still having boot problems with my gf4 ti4400 edit: found the problem

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
something's strange about my geforce 4. if i turn the computer off and then turn it right back on, it won't start. lights come on, fans spin, but it just sits there, doesn't boot up. I clear cmos, try it, nothin. then i drop in an old agp card and it fires right up, turn it off, put in 4400, starts right up again. what's goin on here?

now, in the past I've had problems starting up my iwill kk266-r right after turning it off, but that was due to some usb issues with the drivers. is this a lack of power problem? i only have an old 300 watt aopen psu...

EDIT - after purchasing an Antec True480 480w powersupply, I have determined that power is NOT the problem with the video card. the video card is firmly seated, and it works perfectly the first time i put it in, but after that, I can't get it to start up. Flashed my bios to the latest version and still nothin.

I think it might be that the card draws too much power from the agp slot. I've seen this before on the Abit KT7A with a Hercules Geforce2 Pro. The card was the problem, they made a revision and it had to be shipped to Hercules and sent back to us.

I'm willing to try anything here ya'll, what do you think could be causing this?

EDIT 2 - read my last post in the thread

Blurry

Mar 19, 2002
Seems to me that you need to upgrade a newer power supply. I think for a Geforce 4 Ti, get at least a 350w power supply.

ShadowDJ

Mar 6, 2002
Considering they don't cost that much and can also help with airflow, I'd go with a good new PSU. It'd probly last you more than 1 upgrade, too...

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999

its one of three things
insufficient power supply

bga ram contacts lifting off from heat sink tension
(next time it doesnt boot, try twisting card a little or squeezing down on ramsinks with fingers)

bios is getting scrambled (corrupted) - whenever I do a bad change in vidcard bios, I usually have to put in PCI card to "bring back" system.
Mobo bios seems to remember bad boot just like windows.
reflash vid bios with later - but this may void warranty if they check

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
ok just tried a different psu, and it's still doin the same thing.
here are my system specs:

Enermax 330w PSU
Iwill KK266-R
T-bird 1.4ghz clocked normally to test
256MB SDRAM
52x CD-ROM
32x CD-RW
20GB 7200RPM HDD
10GB 7200RPM HDD
GeForce4 Ti4400
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Linksys LNE-100TX NIC
6 case fans

Anyone know how much power I need for that system?

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
that's what i'm gonna try next, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas before i spend another bill

TrickyChick

Apr 27, 2002
My old Geforce 2 GTS used to do that in my Asus P3V4X. My friend's Geforce 3 does that in her MSI K7T. Solution? Sounds ridiculous, but unplug the monitor, let it POST, plug monitor back in. Also, my friend's seems to work too if she unplugs her parallel port (has a printer, zip and san disk plugged in).

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
I actually found out that it's a problem with, if i remember correctly, the PWM regulator. it doesn't give the agp slot enough voltage right after shutting down. I lost the link since my hard drive crapped out this morning, but I think he was saying that it was only giving the AGP slot 1 volt after a shut down.

it only affects some motherboards, and you can usually send it back and get it fixed, but this one's too old. So nobody buy an Iwill KK266-R if you want to have a geforce 4 in it.