SteamLink with a Steam Headless Server - Sound and Resolution Problem

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I've got a 4590 + 280x box to basically exclusively run steam client and serve up games to the Steam Link I just bought.

After setting up the Steam Server and the SteamLink I had two big problems.

SteamLink has limited resolution options for the games and no sound is coming through.

From what i've read, this has to do with the Steam Server not having a monitor attached.

Anyone running a similar setup and have solutions?

I bought a dummy HDMI plug, hoping that will work.

For anyone else coming across this thread another issue I had was that SteamLink wouldn't connect to the Steam Server due to the screen being locked. RDP locks the screen when you exit by default. Solution there was found in this thread:
Post #7

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
I think you can get around the audio issue by having headphone or something plugged into the pc somewhere. I have had this issue where I had a vga monitor plugged in but forgot to have my headphones connected so I got no audio. Not sure how to fix the resolution issue without having a monitor connected.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
This is interesting. If you don't mind me asking, why are you choosing to run steam in this way? I don't mean to be critical. I'm legitimately curious. With Steam Link does it let you run more than one instance at a time (e.g. if you have multiple steam link's)?

Unfortunately I can't be of any actual assistance. But I am curious about your setup.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
The resolution thing is probably due to Windows default resolution settings. When I use VNC to access a computer, it defaults to a low res (1024x768) when the monitor is off (it's DP so I think it detects it as not being attached if it's turned off). With the monitor turned on, it shows at the monitor default resolution (1920x1080)

I have just searched to see if there's a way to change it and it seems like might be:

Go into the registry and search for DefaultSetting.XResolution and DefaultSetting.YResolution (or just XResolution and YResolution) and then set them (in decimal) to whatever the native or desired resolution is (e.g. 1920 and 1080)

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Ok, sounds like an HDMI dummy plug should open up audio and 1080P for me. Due in tommorow

/crosses fingers

Lonyo, that sounds like it would work. The system is defaulting to 1280x1024 IIRC. I don't want to mess in registry yet though.

Cbrunny, I've got a dedicated Steam Server running on a hardline next to my network equipment and then the plan is to have a SteamLink in my room, and a SteamLink in the main TV area.

The steamlink is not much bigger than a mobile phone so I can hide it behind wall mounted TV's and basically toss the power of my full tower dedicated rig around to these two rooms with the SteamLinks.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Here's the Headless HDMI Adapter

This worked. Gives me 1080P with just that Adapter, an Ethernet cable, and power cord plugged into the back of my steam server.

Prior to this I was getting 1024x768 and my HDTV connected to steamlink was, due to overscan problems, running 1024x568 AKA terrible.

This adapter resolved my Video resolution issue.

My other issue, no audio, was not resolved by this device. In my situation, I had disabled HD Audio in my system BIOS. Enabling this and rebooting let Windows 10 auto detect the new sound hardware, and Digital (SPDIF) was detected as my sound device and this resolved my sound issue for a headless Steam Server.

Playing Shadows of Mordor now. Loving it.

b-mac

Jun 15, 2015
Glad it worked out for you! Are you using the steamlink over wifi or hardwired. Hows it working so far?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I've got the steam server on a hardline and the steam link on wifi. This is working out well so far. I could buy a cheap switch and hardwire the steam link, but I don't feel a need given lag is not a problem now and frames are coming in high ~40-60.

Still tweaking some settings, not many for this setup. I have performance on the steam link set to beautiful out of fast/balanced/beautiful.

It's an ac wireless network, steam link getting very good link to the wireless access point.

Few things I've run into that are frustrating are that the Xbox one controller has to be wired in to the steam link and because the micro sub connection is poor to the Xbox one controller, it drops input. In some games this doesn't resolve by unplugging and replugging back in. I then have to remote in to the server and close game and relaunch from steam link...

Number of other issues like this, so steamlink is not a clean plug and play solution IMO, not like a console. I've had to tinker a lot.

Not sold in the steam controller, but my interest is growing.