Stem Cell Breakthrough Foretold by Forfeited Foreskin

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Dolly's birth got researchers to wondering: If the egg can reprogram a cell, is it possible to tease out exactly what age-reversing factors the oocyte uses, and mix up a Fountain of Youth cocktail that would work on any cell without the need for an egg?

The answer is a resounding yes, as evidenced by two groundbreaking papers published on Tuesday. In the journal Cell, Shinya Yamanaka of Kyoto University reports success in turning back the clock on cheek cells from a middle-aged woman, while James Thomson of University of Wisconsin, the first to isolate human embryonic stem cells, achieved the same feat with foreskin cells from a newborn baby. The achievements completely reset the boundaries of the stem cell debate, because both groups generated cells that looked and acted like embryonic stem cells, but without the need for eggs, embryos or ethical quandaries about where the cells came from. "I think this is the future of stem cell research," says Dr. John Gearhart, the biologist who first discovered human fetal embryonic stem cells. "It's absolutely terrific."

http://www.time.com/time/healt...685965,00.html?cnn=yes

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
/flamesuit
Why is it people say republicans (in general) are against stem cell research when they are only against embryonic stem cell research? I've never understood that... people leave out a keyword.

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
/flamesuit
Why is it people say republicans (in general) are against stem cell research when they are only against embryonic stem cell research? I've never understood that... people leave out a keyword.

Any chance to vilify and bend the truth....

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
/flamesuit

And some republicans are not against embryonic stem cell research. Of course those are the ones who has family members/themselves that have disease that embryonic stem cell research might help. i.e. Nancy Reagen.

Kinda like most republicans are against gays... until they are outed from the closet. ;)

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
/flamesuit

because including that one word does not fit with their talking points/arguments.

However, to step away from the politics a moment...

I guess this gives new meaning to the term "dickhead" and "dickface" :D

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: altonb1
/flamesuit

because including that one word does not fit with their talking points/arguments.

I guess if they could grow new eyelids from foreskin, the recipient would then be cock eyed? :laugh:

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
/flamesuit

I don't even think it's that. Republicans just don't want the government to be subsidizing that which private companies could do, more efficiently, and with private money. The banning of that type of research could be seen as a step overboard, but I talked to genetics scientist, and he himself considered it immoral, and didn't think it was a step backward.

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
/flamesuit

I guess if they could grow new eyelids from foreskin, the recipient would then be cock eyed? :laugh:

HAHA, great pun!

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
/flamesuit

ZING! :laugh:

seriously though, finally some good news

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: TehMac
/flamesuit

I don't even think it's that. Republicans just don't want the government to be subsidizing that which private companies could do, more efficiently, and with private money. The banning of that type of research could be seen as a step overboard, but I talked to genetics scientist, and he himself considered it immoral, and didn't think it was a step backward.

I agree with your geneticist friend. Creating a human being for research is unethical. Make no mistake, it is a human being, as it has its own unique 100% human DNA.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Creating a human being for research is unethical. Make no mistake, it is a human being, as it has its own unique 100% human DNA.

Nobody wants to create human beings, they want to create human embryos.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
/flamesuit

Private companies do NOT do more, better research than the university system.

Private companies are too goals-oriented. They would demand that research groups regularly come up with a marketable product that caters to their manufacturing capabilities. Research doesn't work that way.

gururu2

Oct 14, 2007
there will be a number of problems with these cells associated with the fact that they have already undergone differentiation once. this means that there are thousands of differentiation specific changes (from rna to protein) within the cell that can not simply be 'erased' even though the cells appear to have reverted back to an undifferentiated state. if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, is it really a duck?

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Wait. Republicans may still have a problem with this!
Are we talking about butt cheeks here?