Steam Machines are being announced

erunion

Jan 20, 2013
Launching in fall of 2015.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/cyberpowerpc-syber-steam-machines/

syber-steam-machine.jpg

CyberPowerPC's original Steam Machine plans didn't amount to much (the company ultimately turned them into Windows boxes), but it's back again for another round. Its recently established Syber division has revealed that it will launch no less than six SteamOS computers this fall. The system builder isn't saying much about its new living room gaming rigs at the moment, but it'll give Game Developers Conference guests a sneak peek at three systems: the Mini, Mercury and Switch.

Whatever happens, this year's roster will be cheaper. The starting Steam Machine-E will cost $449 (down from last year's promised $499) with an entry-level AMD quad-core chip and unnamed NVIDIA graphics, while the $549 Steam Machine-P will kick that up to a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium and AMD Radeon R9 270X video. Performance-minded players will want to look at the Steam Machine-K, which touts a 3.5GHz Core i5 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 970 for $999, and there's even a special, eye-searing orange Steam Machine-X at $1,399. That's a lot to spend on hardware that will likely be a bit behind the curve by the fall, but it's good to see at least one notable PC maker that hasn't had second thoughts about backing Valve's TV gaming efforts.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
They were announced a year ago and some already started shipping when they gave up waiting for Valve to get their shit together.

What you SHOULD be asking is why they aren't launching today with Windows while they still wait for Valve to get their shit together.

That Zotac is also going to be very expense because of design choices pushing size over affordability. At least Cyberpower have some variety in their options.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
I just don't see these taking off...why use it? What does steambox offer over Windows, other than an alternative to the open source people?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Good question, though SteamOS (assuming that's the default OS for a Steambox) is definitely not an alternative to the "open source people".

I've used Steam on Lubuntu, and it's pretty cool and all, but you can still find titles that are Windows-only in the Steam library so . . . it has its limitations. Then there are the Linux ports that are not-so-well-done and suchlike (often just a Windows game in some kind of a wrapper). No surprise that all the Steamboxes have Nvidia GPUs.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I just don't see these taking off...why use it? What does steambox offer over Windows, other than an alternative to the open source people?
Because the hardware in the PS4/Xbone sucks? And the modified Windows 8 OS in the Xbone is awful? If the tweakability of PC games is there; where I can turn down LoD for MP and endlessly map keys or buttons instead of being stuck with a OSFA situation, I can see some appeal. I would never buy one however, always prefer building and don't mind a larger case that I can upgrade in the living room (where my NAS/HTPC already lays). Therein lies the problem, I guess upon reflection going through this post, that the target audience of these would already be PC gamers comfortable with the SteamOS but could build a better box that probably wouldn't crap out due to thermal issues (backstory: I no longer trust Zotac micro PC's, 35% failure rate of Zboxes at work and their support is difficult to deal with).

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Although if you can get it to boot into the underlying debian desktop by default - and while they'll at least hide that, I can't seem them making it impossible to get it back - they'll actually make entirely plausible desktop replacements too.

Not their main target audience of course, but being able to get a SFF linux desktop with much reduced graphics card/wifi etc driver hassle will make a few people happy.

I definitely wouldn't mind a laptop.

The set of games has been coming along fairly nicely in recent months, although still a strategyish bent overall. Which is slightly odd for a console replacement :)

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
There is a very long ahead of Steambox.

It need far more games, far better GPU drivers, openGL that is both conveniant to code in and more widespread, more standarization in Steamboxes themself if console consumer may know what to buy and what to expect out of it.

It is a question whenever Valve and other companies supporting Steambox and Linux as gamingOS idea are there for a long-run, eating losses for years if necessary.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
No surprise that all the Steamboxes have Nvidia GPUs.

Not all

the $549 Steam Machine-P will kick that up to a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium and AMD Radeon R9 270X video.

I really hope steam boxes take off, I would be interested in one as an HTPC/gaming machine, but as already noted, it's got a ways to go to be a competitive product. Maybe if Valve was willing to subsidize the hardware cost like MS/Sony did with previous consoles that could be a good way to get solid hardware besides just the steamOS box and then install Windows on another hard drive or something, probably won't happen though as obviously Valve isn't even making the boxes.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Looking at the Zotac with MXM graphics, I wonder if MXM could be a new option outside the mobile segment.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

It is supposed to be a low cost HTPC-like machine that can either play games directly or stream from an existing Windows machine.

Presumably omitting Windows on such low cost hardware reduces costs.

P.S. I've had good luck testing Valve games and some Indie titles on low end hardware using Lint Mint 17 and 17.1 Mate. Xeon X3323 (equivalent to a Q9300), 2GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia GT 630 smoothly plays all the Valve Linux titles at 1080p low. With this mentioned, there are demanding Linux games (in the steam library) from other developers that need more processing power, namely Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last light Redux.

Last edited:

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Steam boxes without Windows will fail horribly. As the option of adding Windows exists maybe the customer saves the cost of the license up front if one can be reused from another box etc.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It costs more than a game console.

Yeah these are a fail. Console buyers are used to a consistency of brand. These are all different rag tag thrown together machines and for something even passably decent you need to drop $1000 vs the $400 consoles go for.

It's just an HTPC running Steam OS... Also with a very limited game library. Just a mess.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
970M is quite nice, but hopefully it's easy to install windows 10 and have steam os in dual boot.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
These devices will give Windows RT a real run for its money in the FAIL stakes.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Its a console replacement, not a PC replacement.

Sure, but they don't have critical mass. Steam is known to PC gamers. How will a steambox work in the livingroom? Are they going to force controllers? What if people use controllers AND KB/M in FPS games? How do they handle hardware upgrades? Do they tell you to toss your steam box every year or two?

Because the hardware in the PS4/Xbone sucks? And the modified Windows 8 OS in the Xbone is awful? If the tweakability of PC games is there; where I can turn down LoD for MP and endlessly map keys or buttons instead of being stuck with a OSFA situation, I can see some appeal. I would never buy one however, always prefer building and don't mind a larger case that I can upgrade in the living room (where my NAS/HTPC already lays). Therein lies the problem, I guess upon reflection going through this post, that the target audience of these would already be PC gamers comfortable with the SteamOS but could build a better box that probably wouldn't crap out due to thermal issues (backstory: I no longer trust Zotac micro PC's, 35% failure rate of Zboxes at work and their support is difficult to deal with).

The hardware works, and has critical mass. It's supported by many and has a good set of development tools already. And you bring up one of the problems I see: existing console gamers will need to be convinced that a SB is better than their PS4/XB1 they already own, or that they should get an SB instead (and with no friends on a steambox - with all their friends on PSN or XBL, why move to a new platform?) PC gamers don't need another PC.

It is supposed to be a low cost HTPC-like machine that can either play games directly or stream from an existing Windows machine.

Paying $500 for streaming is a bad joke. Three words: Intel Compute Stick.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
As much as I want to see steam doing well and linux gaming taking off I don't see the "steam machine" taking off at all...

PC gamers will stick with what they have and windows for now.

Console gamers... well I dunno how they think, I just dont imagine they would opt for a steambox over a PS4 or xbone :\ Its like windows phone, why would you bother? It dosent do anything the current offerings don't do, its unfamiliar and more expensive, so why bother at all.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Microsoft is correcting their mistakes with Windows 8 by bringing back the spotlight to desktop in the FREE Windows 10 update. That is going to make SteamOS a tough sell.

If it is to be successful, then it downright needs to have better in-game performance than Directx. If it can be 10% faster in the same games than the Windows version, then it will win over some from the get go.