Steam Summer Sale has begun

Feb 4, 2009
Per usual site is loading slow.
There is some kind of game where you get cards for the little I saw it *may* be a choose your own adventure thing.
Not sure what it is like because steam was moving at a snails pace.

Update here with good deals

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Was about to buy SW Jedi Fallen Order when I noticed EA play was only $30 for a year. That's tempting since I would like to try out SW squadrons too. Then you would get the 10% for Battlefield when it comes out.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Skelattack is a pretty fun 2D platformer and it's 85% off right now for just $3.00.
Iron Harvest is at 75% off again and I'll definitely be grabbing it this time since I missed it the last time it went on sale. Though I'll be waiting to grab the DLC/Deluxe edition since it's ridiculously priced.
Binding of Isaac Rebirth is also on sale and it's the final DLC to the Binding of Isaac chapter. If anyone enjoyed the previous BoI games, definitely grab this one (though a lot of people really hate the changes Edmund made with Rebirth).

That's pretty much it for now. I'm sure there's others out there that are well worth grabbing, but these were just the ones that stood out the most to me.

Edit: Escape from Tarkov is also on sale tomorrow and the 26th. I know it's not a Steam game but I've heard a lot of people mention it around the internet so I figured I'd toss it out that Nikita is putting it back on sale for the upcoming content patch. According to the in-game stats, I've sunk over 2,400 hours in the game in the last year, so I'd definitely recommend it if anyone loves a very hardcore shooter with a damn near 90 degree difficulty curve (seriously, this game is stupidly difficult for new players).

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Tons of my patient gamer wishlist is on deep discount.

Titanfall 2 for $6

Antichamber and Homeworld:Deserts of Kharak for $5.

Shadow of War is $7.

Battletech is finally down to $10.

I'll probably end up with a handful of games, maybe pick up some of the bottom of the bargain bin stuff and end up with a half dozen games for a $20.

But really nothing terribly exciting.

More interested in getting the badge for the sale than I am for the sale itself...

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Shadow of War is $7.
I'm trying to finish it right now. If it's the complete edition, definitely grab it for $7. When it was first released, the complete (Gold I think?) edition was $150+ but it's been heavily discounted since then.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
I'm having a hard time with the sames. Might just be false memory, but I seem to remember the sales being a lot deeper. I'm seeing mostly 10~33% discounts on the games. The super discounted games are 10+ years old or unknown games. And I don't have time to wade through thousands of random games in the sub-$1 section (though I'm sure there's some gems in there). I mostly rely on reviews and lists out there of good games that are not big publisher titles that are worth looking at and I just wishlist stuff and watch the sales over time. I'm never in a rush on a game and never buy on release. I'll wait a few years on a game after it's been out a while to see if it's worth my time. My time is limited and valuable so I'm not big on wasting hours and hours on a bad game. Priorities change too. I used to love to sink 400+ hours into an RPG or environmental story game. But these days I don't have that time. So I mostly look for fast coop games that we can play for a few minutes and stop and it's not a big deal, so I'm mainly looking at the coop games with local coop support. My kids see a single player game I'm on and are defeated when they cannot join in. So as much as I don't care for lots of the coop games, they love them, so gotta have some balance. I have over 400+ games in my wishlist but really it looks like I'm only gonna bite on a handful. I really was hoping for some more 75% discounts on good titles (even old ones).

So for right now, I'm looking at these in my cart but not sure if I'll buy:

Local coop games for all of us to play:

Cryptark (coop, $3.75)
Children of Morta (coop, $10.99)
Super Cane Magic Zero (coop, $9.99)
Blazing Chrome (coop, $6.79)
Unruly Heroes (coop, $7.99)

Random whatever game the kid wants:

Raft (ugh, for the kid, $13.39)

Games for me:

Witcher 3 (for me, $8)
Titanfall 2 (for me, $6)

Already at $66 just looking at these. Underwhelming so far.

Any suggestions for great sub-$5 games, especially with local coop are appreciated.

For myself, I tend to prefer single player games that are storyrich, environmental, with good campaigns, and don't care to re-play them. I'm done with online grinds and scheduling and stuff.

No sale on Baldur's Gate 3, lol. All the other old D&D games are on sale, but BG3 is MSRP at release. Sigh.

Very best,

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm trying to finish it right now. If it's the complete edition, definitely grab it for $7. When it was first released, the complete (Gold I think?) edition was $150+ but it's been heavily discounted since then.

- Looks like the "Definitive Edition" bundle which contains all the DLC is $9, so... in the cart it goes.

Shadows of Mordor was like a near perfect experience, between the tight combat and Gameplay, the actually *fun* collectibles and challenges, the open but not too open world(s) and the endlessly entertaining Nemesis system... I literally cannot recommend that game enough.

I know hardcore LOTR fans had some issues with it's playing fast and loose with the lore, but for a fairweather fan like myself it was just a complete package.

I hope SoW is more of the same...

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I hope SoW is more of the same...
I could go on a lengthy post about SoW because WB actually listened to the fans, but it's s royal pain in the ass to post from my phone.

It's definitely more of the same with plenty of extras added in. I do however have only two main gripes with the game.

1. Talion still takes his Spider-Man cosplay to an extreme level. I've ran straight at a barrel on the ground hoping to see him vault over but instead watch as he jumps almost at a 90 degree angle just because there was a wall he wanted to grab. Not too terrible but it was prevalent in the first game and still occurs in SoW.
2. Your captains can simply forget how to fight during duels when trying to infiltrate as a spy for a war chief. It's rare but it does happen where your captain will just strafe back and forth instead of attacking the other captain. RIP to my legendary level 55 captain who I watched get slowly beat to death by a level 29 normal captain...

Other than those two aspects, the game is outstanding and they are also very minor gripes.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I could go on a lengthy post about SoW because WB actually listened to the fans, but it's s royal pain in the ass to post from my phone.

It's definitely more of the same with plenty of extras added in. I do however have only two main gripes with the game.

1. Talion still takes his Spider-Man cosplay to an extreme level. I've ran straight at a barrel on the ground hoping to see him vault over but instead watch as he jumps almost at a 90 degree angle just because there was a wall he wanted to grab. Not too terrible but it was prevalent in the first game and still occurs in SoW.
2. Your captains can simply forget how to fight during duels when trying to infiltrate as a spy for a war chief. It's rare but it does happen where your captain will just strafe back and forth instead of attacking the other captain. RIP to my legendary level 55 captain who I watched get slowly beat to death by a level 29 normal captain...

Other than those two aspects, the game is outstanding and they are also very minor gripes.

- I've read some complaints about the "post-game grind" content WB studios seems to like to add at the end of their games, especially when they were playing around with the games as a service model. Something about having to grind some sort of Ork base defense thing in order to get the "real ending" for the game?

Any thoughts on that?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
- I've read some complaints about the "post-game grind" content WB studios seems to like to add at the end of their games, especially when they were playing around with the games as a service model. Something about having to grind some sort of Ork base defense thing in order to get the "real ending" for the game?

Any thoughts on that?
That's where I am currently in the game and it can definitely feel like a grind at first, but since you get the ability to garrison your captains and move them between regions, it's not that much of a grind.

During the game, you'll get to the point where you're tasked with killing the warlord of the region (each region has a fortress ruled by a warlord and each warlord has war chiefs) and once you kill the warlord, you control the fortress as well as the region. If you want an easier time killing the warlord, you can send your own recruited captains to infiltrate him or his war chiefs as spies who will betray them and attempt to kill them for you during the siege. You can also challenge the war chiefs individually and then order your own captains to move into the warlord position which will effectively make the siege vastly easier. There's a multitude of different ways you can tackle the fortress sieges and it's actually really fun slowly replacing all of the enemy war chiefs with your own captains, but there is definitely a grindy aspect to it later in the game because WB makes you first capture all the fortresses and then makes you defend them against really high level captains.

There's a complicated "Rock Paper Scissors" aspect to the game as well since all orks have strengths and weaknesses which you need to be aware of during your selection of who to use as war chiefs. If the majority of the attacking force is enraged by fire, then you definitely don't want any of your war chiefs to have fire weapons, so you can use the garrison menu to give them poison or curse weapons. If you're sending your captain to infiltrate a war chief who is mortally wounded by poison damage, then sending a captain wielding a poison weapon to infiltrate him as his bodyguard is a surefire way to kill that war chief instantly.

So, I suppose if you don't enjoy this aspect, you can always just skip the recruiting aspect and keep some captains in your garrison and move them around as needed, but considering how many variations of different captains there are in the game (some with pretty rare attributes and some with really unique visuals), I couldn't imagine it would be as fun if you just kept a retinue force with you at all times.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm not even gonna bother, but, if you are, you should look at what happened during the previous steam sale, by watching this video by The Spiffing Brit:
he basically managed to exploit it massively and getting a whole bunch of free stuff. A WHOLE BUNCH.

Feb 4, 2009
i'm not even gonna bother, but, if you are, you should look at what happened during the previous steam sale, by watching this video by The Spiffing Brit:
he basically managed to exploit it massively and getting a whole bunch of free stuff. A WHOLE BUNCH.

Wanna summarize what’s in the video, 20 minutes is a long time without having an idea what happened.

Reactions: NTMBK

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Wanna summarize what’s in the video, 20 minutes is a long time without having an idea what happened.
It was a exploit in a previous event that let you get a ton of steam xp and not this one as they just have a "choose your own adventure" minigame for some stickers and profile stuff.

At least it's not as bad as when the entire EA play exploit that allowed you to get free games on it you could resell if you had them on steam also since they would produce you cd-keys for use on EA play but they were not linked thus people were mass selling the cd-keys.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
I don't even care about the steam summer event for the event, I just want good deep discounts on great games. :(

I bought 8 games out of the 450+ I have in my wishlist, because those were the only ones with any sort of good sale and made it worth buying (10~15% doesn't even count as anything in my book, 20~35% will have me look at a big title but rarely will I still bite, and 50~65% are the deals that I'd rather see more of, and 75%~90% deals usually get me to buy even randomly through the year). Sadly most of the games on my wishlist are in the 20~35% range in discount so I didn't buy them mostly. The 8 titles I did buy were mostly deeply discounted. I spent $66 on 8 titles, which brought each to average $8.25, which is still way too high for me typically, mostly because I bought two games that were 50% or less discounted which through the average off. Had the discounts run deeper, I would have spend easily much more, if the titles in my wishlist were in the 75%+ discount range. But, as it is, could be a few years before I play some titles just because I will not spend more than $10 typically on a game.

Very best,

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ended up picking up a few games so far...
  • Android Assault Cactus
  • Last Epoch
  • Biped
  • Poly Bridge 2
  • shapez.io Deluxe Edition

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
CRAP!

It was on sale for a whole week and now theres only 1 hour 54 minutes left!

Sorry guys I should have posted this earlier. Its a great game and even Yahtzee at Zero Punctuation liked it. And 40% off is a real bargain.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Middle Earth games are heavily discounted this weekend:

If anyone was on the fence for either Shadow of Mordor or Shadow of War, I highly suggest you buy them during this sale. $12 for Shadow of War Definitive Edition which I believe cost over $100 on launch back when it was called Shadow of War Gold Edition. I've sunk over 100 hours in both games, so for less than $20 you can easily grab over 200 hours worth of gameplay.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Quakecon sale is on BTW.