Steam Winter Sale 2016 & GOG Goodbye 2016 Sale

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It looks like it’ll start on 22 December if the rumors are to be believed. I’ll be checking to see if Dishonored and Legend of Grimrock 2 are cheap enough for me to buy.

How about you?

Edit: GOG's sale is rumored to start 23 December. More choice is always a good thing.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I'll be ordering a new GPU early in January next year, so I might buy something like Doom so that I can make full use of the card. I don't really have any other new games.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
I'll probably check it every day for a few days and wind up buying $10 worth of games and won't play half of them.

Reactions: Tweak155

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I hope they bring back daily deals or community choice. Make it more exciting!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'll be ordering a new GPU early in January next year, so I might buy something like Doom so that I can make full use of the card. I don't really have any other new games.
Isn't Doom coming with new GPUs at the moment? I'm not sure how long the promotion goes on for, but I wouldn't want you to buy a game and then get it for free.

Feb 4, 2009

Me too however the return policy kind of killed that. However I don't know why they don't issue steam credits automatically for something recently purchased and marked down.
I'd be fine with flash sales being exempt from returns.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Me too however the return policy kind of killed that. However I don't know why they don't issue steam credits automatically for something recently purchased and marked down.
I'd be fine with flash sales being exempt from returns.
The problem is the devs of the games would have to agree as they are the ones that get most of the money and it would be a hassle.

In either case the return policy killed this off and most people are happy because of the issues those flash sales caused at times and prefer one set price during a sale.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Eh, downgraded in the job market (not by choice) and now I actually have to watch what I buy. No more buying en mass just because it's 66% off - although, there are a few games on my wishlist that have seen 66% off already and I had them sitting in my cart, but I knew better than to purchase them at the time.

I'll definitely be looking in every day and I will probably pick up some of the games on my list that were under $10 during the Thanksgiving sale, but I can't guarantee I'll be grabbing the big names on my list this year.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

It doesn't make sense though.

Option one: You can buy three games each discounted from $20 to $5 for a week.

Option two: You can buy each of those three games for $5 only for one 12 hour flash sale! Don't miss it!

And there will be one community flash sale where you will vote for one of the three to have another flash sale! Yay!

Exciting! Not better.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Isn't Doom coming with new GPUs at the moment? I'm not sure how long the promotion goes on for, but I wouldn't want you to buy a game and then get it for free.

Not with GPUs, motherboards I think. I can get Civilisation 6 with a new 480, or Hitman something or other with a 470.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
It looks like it’ll start on 22 December if the rumors are to be believed. I’ll be checking to see if Dishonored and Legend of Grimrock 2 are cheap enough for me to buy.

How about you?

Edit: GOG's sale is rumored to start 23 December. More choice is always a good thing.

LoGII was part of a Humble Bundle a few weeks ago. It was in the beginning tier meaning you could have nabbed it for $1 for a Steam copy. I know that doesn't help you now, but you might search around a bit....I bet lots of people have extra copies. If I recall correctly, the beat the average tier included Pillars of Eternity and I think that's the game most people were after.

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004

Option two: You can buy each of those three games for $5 only for one 12 hour flash sale! Don't miss it!

And there will be one community flash sale where you will vote for one of the three to have another flash sale! Yay!

Exciting! Not better.
Like I said. Make it more exciting. It's never going to be better...

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

Exciting! Not better.

I know we have had this disagreement before but I still believe I saw better deals in the flash sales and I confirmed it with historical pricing on a few games. Also was is it really that hard to look at your phone once every 8 hours? It gave me something to look forward to three times a day instead of check it once and forget it.

Reactions: maevinj

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
my wish list is pretty long... I'm actually really hoping Dragon Quest Heroes drops a fair bit. and/or Ashes of the Singularity. And Endless Space 2. But I'm not optimistic. Steam sales lately have been pretty crap.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm debating picking up Ark, Doom and BF1. Trying to decide if I should upgrade my rig first before getting anything else though. It's been months since I've played a video game. Oh, thinking about getting Overwatch too.