Rant Stevia, why haven't this been more availble?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
it tastes so gross, id rather drink water then anything sweetened with artificial sugar.
Hey, stevia doesn't taste as good as sugar. Which seems to be true of all "artificial" sweeteners. But sugar's bad for you, it gets complicated why and how much and for who, all that stuff, do your homework.

I have stevia. I use it some, not a lot. You can overdo it. Again, do your homework. I use it less than I used to. I buy it in pretty large quantities off Amazon, read the reviews. Store in the fridge. Have a tiny bottle outside the fridge that I've been working on literally for a couple years. I don't sweeten my coffee 90% of the time. Put a tiny bit in my tea, I mean probably 1/10th of a 1/4 teaspoon.

Screw added sugar. Many ingredients have intrinsic sweetness. Why add sugar? I grow tomatoes and kabocha squash. If well grown, they are nice and sweet! My tomato sauces are quite sweet, people might think I add sugar but I don't. My stews made with kabocha are sweet ... enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: whm1974

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But still full of calories. Use Blackstrap Molasses. The strong taste will keep you from consuming too much of it.
The first time I tasted blackstrap molasses was the first time I visited the town I live in. Never forget... Someone put it on pancakes and served it to me. It was horrible! I add a tablespoon to my dough when I make my whole wheat bread. In there it's OK. I also add sugar to that dough. Helps the yeast grow. The bread doesn't taste sweet like cake or anything, I add it to please the yeast.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Hey, stevia doesn't taste as good as sugar. Which seems to be true of all "artificial" sweeteners. But sugar's bad for you, it gets complicated why and how much and for who, all that stuff, do your homework.

I have stevia. I use it some, not a lot. You can overdo it. Again, do your homework. I use it less than I used to. I buy it in pretty large quantities off Amazon, read the reviews. Store in the fridge. Have a tiny bottle outside the fridge that I've been working on literally for a couple years. I don't sweeten my coffee 90% of the time. Put a tiny bit in my tea, I mean probably 1/10th of a 1/4 teaspoon.

Screw added sugar. Many ingredients have intrinsic sweetness. Why add sugar? I grow tomatoes and kabocha squash. If well grown, they are nice and sweet! My tomato sauces are quite sweet, people might think I add sugar but I don't. My stews made with kabocha are sweet ... enough.

The bottom line is that flavor, not "healthy", always wins for consumers. Nobody wants to check the added sugar levels in foods. The latest statistics say that the average American consumes 17 teaspoons (85 grams) of added sugar a day, which is double what the AHA recommends. That's basically like drinking a Fanta every day, haha!

Speaking of flavor always winning, SuperSize Me 2: Holy Chicken is one of the best documentaries I've seen in years, and it's available free on Youtube now - definitely worth a watch to see the fast-food process in action!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The first time I tasted blackstrap molasses was the first time I visited the town I live in. Never forget... Someone put it on pancakes and served it to me. It was horrible! I add a tablespoon to my dough when I make my whole wheat bread. In there it's OK. I also add sugar to that dough. Helps the yeast grow. The bread doesn't taste sweet like cake or anything, I add it to please the yeast.
Strange as this may sound, Blackstrap Molasses was actually more popular then white sugar asince it is a waste product of processing Sugar Cane and since not all of the molasses was used to produce Rum it was cheap, much cheaper.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Coke Life.... it tastes very simular to regular coke, but its not unbearable for people who do not like coke zero, and diet coke.

images

OP another great sweetener for stage 2 is also Monk Fruit Sweetener.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Coke Life.... it tastes very simular to regular coke, but its not unbearable for people who do not like coke zero, and diet coke.

images

OP another great sweetener for stage 2 is also Monk Fruit Sweetener.

Since Stevia is what, 200 times sweeter than cane sugar, why in Hell would anyone use both to sweeten soda or anything else?

Speaking of Stevia, one of the other residents has an actual Stevia plant in her apartment her friend or relative gave her and told me that she just snip off leaves to use as needed.

So if I did the same thing, how do I use the properly?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Every morning in order to get going I need to slam a spoonful of juice from the inside of Gushers and snort two fat lines of Pixy Stix. These days that only seems to get me a buzz considering I tend to wake up in the middle of the night and, with a throbbing headache and shaking hands, dissolve a couple of Smarties tablets in a glass of Mountain Dew, straight up, and down it.

You fucking squares and your artificial sweeteners. You don't know real sugar until you've had the good stuff. Call me when you've sucked dick in a back alley for just one lick of a Fun Dip.

DVjZjkk.gif

Reactions: Captante

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Now Stevia is my favorite noncaloric sweeten as I notice no aftertaste at all and the fact I'm Type 2 Diabetic. So far I have only used this in my coffee and plain oatmeal, and hot dark chocolate. Of course I'm looking for other foods to use this in as well.

Considering that Stevia is widely used in some South America counties well before the first white dudes showed up there and that Japan has been using this for many decades, I am highly surprised that the FDA still hasn't approved GRAS status. What is the hold up?
Have you tried using half of a banana to sweeten your oatmeal? I've been using half a banana to sweeten 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats every day for well over two years and I can't imagine wanting to add a sweetener. I'm not diabetic but the fiber in the oats should slow down the absorbtion of the sugar in the banana. It's worth trying unless you don't like bananas.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Every morning in order to get going I need to slam a spoonful of juice from the inside of Gushers and snort two fat lines of Pixy Stix. These days that only seems to get me a buzz considering I tend to wake up in the middle of the night and, with a throbbing headache and shaking hands, dissolve a couple of Smarties tablets in a glass of Mountain Dew, straight up, and down it.

You fucking squares and your artificial sweeteners. You don't know real sugar until you've had the good stuff. Call me when you've sucked dick in a back alley for just one lick of a Fun Dip.

DVjZjkk.gif
You nasty dude!!! Stop being fucking disgusting. Are you even ashamed of yourself?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Have you tried using half of a banana to sweeten your oatmeal? I've been using half a banana to sweeten 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats every day for well over two years and I can't imagine wanting to add a sweetener. I'm not diabetic but the fiber in the oats should slow down the absorbtion of the sugar in the banana. It's worth trying unless you don't like bananas.
Yes actually. Both when I was a kid and in my teens nearly everyday, and a few times this year.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Rant? "Not available?"

I first heard about stevia when visiting my cousin and her husband in 2013. I made my first online order then and have always had a supply ever since. Of course, the food industry doesn't want you to be particularly sophisticated concerning good nutrition. They want to sell you food, preferably food you have no qualms about. Therefore the media (who are more or less servants of their advertisers, at least in part) aren't going to harp on substitutes for sugar, corn syrup, etc. etc. You might see/hear a story or two. It's best to do your own research. There's a ton online, of course.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Rant? "Not available?"

I first heard about stevia when visiting my cousin and her husband in 2013. I made my first online order then and have always had a supply ever since. Of course, the food industry doesn't want you to be particularly sophisticated concerning good nutrition. They want to sell you food, preferably food you have no qualms about. Therefore the media (who are more or less servants of their advertisers, at least in part) aren't going to harp on substitutes for sugar, corn syrup, etc. etc. You might see/hear a story or two. It's best to do your own research. There's a ton online, of course.
Seriously??? Muse you are factually wrong. Nearly Mass Media website I have look at have articles on several natural noncaloric sweeteners including Monkfruit extract and Stevia as well others.:rolleyes: This is coulding larger YouTube channels.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Being a type 1 diabetic and knoweing quite a few Dieticans and Endocrinologits -- what i will tell you is the jury ia atill as to whether artifical sweeteners are better than sugar or worse than sugar!
It would see they all have their drawbacks! But IMO what the main drawback besides the aftertaste is that your body does not process these artificial sweeteners the same as say sugar or brown sugar!
Even thoigh I mush prefer reglar sugar , I always have a diet soda if I am craving something that has bubbles!
But as with every other kind of food it all boils down to what do you like.....

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
molasses is good if you make your own breads! On occasion I like to make home made bread and molasses is always used!

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
If it has less questionable chemicals than the Equal I use now I'm all for it, if it tastes as good. For my palate that is.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Seriously??? Muse you are factually wrong. Nearly Mass Media website I have look at have articles on several natural noncaloric sweeteners including Monkfruit extract and Stevia as well others.:rolleyes: This is coulding larger YouTube channels.

Finding information about artificial sweeteners is easy if you arn't all that particular about the source or its accuracy. Most of what the "media" spews out about them, positive or negative is in fact motivated by big-dollar advertising interests.

You nasty dude!!! Stop being fucking disgusting. Are you even ashamed of yourself?

Upset your delicate sensibillity? ;)

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can you possibly translate this into intelligible English? I can't make any sense out of it. Besides, there was nothing that was not factually irrefutable in my post that you shit your pants over.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

I always add about a teaspoon of honey, and also put some banana and blueberries in my oatmeal.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I always add about a teaspoon of honey, and also put some banana and blueberries in my oatmeal.
I guess I should have mentioned I smash up the banana first. It's even quicker to throw two bananas in the blender, add milk and chia seeds (optional) and blend a bit. Then I add 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds (optional) to 4 containers, add the blended mixture and stir. I also add mixed berries and refrigerate the other 3 servings for the upcoming days.

Sometimes I don't even warm up the oats when I prepare them that day. I prepare as described above and eat it like just cereal. I got the idea from the Esselstyn's.

Reactions: snoopy7548

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I guess I should have mentioned I smash up the banana first. It's even quicker to throw two bananas in the blender, add milk and chia seeds (optional) and blend a bit. Then I add 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds (optional) to 4 containers, add the blended mixture and stir. I also add mixed berries and refrigerate the other 3 servings for the upcoming days.

Sometimes I don't even warm up the oats when I prepare them that day. I prepare as described above and eat it like just cereal. I got the idea from the Esselstyn's.

I never thought about mashing up the banana first. I might have to try that.