Steam Midweek Madness: Deus Ex series 75% off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Swivelguy2

Sep 9, 2009
Deus Ex IW is fun, but the first game it is not. Worth $2.50 and the time spent playing it, but it has been HEAVILY consolfied.

Absolutely backwards IMO. The original Deus Ex was revolutionary, engaging, complex, open-ended, and broodingly mysterious. The sequel is a load of poo in comparison.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
Absolutely backwards IMO. The original Deus Ex was revolutionary, engaging, complex, open-ended, and broodingly mysterious. The sequel is a load of poo in comparison.

DE1 was far from revolutionary considering it was just a knock off of the System Shock series

i'll never understand the love people have for this game. I thought it was horrible back in 2000. but, to each his own...

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
DE1 was far from revolutionary considering it was just a knock off of the System Shock series

i'll never understand the love people have for this game. I thought it was horrible back in 2000. but, to each his own...

system shock was the start i agree, and system shock 2 was awesome. Dues ex is not revolutionary but it is a good game.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
for a while I bought a bunch of those 2$ games from impulse and steam...
but I realized that I haven't actually downloaded and played a single one. so I stopped.

I played deus ex enough times already, I doubt I am going to play it again any time soon, and if I do I can just use my CD version.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
those prices are at the point where it's good enough to rebuy.

They are for me. I still have the DX/DX:IW discs in good shape, but this is just so much easier. Besides, I really enjoy having my "mobile gaming platform" in Steam with a lot of these older games. No matter where I am, I can usually find one to DL/install/waste time with whether I'm on my laptop or some other older system.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
After I just paid $10 for DE1??? Thanks Steam. Thanks.

Sigh... Maybe I'll pick up IW. Never finished it the last time.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
After I just paid $10 for DE1??? Thanks Steam. Thanks.

Sigh... Maybe I'll pick up IW. Never finished it the last time.

A lot of people paid 20 bucks for KOTOR, right before it went down to 2.50.
Life goes on. If you see something dirt cheap you should pick it up just for the principle. You never know.
I got a buttload of casual games that way. Some of them are good, some are shit. But its less than the cost of an average meal at McDonalds.

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
Speaking of KOTOR, can anyone please explain to me why KOTOR and DE:IW will not allow for a resolution above 1280x1024, when Deus Ex 1 is more than happy to run at 1920x1080??? Is it a drivers thing or did they seriously program in a max rez cap???

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Speaking of KOTOR, can anyone please explain to me why KOTOR and DE:IW will not allow for a resolution above 1280x1024, when Deus Ex 1 is more than happy to run at 1920x1080??? Is it a drivers thing or did they seriously program in a max rez cap???
I ran both of those games higher than 1280X1024, and I don't think I had to do any .INI tweaking either. So not an engine limitation or locked resolution.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
I picked up the pack. Will play em sometime before the 3rd hopefully lol. Such a backlog

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

KOTOR runs at 1600x1200.
The problem is on your end. And if you got DE1 to run at 1920x1080 then you obviously ran some aftermarket patches on it. As for DE2 the answer is simple: It sucks.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
got de1 installed last night running all the graphics mods listed here and it looks FANTASTIC

thanks anandtech :D

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
I got stuck on my train home from the city today for 2+ hours, so I ended up playing Deus Ex on my laptop today. Very fun, hopefully I beat it this time!

BTW: Some quick googling came up with this

http://www.reddit.com/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

Apparently, there's a nice mod called Shifter that will fix some glitches and such that remained unaddressed.

If anyone has a link to the d3d10 version 19 renderer, please post it. The kentie site appears to be down.

Last edited:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
If anyone has a link to the d3d10 version 19 renderer, please post it. The kentie site appears to be down.
It just went down today, as it was up when I posted it a few hours ago. Ontop of that, John P's site that hosts the full Invisible War texture pack is down for exceeded bandwidth.

:Edit: http://tgq.nl/kentie.net/ <As I suspected it went down because of the Steam sale, but he appears to have the needed files available for download now.

Last edited:

OptimumSlinky

Nov 3, 2009
KOTOR runs at 1600x1200.
The problem is on your end. And if you got DE1 to run at 1920x1080 then you obviously ran some aftermarket patches on it. As for DE2 the answer is simple: It sucks.

Actually, I didn't touch a thing. No mods, no visual packs. I just downloaded from Steam, let it install, and then ran it and that resolution was an option right off the bat. I am totally perplexed as to why KOTOR and #2 are being difficult.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
must have only been a 2 day sale as prices already back to normal.