Steam purchases

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Does anyone happen to know if I can buy a US version of a steam game from where I live in Canada using my VPN? The game's 50% off if I buy it on the US site. I mean, will it work when I don't have the VPN running?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Does anyone happen to know if I can buy a US version of a steam game from where I live in Canada using my VPN? The game's 50% off if I buy it on the US site. I mean, will it work when I don't have the VPN running?
Its against Steam Rules (Written somewhere) to activate games using VPN. That being said, and Its not my words, I am not pro for it or against it but I have heard of Steam Blocking the game sometimes from the account after a few days after it has being bought when they use VPN. So in the end you might save a couple of bucks but it isn't worth the risk in my opinion.

You should look online for cheaper prices. Even try eBay. Buying from different sellers is also against the Rules but I think majority of people do this and don't get in trouble. Big major discounts compared to regular Steam store prices. I've seeing games cost $20 on Steam and like $5 somewhere else.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've had decent luck with Kinguin.net too but I thought products for both US and Canadian markets were the same on Steam, just different currency.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've had decent luck with Kinguin.net too but I thought products for both US and Canadian markets were the same on Steam, just different currency.
Apparently not. On the US site, the game I want is 50% off but not on the Canadian one. Just sort of sucks, you know?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Will it work if you have someone in your friend's list buy and gift it to you? Shouldn't be too hard to Paypal someone the money and have them just buy it for you - especially if it's a high price game where 50% off will save you $20 or more.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Will it work if you have someone in your friend's list buy and gift it to you? Shouldn't be too hard to Paypal someone the money and have them just buy it for you - especially if it's a high price game where 50% off will save you $20 or more.
I don't even need to do that cause I have a VPN. I CAN purchase it but I just don't know what will happen when I try to play.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't even need to do that cause I have a VPN. I CAN purchase it but I just don't know what will happen when I try to play.

I think you missed his point.

If you have a friend in the region where it is cheap buy it and gift it to you there would be no reason for it not to work and you would not have to worry about it being disabled or anything like that or having to keep a VPN running all the time you play it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
VPNs come with risk. A gift is risk-free if you can trust them with money and I know several people on this site would probably be willing to do the same.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I think you missed his point.
If you have a friend in the region where it is cheap buy it and gift it to you there would be no reason for it not to work and you would not have to worry about it being disabled or anything like that or having to keep a VPN running all the time you play it.
Oh, I know I totally missed his point. :) Because I don't even know what a friends list is. How does this gifting business work and how could someone possibly gift me a game in Canada bought in the US if I can't buy it myself? The reason I don't know this is that I don't use Steam for anything. I literally buy PES and don't do anything else with Steam.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
VPNs come with risk. A gift is risk-free if you can trust them with money and I know several people on this site would probably be willing to do the same.
Couldn't you create a second Steam account through the VPN as the 'friend' account, and simply buy it for yourself and gift it to yourself as well?

Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Couldn't you create a second Steam account through the VPN as the 'friend' account, and simply buy it for yourself and gift it to yourself as well?
I love it!! That's brilliant. I think however (but I have no idea) that it's the purchasing through a VPN that causes the problems.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Oh, I know I totally missed his point. :) Because I don't even know what a friends list is. How does this gifting business work and how could someone possibly gift me a game in Canada bought in the US if I can't buy it myself? The reason I don't know this is that I don't use Steam for anything. I literally buy PES and don't do anything else with Steam.
So, if you add someone on Steam as a friend, they can buy a game and give it to you as a gift via Steam. Their region doesn't matter as you can have friends from all over the world and gifts aren't restricted.

Doing anything on Steam through a VPN is asking for trouble. Steam could detect the VPN purchase and block the sale or even lock the account. When I looked into it, the general consensus was "don't do it".

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Doing anything on Steam through a VPN is asking for trouble. Steam could detect the VPN purchase and block the sale or even lock the account. When I looked into it, the general consensus was "don't do it".
So you're saying selling it to myself isn't a good idea with a VPN. The problem is I don't know anyone on Steam because I don't use it for anything.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Do you only play single player games or only play offline? The vast majority of my friend's list are from other countries that I've met while playing games (mostly during my L4D2 days) while others have added me looking for help on certain games via GameFAQs and here.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
This sort of stuff is a great way to lose all your Steam games. Don't tit about with VPNs, it's not worth the risk.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
This sort of stuff is a great way to lose all your Steam games. Don't tit about with VPNs, it's not worth the risk.
Yeah, I hear you. I've been told this several times now so clearly its advice worth taking, but thanks anyway.
Just sucks how much cheaper it is in the US and that i don't have access to that.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well, it looks like your only option is to either shell out the extra money, or go online and have someone gift it to you. Since you don't have any friends on Steam, it might take a while for you to meet someone you trust enough with money. I've bought games for other people on my friend's list for many different reasons, so there's definite perks to playing with others online.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I generally prefer to play single player but there are some games out there (L4D2, TF2, etc.) that are extremely fun and are designed to have other people with you. The experience can (and usually will) be ruined by randoms joining your party, but every once in while you'll find someone you click with and if you add them, you can play with them again. I've met quite a few people online that I later met in real life that I still speak to today. Considering 99% of my gaming time is spent solo, I still wouldn't give up the lasting friendships I've made with others online.

Reactions: tinpanalley

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Considering 99% of my gaming time is spent solo, I still wouldn't give up the lasting friendships I've made with others online.
That's really nice. So cool you've had such a great experience. For me, gaming is just not something I do with others. My wife and I will sit and play through adventure or point and click games together taking turns but I don't like human opponents in my sports games at all. Just how I play. :)