Steam Weekend Deal: Farcry and Farcry 2 both 50% off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
might pick up FC2 for 10

Played and beat FC1 long ago, dont remember dick about it

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Okay, here's some of my rants about the game...

'RANT WARNING!'

Visually, yes FC2 is great. The respawn time on the checkpoints was bad but not too bad. A delayed respawn time of 12-24 hours in game would have been better. There were other things that irked me far more than that though.

Weapon break downs and jamming. When you get a new weapon the reality is that its going to be good for months if not years when taken care of. The game forces you to go to the weapon shop for each new mission and thats just plain stupid in my thinking. A mission takes you maybe a half a day in game time or a whole day in game time and it becomes old and broken in a couple or few hours? WTF is that about? Is my guy throwing it off cliffs, beating it on rocks, or something?? Just plain stupid!

Killing baddies. Okay, if I take a machine gun and pump 20 rounds into some guy's chest at a fairly close range, and he's not wearing a shirt or anything he should go down and stay down. Not stagger, or maybe fall and then get back up all the while still shooting me. Unrealistic even for a game. How'd the designers allow that? I can see if you were playing on the hardest difficulty setting but on normal mode? Come on thats just stupid!

Beeing seen and seeing the bad guys. You are wearing camo but the bad guy/s are not, again guys wearing nothing but pants, You are in heavy undercover and crouched down and can't see anything, doesn't matter whether if its day or night. You don't see them but they can sure see you and hit you. Again if you are playing on the hardest difficulty settings, yes, but on normal? Again its stupid!

Medicine. I admit I have never had malaria but the constant need to go get pills was a pain. I often thought my guy was a pill addict or something. Maybe the guy that designed that feature is one himself?

Someone needs to take the lead designer and take him out back of the corporate office and beat him silly. FC2 had a lot of potential but you can tell they slapped it together quickly to make some bucks.

I figured to extend some replayability I could just start a game and run around and kill baddies for a an hour or two before bed but with the constant need to go after malaria pills and worse, getting a new weapon every couple of in game hours, its not even worth that aggravation. It'd be nice if they could allow the player to turn off some of these features.

Oh, and did anyone else notice how long the credits took to run? I know of two hour movies that took less time to run their credits. You have to sit through it too because hitting escape didn't do anything. Only thing to do was alt+tab out and quit the game that way.

I have to admit I was glad when the game was finally over. And that's a sad thing to admit. Glad I paid the special holiday discount price for it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The instant respawn was not a feature: it was an acknowledged error on their part. Something like a 24 hour respawn would have made much more sense, while continuing to keep things dangerous. It made driving ludicrous; you'd drive for less than a minute, dismount, fight, drive for less than a minute, dismount, fight...ad infinitum.

Totally destroyed my interest in the game. However, the game is damn good looking. I am surprised that no one seems to have licensed the engine for use in other games.

Someone did license it.

The engine was used to make the Avatar Game. And it's pretty!

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Okay, here's some of my rants about the game...

Visually, yes FC2 is great. The respawn time on the checkpoints was bad but not too bad. A delayed respawn time of 12-24 hours in game would have been better. There were other things that irked me far more than that though.

Weapon break downs and jamming. When you get a new weapon the reality is that its going to be good for months if not years when taken care of. The game forces you to go to the weapon shop for each new mission and thats just plain stupid in my thinking. A mission takes you maybe a half a day in game time or a whole day in game time and it becomes old and broken in a couple or few hours? WTF is that about? Is my guy throwing it off cliffs, beating it on rocks, or something?? Just plain stupid!

Killing baddies. Okay, if I take a machine gun and pump 20 rounds into some guy's chest at a fairly close range, and he's not wearing a shirt or anything he should go down and stay down. Not stagger, or maybe fall and then get back up all the while still shooting me. Unrealistic even for a game. How'd the designers allow that? I can see if you were playing on the hardest difficulty setting but on normal mode? Come on thats just stupid!

Beeing seen and seeing the bad guys. You are wearing camo but the bad guy/s are not, again guys wearing nothing but pants, You are in heavy undercover and crouched down and can't see anything, doesn't matter whether if its day or night. You don't see them but they can sure see you and hit you. Again if you are playing on the hardest difficulty settings, yes, but on normal? Again its stupid!

Medicine. I admit I have never had malaria but the constant need to go get pills was a pain. I often thought my guy was a pill addict or something. Maybe the guy that designed that feature is one himself?

Someone needs to take the lead designer and take him out back of the corporate office and beat him silly. FC2 had a lot of potential but you can tell they slapped it together quickly to make some bucks.

I figured to extend some replayability I could just start a game and run around and kill baddies for a an hour or two before bed but with the constant need to go after malaria pills and worse, getting a new weapon every couple of in game hours, its not even worth that aggravation. It'd be nice if they could allow the player to turn off some of these features.

Oh, and did anyone else notice how long the credits took to run? I know of two hour movies that took less time to run their credits. You have to sit through it too because hitting escape didn't do anything. Only thing to do was alt+tab out and quit the game that way.

I have to admit I was glad when the game was finally over. And that's a sad thing to admit. Glad I paid the special holiday discount price for it.

Nice review, sounds like some annoying irks in the game. I didn't understand the part in bold at all, though.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Nice review, sounds like some annoying irks in the game. I didn't understand the part in bold at all, though.

When you are in the jungle or in high tall grassland and crouched down you can't see anything because the vegetation is above your head. But the enemy can see you, even from a distance and shoot you. I've had this happen many times. Its like they can see through anything. On normal settings I find it silly.

Don't let my rants discourage you from trying the game though. When its at a low low price its a game worth getting. There is lots of good cool game play in it. I just mentioned the ones that bug me.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
You guys left out the most fun part of the game. Setting grass on fire and watching the enemy burn !

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
My biggest beef with FC2 was the enemy line of sight code. FC1 and Crysis did a great job on this. You could be fighting enemies and then run an hide in the bushes and the enemies would go to where they last saw you and start looking for you. Their algorithm for deciding whether the enemy could see you and know where you are worked great and made them great stealth games.

In FC2 they totally borked it. Sometimes you can be right in front of them and they won't see you. Sometimes they'll see you through walls and rocks. And once they see you, they ALWAYS know exactly where you are. You can't hide once they've spotted you.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Just bought the damn thing. Bored and needed something new. For $10, why not?

I almost bought Kingpin too. Wow, that thing is old. Really tempted to rebuy Rainbow 6 3.