Steam Library Update MY EYES!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I had the same reaction last night only I uttered some swear words too......

SMU_Pony

Apr 27, 2017
The only real way to get it back is to copy over files from the previous version of steam, then add a .cfg file in the Steam directory that prevents updates. Literally undoing the update and freezing your steam client at the previous version forever.

Feb 4, 2009
The only real way to get it back is to copy over files from the previous version of steam, then add a .cfg file in the Steam directory that prevents updates. Literally undoing the update and freezing your steam client at the previous version forever.

I saw a video about this, sort of concerned about missing security updates forever and I bet at some point steam will lock the account because it’s never been updated.
What do you think?

SMU_Pony

Apr 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a temporary fix at best. I would say hopefully Valve will come to their senses... but... I mean, it's Valve.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, I'm sure I'll hate it :(
Most any time software has an option to display a layout like that I opt for the text version.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
How hard would it be for them to add back in small or minimalist icons or game lists? They basically are forcing you to use the large icons on the center/right of the app and the small list on the left. Its just a slight upgrade on the old grid view or whatever they called it. I only used that view if I wanted to see news/achivement stuff and other info. Otherwise I used the medium icons only list. I can't get rid of the "whats new" "shelf" either.

The worst part is that the icons load slow with visible stutter and delays between swapping from library/store/community screens. It definately needs more beta time.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
As soon as I saw it I imported everything into GoG Galaxy 2.0, I doubt I will return to the ghastly beast that Valve has forced on us. I had my library all sorted and setup exactly how I wanted it and now it's impossible to set up in a similar way. Guess I should add Steam to my Windows Store/EA blacklist.

Feb 4, 2009
How hard would it be for them to add back in small or minimalist icons or game lists? They basically are forcing you to use the large icons on the center/right of the app and the small list on the left. Its just a slight upgrade on the old grid view or whatever they called it. I only used that view if I wanted to see news/achivement stuff and other info. Otherwise I used the medium icons only list. I can't get rid of the "whats new" "shelf" either.

The worst part is that the icons load slow with visible stutter and delays between swapping from library/store/community screens. It definately needs more beta time.

Steam is very data driven, my guess is people who have this layout buy more “stuff”

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've been using it since it was in beta, and it doesn't really bother me. Although, I do see people seemingly gaming the news update aspect. In my opinion, any news that isn't PC-related shouldn't count, and I'm pretty sure I've seen news about console-related variants of a game putting that game in the forefront.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
As soon as I saw it I imported everything into GoG Galaxy 2.0, I doubt I will return to the ghastly beast that Valve has forced on us. I had my library all sorted and setup exactly how I wanted it and now it's impossible to set up in a similar way. Guess I should add Steam to my Windows Store/EA blacklist.
How do you like GoG Galaxy 2.0? I read an article on it, and it sounds like the answer for crap like this.

Feb 4, 2009
How do you like GoG Galaxy 2.0? I read an article on it, and it sounds like the answer for crap like this.

I just don’t like adding yet another program to access games however I am intrigued
I need to get over the GOG Russia thing

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just don’t like adding yet another program to access games however I am intrigued
I need to get over the GOG Russia thing
I know nothing about GOG. I only have the Witcher 3 on it, and never bought anything else on it. I recently joined Epic, because Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds are 2 free games I got for getting a 3900x.
It's just a matter of time before I forget what game goes where.

Feb 4, 2009
I know nothing about GOG. I only have the Witcher 3 on it, and never bought anything else on it. I recently joined Epic, because Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds are 2 free games I got for getting a 3900x.
It's just a matter of time before I forget what game goes where.

I’ve been concerned with loading the app because GOG has ties to Poland & Russia, which doesn’t install confidence regarding data handling.
I know I am being a little dramatic regarding this.
I’ve bought stuff from GOG, I just need to let go of the fear.
I like steam and arguably EA because they are reputable companies with a large US presence so they definitely have something to loose if crap goes wrong.

**Im talking about billing practices not game design practices**

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I’ve been concerned with loading the app because GOG has ties to Poland & Russia, which doesn’t install confidence regarding data handling.
I know I am being a little dramatic regarding this.
I’ve bought stuff from GOG, I just need to let go of the fear.
I hear ya! I need to get more info on GOG. I have similar issues with Xiaomi phones.

Feb 4, 2009
I hear ya! I need to get more info on GOG. I have similar issues with Xiaomi phones.

Agreed, add one plus to that phone list.
Main reason why I avoid android
Sadly I can no longer buy windows phones.
Apple certainly spy’s on me and collects data but just like steam they are US based and have some skin in the game.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've kinda gotten to the point where I don't care what it looks like so long as my games work... even put all the HL titles into one "collection."

...it's what Gordon Freeman would have wanted, you know, aside from HL3

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005

I like the fact I can see all my GoG, Steam, Epic, Ubisoft etc games in one interface, I can filter the list easily and have custom lists. It just feels neater and more user friendly to me having over 800 games in one easy to use program.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Why did they remove Small Mode exactly? I don't mind if they want to add new looks and features. But the removal of Small Mode is beyond me.

Reactions: Ranulf