step up or sell my gts-640?

timaeusd

Aug 26, 2006
Everyone seems to think the new 8800GT spanks my 8800GTS-640, so I plan on getting one (no plans to get a GTX since I'm looking to make money or spend next to nothing for this upgrade).

Question is, I have an EVGA card, should I sell my gts via ebay or use the step-up program and just pay shipping? I don't have enough time left on my step-up to wait for the g92 GTS refresh, unfortunately.

Normally I would sell and re-buy, but I'm considering the step-up because I see a lot of people asking ~300$ for their GTS's (on anand forums and other places) and for that price you could buy a GT, so why would you buy that? In other words, I think my chances of selling my card successfully are nil, so I might as well step up.

What do you think?

cputeq

Sep 2, 2007
I highly doubt you'll get a GT's worth for your 640 on Ebay, as I'm in the same exact boat. I've been seeing 640s go for around $250. After you take into account ebay fees, paypal fees, etc. etc. I think it's better just to step up.

Right now I'm #55 in queue for a GT ;) Of course I could be wrong, and you sell your 640 for more, but I went the stepup route.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cputeq
I highly doubt you'll get a GT's worth for your 640 on Ebay, as I'm in the same exact boat. I've been seeing 640s go for around $250. After you take into account ebay fees, paypal fees, etc. etc. I think it's better just to step up.

Right now I'm #55 in queue for a GT ;) Of course I could be wrong, and you sell your 640 for more, but I went the stepup route.

It just depends, some are still going over $280 - 300 + shipping :)