Stephen hawking dies at 76

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
RIP. Hell of a contribution to the world.

:/

Edit: Is it wrong to say rest in peace to an atheist? It's not like they are planning on getting back up...

Reactions: IronWing
Jan 25, 2011
It’s hard to feel sad for the life he lead vs the life he was never supposed to have. He was at the top of my list of people I’d love to meet or even just see speak live. He helped shape our understanding of... well... everything.

RIP.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think ill remember him as the guy behind the wheel of a red roadster going into space, mars orbit, for a billion years

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
On Pi day! Is there a better day to pass for a mind like his? A call to rename this day PiSH. RIP Professor.

Reactions: cytg111

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Funny thing is that everyone's sad about it, and I can't help but be a little sad, but I prefer to be happy. Think about it: someone who wasn't even supposed to reach 25 not only achieved a normal lifespan, but advanced science by leaps and bounds. That's what you call a full life.

It really is incredible all he overcame. I love math and I love physics and I can't imagine being able to do the kind of needed calculations in either without a pen and paper. Talk about someone making lemonade.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
A sad day indeed. When people ask what exactly he accomplished, I tell them he is the only man in history to have played himself in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa7CfPaCRw

Not to mention he had a Simpsons toy modeled after himself.

043377994565.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: IronWing

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So sad, even with his extraordinary good run dealing a fatal condition. There is a distinctive sense of loss when we have to say goodbye to people like Hawking, or a Hitchens, or Sagan.

We had him for longer than we should of, I will focus on that . RIP Mr. Hawking, and thank you.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
As an atheist I'm sure hawking would not approve of your comment.

I don't remember Hawking being an easily triggered person. I think he was a big enough man to take a statement of goodwill as intended, not as some little outraged personality.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think ill remember him as the guy behind the wheel of a red roadster going into space, mars orbit, for a billion years
Too bad the timing was a little off; that would have been a fitting and hilarious way to go.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't remember Hawking being an easily triggered person. I think he was a big enough man to take a statement of goodwill as intended, not as some little outraged personality.

I didn't realize not approving something meant being outraged.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Damn, did not get to find out how this all came to being. Maybe the answer is in inner space.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another scientist hated by conservatives because he is smart and sciency. Just like their attitude towards Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I didn't realize not approving something meant being outraged.

Then I'll back up a bit and say that because he was an atheist does allow determination by anyone to speak for him. As there is no basis for the determination that he had been annoyed/put off/disapproved of any well-wishers I'll stick with that. I allow that he might have been a dick.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
It is a bit sad that we'll never find out what other amazing things might come from his head.

His value at the end was being a spokesman, not a physicist and there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I find value in mortality because the downside of science as done by the human animal is that there is incredible inertia created by established individuals and institutions. Someone today might have the solution to the problem of quantum gravity and reconcile GR and the quantum realm and that effort be dismissed simply because they weren't in a particular lab or program or that a Hawking didn't come up with it.

Some may see Hawking as a unique case and that's far from true. As a person he was unique as we all are. He was rare in ability to be certain, but unique in that way? I think not. Several billion people in this world and many far greater than Hawking will be born and die and no one but their soon to be forgotten loved ones will ever have known them.

In a larger perspective, this is what makes me take pause, that the greatest are lost in obscurity.

Reactions: Muse

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011

Elon should make a special tesla roadster and send it to the deep space with his body.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Another scientist hated by conservatives because he is smart and sciency. Just like their attitude towards Neil deGrasse Tyson
Seriously, you just had to bring fucking politics into this, asshole.