Steam's gone mobile!

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
You immediately wonder if this isn't the tip of the iceberg.

In 6 months, we'll be seeing a Steam framework for Android...

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Except what they don't tell you is when you try to login, they won't let you, saying it's still in beta.

Robert Munch

Oct 11, 2006
Tried to sign in but, Steam mobile said thanks for my interest in the steam mobile beta they have made note of my account and will be sending invites out shortly. This was yesterday night and I got nothing in my inbox yet.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Cool. This will be the most handy during the Steam sales. I know many people were probably in the same boat and might have missed out on a day or two of the sales because they were visiting family or traveling and didn't have a computer to use.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Finally! So many times I've wished for Steam chat & store while out and about, it's about damn time!

Who knows, maybe Steam will start selling mobile games now too.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
A Steam APPs store? for games or software too?

This seems like a good thing no? a alternative to all the other app stores = more competition = lower prices.

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
Finally! So many times I've wished for Steam chat & store while out and about, it's about damn time!

Who knows, maybe Steam will start selling mobile games now too.

As long as this doesn't take support away from PC games, this would be cool with me.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
As long as this doesn't take support away from PC games, this would be cool with me.

The main goal to unify purchases. Like how the Windows and Mac markets are separate, but on Steam you get cross platform support, so you only buy a game once.

If mobile game devs started using Steam to sell their games, you could (for example) buy game X which is on both iOS and Android, but thanks to Steam you only have to buy it once.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Only a matter of time before they have good games for android through steam (and sales!)

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Its amazing. Here we are BEGGING to spend money with them. Love to see the innovation.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
The main goal to unify purchases. Like how the Windows and Mac markets are separate, but on Steam you get cross platform support, so you only buy a game once.

If mobile game devs started using Steam to sell their games, you could (for example) buy game X which is on both iOS and Android, but thanks to Steam you only have to buy it once.

iOS will never be sold through this. Actually I am a bit surprised this app is approved for iPhone at all since Apple gets no cut of the sale which was a big deal with the kindle app.

However Android and PC/MAC could work. Popcap could offer bundles with regular and mobile versions of stuff, likewise for the EA stuff. Even better is that a well established platform like Steam could lead to more game sales and you could see more iOS exclusives jump over.

Of course at the end of the day it will just be a native to your phone way to give Steam even more money during sales. My poor wallet...

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Cool. This will be the most handy during the Steam sales. I know many people were probably in the same boat and might have missed out on a day or two of the sales because they were visiting family or traveling and didn't have a computer to use.

This is not a good thing. I already have too many games and shouldn't buy more. Damn you valve!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
iOS will never be sold through this. Actually I am a bit surprised this app is approved for iPhone at all since Apple gets no cut of the sale which was a big deal with the kindle app.

However Android and PC/MAC could work. Popcap could offer bundles with regular and mobile versions of stuff, likewise for the EA stuff. Even better is that a well established platform like Steam could lead to more game sales and you could see more iOS exclusives jump over.

Of course at the end of the day it will just be a native to your phone way to give Steam even more money during sales. My poor wallet...

Yeah I realized after posting that iOS doesn't allow that, but yep there's still Android.

gladiatorua

Nov 21, 2011
We'll see about games for iOS.
And it's not that surprising that Apple allowed Steam app on iOS because:
1. It's kind of grey area. Steam app doesn't sell content for iOS( yet). It's an additional app to manage Steam account. And Steam is available for MacOS.
2. Steam is a really significant thing for MacOS. Ported Source games. Future Valve games. A good way to get games for Mac. And SteamPlay.
I think Apple will let the grey stuff slide because Steam is quite valuable for MacOS.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I got my access yesterday; I like it, I like it a lot. Could definitely see this doing some extra damage to my wallet.

Not sure how much I will use the friends part of it; I can't imagine bugging people in the middle of a game while I'm on the can. :hmm:

KT