Feb 5, 2001
Farcry is $4.99 now
Farcry 2 is $9.99 now

Note, according to the Farcry forums on Steam, the DRM has been removed

Last edited:

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Worth every penny - I loved both of the Far Cry games a lot. Still can't get onto Steam Storefront though - tried from 3 different computers and two different connections.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Didn't like the first Far Cry game at all. I hear Far Cry 2 basically isn't Far Cry at all, so maybe I'd like it...not going to buy though :D

Oct 27, 2007
Far Cry 2 is great for a no-thinking shoot-em-up. I'll grab it for $10, it will kill a couple of rainy weekends and hell, maybe one day I'll finish the story.

Oct 27, 2007
Didn't like the first Far Cry game at all. I hear Far Cry 2 basically isn't Far Cry at all, so maybe I'd like it...not going to buy though :D
Definitely don't base your decision on the original Far Cry. Even though I love both games, the sequel is nothing like the first one. It's more like Crysis without aliens or nano-suit, set in a more gritty African setting with the most awesome fire physics ever. And the game has some neat gimmicks like weapons that can break (actually cooler than it sounds) and it's an open-world sandbox.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I liked Far Cry 2, even though I never finished. It was nice to just get kinda lost and shoot shit up. Lots of "hunting" if you wanted to be stealthy.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have both. I got FC2 during the Xmas sales. I preferred 1 over 2 but at these prices they are both worth buying.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I said fuck it and ended up buying FC2. If anything it looks like fun just exploring the areas at the very worse. Have FC1 64bit edition on a disc otherwise I would have bought it on steam if it was the 64 edition

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Hmm, Farcry 2 sounds pretty good then. Wonder why they gave it the name Far Cry at all though. Hoping to sell more copies that way I suppose.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Far Cry 2 suffered from some incredibly stoopid game mechanics. Crossroads at central points in the game respawn within minutes of you wiping out the crew manning it. You drive somewhere, turn right around, and the crossroad will be full of guys again. They even knew this was a problem in testing, but made the decision that it was somehow too 'troublesome' to change before release.

Also, the so called story is totally devoid of anything resembling characterization, motivation, or....story. They let you choose from a bunch of different character background types - none of which are different in anything other than looks. You hate the bad guy, because....well they say you hate him. He supplies weapons to mercs! Most of the game, you, a merc, are trying to expand your supply of weapons. I guess they slept through storytelling 101.

Good engine, looks nice, but only fun as a mindless shooter. Not worth the $5 I paid for it, personally.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I almost bought Farcry 2 a while back for $20 for the PS3. Thinking about getting it for $10, but this is probably a Stalker weekend if I can find it.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I really enjoyed Far Cry 2. I played through the whole game. Some things are annoying like the respawning guys. But it forces you to plan your attacks and traveling, rivers and buses are key haha. Frankly the game would be dull if you killed all the guys and then just ran around the map for the rest of the game. There are some fun stealth tactics to it and the game itself is gorgeous.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
The instant respawn was not a feature: it was an acknowledged error on their part. Something like a 24 hour respawn would have made much more sense, while continuing to keep things dangerous. It made driving ludicrous; you'd drive for less than a minute, dismount, fight, drive for less than a minute, dismount, fight...ad infinitum.

Totally destroyed my interest in the game. However, the game is damn good looking. I am surprised that no one seems to have licensed the engine for use in other games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont like open world sandboxes as much as I used to.
Lately it seems to be a substitution for actual gameplay. I didnt like Far Cry 2 at all. BUT, for the price I highly encourage everyone to check out both games. For the price you really cant lose.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
I liked Farcry 2. I got about 75% done before I stopped playing. If it was $5 id buy just to have it on Steam. I dunno where I put the disc lol

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Definitely don't base your decision on the original Far Cry. Even though I love both games, the sequel is nothing like the first one. It's more like Crysis without aliens or nano-suit, set in a more gritty African setting with the most awesome fire physics ever. And the game has some neat gimmicks like weapons that can break (actually cooler than it sounds) and it's an open-world sandbox.

how is weapon breaking cool?

yeah, lets go fight this huge camp. uh oh, my gun broke and now all i have is this pistol and a knife while 30 bad guys with assault rifles are coming after me.

I agree that it's a bit more realistic, like if your weapon jams because you didn't clean it, but it happened way too quickly and too often in the game. you had to either pick up an enemy weapon then or go back to one of your "bases" to get a new weapon.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I played through both mainly for the visuals, which were gorgeous. I didn't like the gameplay that much in either game but preferred the original for the mostly interesting plot. If you haven't played it then I think you'll get at least $5 out of it.

My main problem with the sequel is that I just felt it had been done better in other games. As a sandbox I would have rather been playing GTA, and as a tactical stealth/shooter I would have rather been playing Hitman or Thief 2.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
how is weapon breaking cool?

yeah, lets go fight this huge camp. uh oh, my gun broke and now all i have is this pistol and a knife while 30 bad guys with assault rifles are coming after me.

I agree that it's a bit more realistic, like if your weapon jams because you didn't clean it, but it happened way too quickly and too often in the game. you had to either pick up an enemy weapon then or go back to one of your "bases" to get a new weapon.

It was a fun mechanic because it made you think more carefully and plan your attacks. Carrying a rifle you picked up off a dead enemy a day ago, and thinking of attacking a checkpoint? You need to weigh up the odds of your weapons jamming or breaking, and play the game in a more considered way.

I found it a very fun game mechanic. And frankly, if your weapons are actually breaking in a firefight, you're doing it wrong. If your weapon is jamming often, loot one of the many dead corpses around you.