Steam sale

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well, at this point it'd be difficult for them to come up with something new and refreshing considering they've been doing the Steam sales for almost two decades, especially since there are usually two or three major sales a year.

Reactions: zinfamous

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I jumped on the Yakuza 0-2 bundle for $27. Even better I added a couple of other cheap games to get my total right to $30 so I could use the $5 off on $30 promotion so got the Yakuza 0-2 bundle for $25 plus a couple of free Sonic games (Sonic Generations and Sonic Adventure 2). If anyone is looking for an amazing $5 game, check Yakuza 0.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I guess the days of earning a bunch of trading cards and items for free and selling them for a little spending money are long gone. As far as I can see you can get one card today by going through today's discovery queue and it's currently selling for $0.12.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, at this point it'd be difficult for them to come up with something new and refreshing considering they've been doing the Steam sales for almost two decades, especially since there are usually two or three major sales a year.

I wasn't talking about a big sales event, but about good deals, real bargains.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
5 dollars off on purchase over 30 dollars.
So make sure you add everything in cart and buy them at once so you get that 5 dollar off.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
so, now that the WH Total War games aren't $60 or whatever (I know they go on sale often; I just always ignore it), is there any reason to go with the first one, or is it actually better than the 2nd one for some reason?

basically, which is the one to get if I haven't played either? I know from earlier thread that they are a bit different from traditional TW games (less of the Empire stuff, right?).

I shall eventually play it by ~2032. :D

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
so, now that the WH Total War games aren't $60 or whatever (I know they go on sale often; I just always ignore it), is there any reason to go with the first one, or is it actually better than the 2nd one for some reason?

basically, which is the one to get if I haven't played either? I know from earlier thread that they are a bit different from traditional TW games (less of the Empire stuff, right?).

Others' advice may vary, but I'd say it just boils down to which factions you find most interesting. If you have both, there's a mode where you can play with all the factions, and DLC may blur the lines a bit, but that's the big difference imo. Want Holy Roman Empire humans, dwarves, greenskins, classic undead, etc? Go with the first game. Want lizardmen riding dinosaurs, dark and high elves, rats with guns, etc? Go with the second.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Lizardmen riding dinosaurs? That sounds more proper then.

I guess I was always confused, because I recall the 2nd one came out very quickly, like maybe a year after the first was released, and they all tend to have their normal TW DLC anyway, so I always thought that maybe the 2nd one was more like a "reboot" in a way of the first one, if that makes sense?

So, the main difference is the type of units (just skin, or also real functionality?) between the 2. I guess, which one is more like Warhammer than a typical, historical TW game, if that is a point of disctinction.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
One of the nice things about the game is that there really are major differences in functionality between the factions. It's very definitely not just a matter of differently skinned units.

So far as it goes, I wouldn't say either really plays like a historical TW game. If I had to pick a theme, I'd say TW1 is more the classic fantasy side of the Warhammer universe while TW2 gets the crazier side of things. That's definitely not a sharp distinction though.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

IIUC, they set it up that you're supposed to buy both, because having both unlocks a popular faction.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
doom eternal and gears 5 are both 50% off.

so many games i want to play. not enough desire to put in the hours to beat them all.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Desserts of Kharak hit my no brainer buy price of $5, so will definitely scoop that up.

Undertale and Papers Please are also <$5, but I often don't feel I am cool enough for the indie gaming scene and the low-fi graphics and experimental concepts scare me a bit as I've gotten more conservative in my gaming tastes as I've aged.

Pyre and Plague Inc are hovering just above the $5 sweet spot at $6, so if there are any strong recommendations for these two I might jump on them.

Otherwise, for a lot of games, it looks like $7.50 is the new $5.00 floor price I would see so often in the past. Guess its inflation, or its just devs tired of giving their games away.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I guess the days of earning a bunch of trading cards and items for free and selling them for a little spending money are long gone. As far as I can see you can get one card today by going through today's discovery queue and it's currently selling for $0.12.

Yup. I wasn't paying attention and blasted through three rounds of my queue. Then I discovered Steam only gave me ONE trading card.

Lesson learned.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I wasn't talking about a big sales event, but about good deals, real bargains.
It's likely you're sitting in the same boat as I am. All of the big titles I wanted, I bought when they had a real bargain (flash sales with 80+% off). There's a few out there that I never got around to buying yet but that's just because I haven't gotten around to knowing when and if I'll ever have time to play them. I mostly ignore sales these days because my backlog is so ridiculous, that by the time I whittle my log down to the point where I'm looking for something new to play, the game I had planned on buying years prior, is now dirt cheap anyways. I guess it works out great for me since I despise the mentality of "gotta be the first one to play/beat this game!" so it tends to help with both financial and enjoyment aspects as the game will definitely be cheaper and it'll be loaded with patches to fix all the issues.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Ya, I was kind of interested in 'The Happy Few', but with DLC it was $100, sales took it down to $40, $30 - now it's $18. So planning to get that.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Ended up skipping this sale entirely, despite earlier thinking I would grab some of the fivers on my wishlist. Everyone knows the story: Already have too many games and Steam has enough sales that by the time I'm looking for something new my wishlist will be discounted again.

Nowadays I'm finding the winter/holiday sale much more appealing. Prices appear to drop lower (at least i feel like they do) as publishers "clear out" their old inventory or drum up interest for the new year and pad out their balance sheets. Also, I'm personally ready to buy games as I've typically knocked out a decent number of titles from my backlog and I'm already in a spendy mood with the holidays around.

The sale did get me to go through the personalized recommendations and such and I probably added a solid 10-15 games to my wishlist and another 5 or so games in early access that I'm following, so Valve just primed to pump to get more money out of me later.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This morning, I picked up:

- Scythe and expansion
- We, the Revolution
- Gloomhaven
- Shadow Council: the puppeteers
- Death Trader: cold war
- Bloons TD 6 ("overwhelmingly positive tower defense I'd never heard of)
- Command & Conquer remastered
- Age of Empires Definitive edition (completing the collection with AoE 2)

I held off on others, such as 'Steel Division 2', and two modern versions similar to classic Hexen and Doom, "Amid Evil" and the 'overwhelmingly positive" Dusk.
I accidentally bought Fault Milestone 2: Above. Had my eye on the series, will start with 1, but too much stuff now.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Running out of local coop games to play with wife, so grab Warrior Orochi 4, Street of Rage 4, Portal Knight, and Children of Morta. Normally I wouldn't buy at these lackluster sale price, but I need couch coop games to play with wife during the pandemic.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Running out of local coop games to play with wife, so grab Warrior Orochi 4, Street of Rage 4, Portal Knight, and Children of Morta. Normally I wouldn't buy at these lackluster sale price, but I need couch coop games to play with wife during the pandemic.

What have been some of your favorite co-op games so far?

I've been wanting to finish the original Overcooked and play the Overcooked 2 add-ons, but my SO isn't a fan of timed games. It's a bummer for me, because what I enjoy about playing Overcooked is working together to overcome the awkward level mechanics. I filtered my games on co-op, and we ended up playing Cat's Quest 2, which is... fine. I think the game really needs an outfit system in it though... especially since you can change equipment in combat and the gameplay freezes in the menu. (In other words, it only provides a convenience advantage to the player.)

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Broforce was a hilarious masterpiece to co-op if you're both 80s/90s kids. Helldivers is great as well but it's a game where more people means a lot more chances to get overwhelmed.

Reactions: mooncancook

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ended up picking up Just Cause 3 on the last day after generating a foil card playing Persona 4 Golden that paid for most of the cost of the game. Never played any Just Cause games but it looks like a fun sandbox to screw around in.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i picked up Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Castlvania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, and Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

....because I don't have enough games to play already lol. A couple of friends suggested I stream on twitch just as a way to make sure I chip away at my back log (that's what they do). Not a bad idea.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
bought Vermintide II... cool game that's easy to jump in and out of. doesn't seem to be too many people online though.

also grabbed the Warhammer Martyr game because I guess it's kind of like PoE, Diablo