Steam program(s) on 2 hard drives?

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have never downloaded a game directly from Steam until Skyrim. I sent Skyrim and Steam to drive D (1 T hard drive). No problem. HOWEVER, before downloading from Steam, I had installed the latest Deus Ex on drive D from a disc. After downloading Skyrim/Steam, Steam "grabbed" Deus Ex.:\ The shortcut disappeared. Now I find this on my drive C (SSD):
Steam Library
Steam Apps
Common Files
Deus Ex
Program Steam Services

Do I move all this to drive D? I do not want games on the SSD. And do I have to let Steam know that downloaded games go to D and not C? If Steam was a person I'd say, "You've got some nerve!":mad: I know gamers love Steam, but to me it has become a nosy neighbor.

The Wife

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been using Steam for a long time, and I don't recall it ever searching your hard drive for installed games. Although, it's certainly possible that it does... I probably would've unchecked that box if I saw it. :p

Anyway, Steam does support multiple game install locations, so I wouldn't worry about it.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
If you installed Steam on drive D, it should default installing any new game to drive D.
It wasn't until the last year that they even gave you an option for the game install destination - it was always your Steam drive.

TheNewGuy

Feb 16, 2001
I have my main steam folder on my SSD, but have most of the games on a different drive. I simply make sure to select the second drive when installing new games....\

I don't know if you can simply move it, without uninstalling and then re-installing steam on your drive D. That said, if you do install new software, always select your drive D before installation...

Dave

Dave

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I've been having many issues with Steam games on different drives since they changed the format (more efficient format message) and gave us the ability to have Steam game folders on another drive (SteamLibrary).

I used to install games to my SSD, then move them to another drive when I needed room for new games, but the efficient format change destroys any links made by 'mklink', and Steam thinks the game isn't there and tries to re-download it.

The SteamLibrary folders have a file created when you install a game, so you can't simply move a folder from one Steam folder to another; Steam won't see it in the destination folder without that file that is created when Steam itself downloads the game into that Steamlibrary.

But, 'mklink' still works - just realize if you use it, and any kind of format change happens to those game files, then you will need to re-download the game.

So, for example if you wanted to move Deus Ex to your D drive, you would move the folder over first, then open up a command prompt (type cmd in the run textbox), and enter :

Code:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Deus Ex" "D:\DestinationFolder\Deus Ex"

Where DestinationFolder is the path on your D drive where you want to put the game files. Mklink is like a pointer handled by Windows, so when Steam looks for a game, Windows automatically points it to where the files actually are.

Personally, I'm in the process of reinstalling 200 games a bit by bit to a new SteamLibrary on a dedicated Steam drive.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Uh, you don't need that anymore. Steam has allowed you to pick an install directory at any destination drive for some time now, at least 8 months I think.

That is true, but I do not believe it lets you move it after its installed( I have not tried)

so if you have a game installed in you c: which is an ssd but finished playing it but may want to go back to it when a dlc comes out for example but are low on space you could move it off the c: ssd and to d: hdd and it would still work

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
That is true, but I do not believe it lets you move it after its installed( I have not tried)

so if you have a game installed in you c: which is an ssd but finished playing it but may want to go back to it when a dlc comes out for example but are low on space you could move it off the c: ssd and to d: hdd and it would still work

Exactly right. I move games back and forth off my SSD based on how much I play a game, from what I've seen Steam doesn't allow that so Steam mover still has a use.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've been having many issues with Steam games on different drives since they changed the format (more efficient format message) and gave us the ability to have Steam game folders on another drive (SteamLibrary).

I used to install games to my SSD, then move them to another drive when I needed room for new games, but the efficient format change destroys any links made by 'mklink', and Steam thinks the game isn't there and tries to re-download it.

The SteamLibrary folders have a file created when you install a game, so you can't simply move a folder from one Steam folder to another; Steam won't see it in the destination folder without that file that is created when Steam itself downloads the game into that Steamlibrary.

But, 'mklink' still works - just realize if you use it, and any kind of format change happens to those game files, then you will need to re-download the game.

So, for example if you wanted to move Deus Ex to your D drive, you would move the folder over first, then open up a command prompt (type cmd in the run textbox), and enter :

Code:
mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Deus Ex" "D:\DestinationFolder\Deus Ex"

Where DestinationFolder is the path on your D drive where you want to put the game files. Mklink is like a pointer handled by Windows, so when Steam looks for a game, Windows automatically points it to where the files actually are.

Personally, I'm in the process of reinstalling 200 games a bit by bit to a new SteamLibrary on a dedicated Steam drive.

You are doing way too much work. To move games from one drive to another, just move the game's folder, uninstall inside Steam and then reinstall pointing to the new location. Steam goes through a verification process and then adds the game back to your library. This is how I moved all my games to my new laptop instead of downloading them. I also use this method on my laptop since the SSD is too small for all game at the same time.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
If you installed Steam on drive D, it should default installing any new game to drive D.
It wasn't until the last year that they even gave you an option for the game install destination - it was always your Steam drive.

Though you could create ntfs junctions for individual games to move them to less crowded drives.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
You are doing way too much work. To move games from one drive to another, just move the game's folder, uninstall inside Steam and then reinstall pointing to the new location. Steam goes through a verification process and then adds the game back to your library. This is how I moved all my games to my new laptop instead of downloading them. I also use this method on my laptop since the SSD is too small for all game at the same time.

First thing I tried... it does not work. The Steamlibrary folder gets an 'appmanifest' file when you install to it, that is not there when you move a folder. If you move a folder, and then tell Steam to install it there, it WILL re-download the game even if the folder is there.

Are you sure you aren't talking pre-Steamlibrary (before Steam gave the option to install elsewhere)? Because it used to work that way, but I tried it a couple of times and every single time Steam re-downloaded the game.

Haven't tried manually editing the 'appmanifest' files paths, and then copying that over into the Steamlibrary with the game folder... hmmm, going to try that.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
First thing I tried... it does not work. The Steamlibrary folder gets an 'appmanifest' file when you install to it, that is not there when you move a folder. If you move a folder, and then tell Steam to install it there, it WILL re-download the game even if the folder is there.

Are you sure you aren't talking pre-Steamlibrary (before Steam gave the option to install elsewhere)? Because it used to work that way, but I tried it a couple of times and every single time Steam re-downloaded the game.

Haven't tried manually editing the 'appmanifest' files paths, and then copying that over into the Steamlibrary with the game folder... hmmm, going to try that.

I just did it yesterday and it doesn't redownload the game. It should saying discovering files when you point to the new location.