Steam moving into non-gaming software

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Here's to hoping for 75% off Photo, Video, and music producing apps! :p won't happen tho.

r3dsh1ft

Jul 31, 2012
If i have to be on steam to use anything other than games... no thank you! I like steam because of the convenience yes, but i think that is goi ng to far by requiring steam to use a regular app. Seems like it could hinder freedom and it gives me a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I think this is a good idea.
I also think it ll put "products" into more hands than before, ei companies will likely sell more from this.
Because many know steam, from playing games, but not nessarly how to find a site for some software developer.

Here's to hoping for 75% off Photo, Video, and music producing apps! :p won't happen tho.
^ hopeing for that too :) maybe not 75% but some saveings.
This is good for consumers.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
If i have to be on steam to use anything other than games... no thank you! I like steam because of the convenience yes, but i think that is goi ng to far by requiring steam to use a regular app. Seems like it could hinder freedom and it gives me a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

I do agree with this..I prefer my apps mobile and on multiple machines, and regardless of what the "majority" think..there is no need for internet for everything.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
This is terrible for consumers.
Steam DRM barely works for games. Add more types of application to it and it just becomes a giant mass and a total pain for anything more than single user on a single machine at a time use scenario.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
@ImpusE69

With you on that, Id like to see software on steam.
I wouldnt like to be required to be online logged into steam to use said software.

georgec84

May 9, 2011
So when two people in the house both need to use the same software, they won't be able to because only one person can use the Steam account. Unless you buy a copy for each distinct Steam account...

That sounds much better than buying retail software which has multiple licenses...because since it's on Steam it'll have achievements!

Last edited:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
It's kind of like when newegg started selling more then PC stuff ... kind of weird at first, but I am sure it won't hurt the gaming aspect of it.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

While I agree with you on this, there really isn't a logical argument to be made here. At least not one that I can see. If you are willing to 'Be on Steam' for one thing, why not another? or at least that is what Valve is thinking.

Where I think it will impact is that they are boxing themselves out of business clients. No corporation is going to want a requirement of having Steam on their work terminals.

but at the end of the day, if they can get away with it (i.e. people will do it) then they will. Pure and simple. Then it comes down to 'Vote with your money' and hope that the lazy ones who will just put up with it won't out number you.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
If Steam would ever pull the plug on my games I'd just curse them and get over it. If it were my work apps, I'd reaaally hate them.

And then there's the saves. Savegames on Steam? Sign me up. Saved data files and setting configurations on Steam? I guess that's the cloud part and it can get icky. Automatic updating? heheheh..

But if its just another way to buy an app, there will always be cases where it can make sense.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Steam holiday sale Adobe Photoshop - $5

You'll probably never see that occurring with Adobe apps. Adobe is very guarded with its apps and it is very picky on how it spends resources for app development in terms of what platforms they are willing to support.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I don't see this as that big of a deal. Stardock has had stuff like Fences on Impulse since the beginning. This might introduce some cool new programs that would have never surfaced otherwise. As long as they carefully separate the sections between games and everything else without making a mess of the UI.

I really think a slim version of Steam could be very useful though. It's bulky. Not something I would want to have running in the background 24/7 to run my apps. Make a portable version for a thumbdrive so that I can install and run my apps from the drive itself while maintaining cloud saves would be very nice.

I really which OS creators(MS, Apple...) would keep their OS's barebone though so that third parties could freely do what they want. I don't want to have marketplace bullshit default installed on my OS and whatever other crap they come up with. The way MS likes to try to integrate stuff poorly into everything is so annoying. And they usually half-ass it. I don't want some half-ass marketplace that I can't get rid off taking up space in every folder I open. I hope a new OS arises soon from somewhere to help keep these bastards in line.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
So when two people in the house both need to use the same software, they won't be able to because only one person can use the Steam account. Unless you buy a copy for each distinct Steam account...

We don't know this yet. Although technically depending upon the license you're supposed to be buying two copies already anyway.

You're not a software pirate, are you george?