Steam: White screen for internet windows.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
When I turn on steam, my games list shows up fine but the Community and Store screens do not load. I also tried accepting a gift from a friend who sent an extra copy of Half Life 2 my way, but the screen was white and I could not continue.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
have you tried reinstalling steam

the only other thing comes to mind is that you have a firewall blocking it somehow

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
He formatted (he needed to anyways and the suggestions yall gave didn't work)... now he's having a million other problems non-related to this and I've got another thread in general hardware.. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
This happens to me ALL THE TIME. It wasn't until the last time I installed it that it worked at all (After at least 4-5 previous installations on previous machines/OS installations). I have found that it is more likely to work when you open Steam before you open a Firefox window. It doesn't always work even then, but it is more likely to work. I put a few help tickets in at Steam, and they couldn't help me but maybe you will have better luck.

EDIT: I think it started working after I updated to XP SP3. Probably needed the latest version of IE7, and since I don't use IE I didn't have it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I had this happen to me after a Steam client update last week. I uninstalled, reinstalled, but it still occurred. Since I didn't want to purchase any titles off Steam at the time, it didn't bother me too much. It resolved on its own the next day without any further actions on my part.