I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could dislike it, or make such a ridiculous comment as the one quoted above.

That comment is far from ridiculous. There are many things about FF7 that were a step back from FF6. The use of Materia in my opinion was a step back from the previous system, and the combat options were scaled back. Plus much of the plot made little sense, even for a FF game (which always have some wacky logic). I far prefered the more open FF6 to the game that FF7 turned out to be. While it was fun, I found it disappointing and unfortunately the creators continued to expand on the disappointing parts rather than the parts I enjoyed in the subsequent game releases.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
A local store has (or had, at least) a copy of 8 and 9. I thought about picking them up but my PS3 is really hit or miss on PS1 games, so I passed.

I really enjoyed 7 and 10.

I have never met anyone who liked FF8, but I know that I enjoyed FF9 quite a bit. So I woukd suggest that one if you get one of those games.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Still, if they were to do a remake, I think FF1 would make the most sense, since it is the oldest and has the most to gain from a graphical and musical overhaul.

FF1 was remade at least twice, for playstation and gameboy advance. Both were good, gameplay kept the same but graphics and music updated to FF6 style/quality.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
FF1 was remade at least twice, for playstation and gameboy advance. Both were good, gameplay kept the same but graphics and music updated to FF6 style/quality.

Nice. I have a Gameboy Advanced somewhere, I'll have to see if I can get that remake.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Both remakes of FF1 actually had considerable changes to the gameplay - MP instead of the D&D style casts per level per day, much more in the way of healing potions, infinite stacking buffs, and auto retargeting come to mind, though I'm sure there are more. Practical upshot is that it's infinitely easier then FF1 NES.

As for 7.....I remember liking it at the time. Subsequent attempted replays have gotten worse and worse, as I've become acutely aware of the absolute mountain of things it did badly. Like the plot, and the wasteful over animated spells, and the underlying mechanics, the guide-required subquests, and the you-suck-so-heres-a-super-attack limit break system. I actually managed to enjoy 8 more then I did 7....but not enough to make me want to play an FF ever again.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Why do you want Final Fantasy 7 remade?

It was a fun game, but I prefered 6 to be honest. I disliked 8, and 10, and could not force myself to finish X-2, and haven't bought another FF game since.

Good choice. Although I liked FF12. You're not missing out on much though.