Steam sale

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
What have been some of your favorite co-op games so far?

I've been wanting to finish the original Overcooked and play the Overcooked 2 add-ons, but my SO isn't a fan of timed games. It's a bummer for me, because what I enjoy about playing Overcooked is working together to overcome the awkward level mechanics. I filtered my games on co-op, and we ended up playing Cat's Quest 2, which is... fine. I think the game really needs an outfit system in it though... especially since you can change equipment in combat and the gameplay freezes in the menu. (In other words, it only provides a convenience advantage to the player.)
I think overcooked 1 and 2 are our most-played game, especially with 4 players coop it's so much fun. Other similar games that we really enjoyed are Tools Up, Catastranauts, Out of Space. We also enjoyed puzzle adventure like Trine 2, The Cave. I got her into musou type fighting game with One Piece Pirate Warrior 3. We just finished Dynasty Warriors 8, and now started on Orochi Warriors 4. We used to played Lego games a lot too, they are not bad for coop. Gamed that are too difficult to progress don't work for us, prime example being Cuphead.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Broforce was a hilarious masterpiece to co-op if you're both 80s/90s kids. Helldivers is great as well but it's a game where more people means a lot more chances to get overwhelmed.
We have Broforce and we enjoyed it quite a bit especially with our nephews together. We usually played short session at a time because it just doesn't have the story or progression that will get us hooked. It's good old school fun. I'll keep an eye on Helldivers, as long as the gameplay is not too punishing or frustrating then my wife should be ok with it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
i picked up Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Castlvania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, and Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

....because I don't have enough games to play already lol. A couple of friends suggested I stream on twitch just as a way to make sure I chip away at my back log (that's what they do). Not a bad idea.

-Let us know how Deserts of Kharak is. I've been trying to cycle myself back into RTS gaming, but I've largely been playing older titles like Dawn of War, C&C 3 and currently Company of Heroes.

Curious what newer games are doing with the genre.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
We have Broforce and we enjoyed it quite a bit especially with our nephews together. We usually played short session at a time because it just doesn't have the story or progression that will get us hooked. It's good old school fun. I'll keep an eye on Helldivers, as long as the gameplay is not too punishing or frustrating then my wife should be ok with it.
It's definitely easier if you buy all the DLC packs, but you don't really need them. It's a lot of fun but since progression is based on global players (everyone is working towards eliminating the three enemy races), you could get stuck for a bit on a very hard level but I believe it only takes a day to reset. It's a fantastic tactical top-down shooter that shouldn't be overlooked.

bought Vermintide II... cool game that's easy to jump in and out of. doesn't seem to be too many people online though.
I loved playing Vermintide 2 but I didn't have anyone consistently to play with who was half decent at the game. It seemed like I was paired with people who would just bee-line straight for the exit and skip everything else or people who would continually get lost and ask us to come help them when they were grabbed by a hook rat.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
-Let us know how Deserts of Kharak is. I've been trying to cycle myself back into RTS gaming, but I've largely been playing older titles like Dawn of War, C&C 3 and currently Company of Heroes.

i'm 2 missions in to Deserts of Kharak, and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed so far. I didn't play much of the original homeworld - just a few skirmishes vs. CPU and I never beat the campaign (though I do own HW: Remastered). The music is really good, and I like the vehicle design and AI swarming (I know the original HW did this as well). Somehow I just connect to it a little more vs. being a full 3d space game. The hills and valleys of the desert give the game a height dimension, though not the full 3d environment of the original. Still, the first hour has been good.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think overcooked 1 and 2 are our most-played game, especially with 4 players coop it's so much fun. Other similar games that we really enjoyed are Tools Up, Catastranauts, Out of Space. We also enjoyed puzzle adventure like Trine 2, The Cave. I got her into musou type fighting game with One Piece Pirate Warrior 3. We just finished Dynasty Warriors 8, and now started on Orochi Warriors 4. We used to played Lego games a lot too, they are not bad for coop. Gamed that are too difficult to progress don't work for us, prime example being Cuphead.

Ah, she pretty much told me flat out that she doesn't really like the timed games. We have played Tools Up! as well, and while it is timed, I think that was a bit more palatable. Although, I do find the rotating mechanic kind of frustrating at times. For example, this one time, we finished with a good 40+ seconds left on the clock, but we had one item still left in the house SOMEWHERE. We kept looking around a bit until I remembered the goofy rotating mechanic, grabbed the map, rotated the screen, and saw that one item was nestled in a random corner.

Speaking of those sort of games, we tried out the Moving Out! demo on the Switch awhile ago. I wasn't a huge fan of the moving mechanics when dealing with large items (the axis of rotation shifts to the center of the object). That's kind of my loathed aspect of games... awkward/bad controls. It's why I can't stand games like Gangbeasts. However, the game seemed acceptable to others and has plenty of co-op opportunity, so that might be up your alley!

I haven't heard of Catastranauts or Out of Space, so I'll have to check those out. I used to play a lot of musuo games in the past (back in the PS2 Dynasty Warriors 3 era), but that might be an interesting genre to check out. Although, I may have to avoid specific tie-in games when I know she hasn't seen the anime (e.g. the One Piece musuo games), but I cold probably suggest something like the Gundam musuo games (PS3, I think?) or maybe Hyrule Warriors for the Switch.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Ah, she pretty much told me flat out that she doesn't really like the timed games. We have played Tools Up! as well, and while it is timed, I think that was a bit more palatable. Although, I do find the rotating mechanic kind of frustrating at times. For example, this one time, we finished with a good 40+ seconds left on the clock, but we had one item still left in the house SOMEWHERE. We kept looking around a bit until I remembered the goofy rotating mechanic, grabbed the map, rotated the screen, and saw that one item was nestled in a random corner.

Speaking of those sort of games, we tried out the Moving Out! demo on the Switch awhile ago. I wasn't a huge fan of the moving mechanics when dealing with large items (the axis of rotation shifts to the center of the object). That's kind of my loathed aspect of games... awkward/bad controls. It's why I can't stand games like Gangbeasts. However, the game seemed acceptable to others and has plenty of co-op opportunity, so that might be up your alley!

I haven't heard of Catastranauts or Out of Space, so I'll have to check those out. I used to play a lot of musuo games in the past (back in the PS2 Dynasty Warriors 3 era), but that might be an interesting genre to check out. Although, I may have to avoid specific tie-in games when I know she hasn't seen the anime (e.g. the One Piece musuo games), but I cold probably suggest something like the Gundam musuo games (PS3, I think?) or maybe Hyrule Warriors for the Switch.
I totally understand what you are talking about with the Tools Up issue. Happened to us a few times too, but overall it's quite enjoyable for coop. Catastranauts is even more hectic than Overcooked so she may not like it. You should watched some youtube coop gameplay videos with her first, Stumpt is one of the coop channel I recommend. For Out of Space I was disappointed that it doesn't have campaign at first, but we actually had a lot of fun with the random single game levels that we completed all the achievements. I have Gangbeast too but we hardly touch it.

For the One Piece game, we are not into the anime/manga but we definitely heard and know about it, so I don't know if it will make it more fun if you have watched the anime first, but from what I can tell it's her favorite among the musou games we've played, including Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. She kept asking me when is OPPW4 coming out, then I got so disappointed that it doesn't have local split-screen coop when it's released in Steam. I noticed that a few other newer anime musou games also listed as single-player only. What a bummer.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I totally understand what you are talking about with the Tools Up issue. Happened to us a few times too, but overall it's quite enjoyable for coop. Catastranauts is even more hectic than Overcooked so she may not like it. You should watched some youtube coop gameplay videos with her first, Stumpt is one of the coop channel I recommend. For Out of Space I was disappointed that it doesn't have campaign at first, but we actually had a lot of fun with the random single game levels that we completed all the achievements. I have Gangbeast too but we hardly touch it.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I did still enjoy Tools Up! quite a bit even with its annoyances. The fun part for me is usually working together an divying up the tasks. "Delivery guy is coming, I'll grab it!" "Okay!" There's just something satisfying about working together well to finish something! Gangbeasts is mostly something that the kids enjoy. In a similar vein as that, we got a freebie from Humble Bundle called Headsnatchers that is a similar sort of free-for-all, zany game, but it doesn't have the purposefully awful controls of Gangbeasts. It involves knocking someone hard enough to knock their head off (it's rather cartoon-y), and then do something with it (that depends on the level).

For the One Piece game, we are not into the anime/manga but we definitely heard and know about it, so I don't know if it will make it more fun if you have watched the anime first, but from what I can tell it's her favorite among the musou games we've played, including Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. She kept asking me when is OPPW4 coming out, then I got so disappointed that it doesn't have local split-screen coop when it's released in Steam. I noticed that a few other newer anime musou games also listed as single-player only. What a bummer.

I think I'll mention the One Piece game then. If I recall, I think it follows the story of the series... but I may be thinking of some of the other One Piece games. But if it does, then it could be a sort of way to skirt around watching 900+ episodes. :p That is a bummer to hear about the fourth game though, but I guess it's not too surprising. I think developers assume that people just use computers with monitors, which seems silly given that since the switch from component to HDMI, it has been easier than ever to use a computer with a TV.

Oh, I almost forgot... there was one game that I was going to mention: Lovers in Dangerous Spacetime. Now, to be clear, I haven't played this game (yet), but I have watched people play it before. From my understanding, it's sort of like a spaceship survival game, but the challenge comes in that you play as two different people inside the spaceship that have to man specific controls to perform certain actions. For example, someone has to use the weapon systems to fight back while another player manages the steering.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Really enjoyed Deserts of Kharak. The campaign is a little short would be my only real big complaint, but the story is enjoyable. On the more minor side - sometimes the movement AI can be a little wonky, with units crashing into each other and not moving around one another.

For a $5 sale? Absolutely worth the buy. If you plan on playing skirmish mode, only 2 factions are available with the base game. The other two are DLC (no idea if that goes on sale as well).

Reactions: GodisanAtheist