Discussion Steam OS 3.0 is working pretty well on my 5700G.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Craft Computing covered it. Vid should answer most questions you might have.

The install went fast; I'm running the KDE Plasma desktop.

Did some daily driver stuff like web, youtube, and playing a transcoded movie file. Then played some Skyrim Special Edition. APU is running great using 1080p custom settings. I let it finish compiling the Vulcan shaders first. Half Life 2 runs on just about anything, so that was a given.

Need to format a drive for it, before downloading any bigger games to try. Installed it on a 128GB m.2 SATA as that was at hand; not much room for games. Also, it's a mini-ITX build with only one m.2 on the board; didn't want to mess with adding an extra internal drive needing power and data cable.

Which brings up the only small issue so far: it won't read NTFS. Hence, I couldn't use my current game drive. From a little reading, it is evidently recommended not to bother with adding the functionality. Popular opinion seems to be to take the time to download everything onto storage dedicated to Steam OS. Perhaps some of you more powerful Linux users can advise us about that?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I want to say they actually include the ntfs module in new kernels because it's fairly stable, but it's probably just included in some distributions by default. I know I don't have to do anything special to write to ntfs on linux mint. That said, ntfs isn't really as performant as linux file systems and if you're planning to share the install between Windows and SteamOS I'm not sure how seamless that will be anyway.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Do you use any application that writes constantly to the NTFS volume? Never had any irrecoverable data loss using NTFS in Linux Mint?

I only use NTFS for some backup external drives that are occasionally shared with a Windows VM. I had a lost file container on one of them but I believe the problem there had to do with dismounting the external drive and removing it before it was ready, not anything wrong with ntfs handling. But who knows?