Steam issue - SSD drive letter disappears

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
Hi, I have Steam games installed on 3 separate SSDs. D: (500GB), E: (500GB) and T: (1TB).
T: is the newest. Ever since I started using it as a Steam install disk I have had issues. When I installed and played AC Odyssey I sometimes got errors saying it couldn't read data from the disk. When I then proceeded to open up "This PC" in Explorer I could no longer see the disk T: there. I thought it was some problem with the game so I moved it over to E: and it ran without issues.

Now the same thing has started to happen with F1 2020. I suddenly get the same error mid-play, maybe after 10-20 minutes.

It seems that during playing these games (that are installed on T: ) somehow Steam disconnects the drive from the OS. Or is it a problem with the OS itself maybe? The reason I think it's a Steam issue is that this only happens when I play a game that's installed on T:. It never happens if I just browse the web or work in Word, Excel or any other software.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? Should I uninstall Steam and all games and try to reinstall everything again?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Hi, I have Steam games installed on 3 separate SSDs. D: (500GB), E: (500GB) and T: (1TB).
T: is the newest. Ever since I started using it as a Steam install disk I have had issues. When I installed and played AC Odyssey I sometimes got errors saying it couldn't read data from the disk. When I then proceeded to open up "This PC" in Explorer I could no longer see the disk T: there. I thought it was some problem with the game so I moved it over to E: and it ran without issues.

Now the same thing has started to happen with F1 2020. I suddenly get the same error mid-play, maybe after 10-20 minutes.

It seems that during playing these games (that are installed on T: ) somehow Steam disconnects the drive from the OS. Or is it a problem with the OS itself maybe? The reason I think it's a Steam issue is that this only happens when I play a game that's installed on T:. It never happens if I just browse the web or work in Word, Excel or any other software.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? Should I uninstall Steam and all games and try to reinstall everything again?

Steam doesnt disconnect your drives. It cant. And if it can, you got bigger problems to worry about :).
You are probably running the game from memory, the OS recognizes that the drive is not being used and puts it to sleep. Check you settings. That being said, it should work anyway.

ehm .. do you have to reboot to get the drive back? Disk manager?

Reactions: Whitestar127