Still thinking about dropping ATT.

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
They once again fixed my issue. Kinda. After reading here and XDA I was going to drop $400 on the Galaxy Nexus and get either Straight Talk for $45 or T mobile plan for $30 then sell my HTC Titan to hopefully regain some of my money back.

My bill was originally $54 a month for 450 min plus data. (no texting) I got sick of trying to use third party apps on my then newly windows phone 7 phone for my google voice texting. I added the $20 a month unlimited texting plan and it jumped to $75 a month. For whatever reason ATT does not give me my corporate discount on the add on plans such as texting. After complaining a lot in Jan ATT let me upgrade early. (wish I just canceled then with a low ETF).

After complaining and some dropped call issues the issued me a credit for three months dropping my bill with texting to $55~. This tricked me into signing up for another two years. After that three month cheap period bill back up to $75.

Fast forward to the past two weeks. Had multiple dropped calls to friend on ATT and a few more to a Verizon friend. Called in to report the issue. They asked me to download a app track my dropped calls. They said it was on windows phone (its not) called mark the spot. I was already off the phone when I noticed the app was not for WP7. So I called up the next day. ATT claims they will drop my bill $10 a month for my texting plan. Making it a $10 upgrade not $20.

Ok to the point (rambling) I still keep thinking about dropping ATT and getting the straight talk plan or T mobile plan. But paying $300~ ETF to save $20-30 a month does not seem logical. But ATT dropped calls and slow ass network speed is pissing me off. Getting 3m down and less then 1 up right now. Plus data cap of 2 gig a month sucks.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Something to keep in mind, AT&T's network is more robust that TMO in most places. If you're dropping calls and having poor speeds on AT&T, TMO could easily be worse.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Something to keep in mind, AT&T's network is more robust that TMO in most places. If you're dropping calls and having poor speeds on AT&T, TMO could easily be worse.

I would disagree in major cities t-mobile ususally has faster speeds. I am on ST with ATT sim and the data will not work at all at times during the day. Not sure if its overly congested or the building I am in, but I am starting to think its the congestion. I can get full signal and no data.

If you did the math and came out on top, then I would switch to ST or T-mobile. Also 3mbit down / 1 upload is not bad at all during most of the day. And you won't find a service with a cap higher than 2gb anywhere, except sprint. If the 2gb cap is an issue, then I would not recommend ST for you, I would go t-mobile since they have a 5gb and throttle cap.

Last edited:

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
I rarely use over 2 but in case I start using pandora more again when working out. At work I normally use WIFI if I download anything or use Netflix. But streaming pandora in the car or on my biking trips will add up. Before I got cheap and downgraded from the $30 data plan (was unlimited) to the $25 2g plan I would tether and download a lot.

The T mobile plan looks better then ST but not sure how good groove IP will be when using it all the time. My GF said when using it on my tablet I sounded far away. Plan to test Groove IP with my BT headset tonight on my tablet.

Plus voting with my wallet (one person wont make a difference really) will hopefully promote cheaper plans!

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
If you're on ATT and you wanna leave because of dropped calls, VZW is your only option
Tmo and Sprint have worse dropped calls and signal issues than ATT. You go to Sprint or Tmo to save money on the bill, not to get very reliable cell service.

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
I will never support Verizon way over priced system. I had Verizon for 6 months and dropped them. Every month my bill for one line was always over $100. I was suppose to get my Military discount of 25%. Every month I had to call and fight with customer service to fix my bill.

When I first got Verizon I setup and provided all the documents for my discount. First bill they said it was high because it was a month and a half bill. Next month it was an error and my discount was not entered correctly. I finally cancelled Verizon and swore never to get them again. (unless something drastic changes).

superccs

Dec 29, 2004
F*&^ ATT, Tmobile has much better contract and non contract pricing, better customer service, and does not fund American terrorism.

Dice144

Oct 22, 2010
Going to keep complaining very month (and request credits) until the time comes when my ETF is cheap enough to cancel. Plus to lazy right now to sell my HTC Titan. Its a pretty nice phone.

Playing with my Android tablet then switching my phone makes me upset on the lack of apps! I knew this going in and wp7 is smoother then my tablet but the lack of apps is starting to annoy me!

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
If you're on ATT and you wanna leave because of dropped calls, VZW is your only option
Tmo and Sprint have worse dropped calls and signal issues than ATT. You go to Sprint or Tmo to save money on the bill, not to get very reliable cell service.

That's FUD. I'm on Sprint and I rarely get dropped calls. My friends on AT&T on the other hand are always dropping calls. Data on the other hand... AT&T blows Sprint out of the water. I'm planning on migrating to Sprint's upcoming LTE network, but I'm not holding my breath to think that it will ever be on par with Verizon or AT&T. We'll see!