Steam is being STUPID!!!

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
I am trying to run a game (TF2). Just got it yesterday (brand new from someone) and I was getting an error. Figured it was because I just installed. But No....Steam has to be gay (I would have not installed it but since I had too I did).

I keep getting a dialog box that says:

This game is currently unavailable.
Please try again at another time.

It is so gay. ONCE it loaded up but wouldn't respond (stayed at loading screen) so I just ended it.

I have tried to re-install The Orange Box, and delete the blob file twice while restarting Steam and nothing. Deleted STEAM and TOB (everything even from program files), re-installed, updated, and NOTHING! HL2.EXE isn't running and nothing is in my favorites.

WTF do I do?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Well, if Steam's happy and joyous, that's all that matters, right?

On a side note, do you have a firewall / IP blocking software?

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
I notice you didn't make mention of one of the basics of troubleshooting: did you reboot after the uninstall and the reinstall?

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
steam does suck, but I've got 64bit vista and it works for me so you've got something wrong with your hardware config...

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
Did you make sure TF2 was updated to the latest version? I've seen that error before when I tried to play a game that was in the middle of an update. It takes a few minutes for the updates to download.

What's your system specs?

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Originally posted by: GundamSonicZeroX
Originally posted by: Tristicus
But No....Steam has to be gay

It is so gay.

Gay is not a synonym for stupid.

No, it is not.

And also have you looked at Steam's support page on the topic:

https://support.steampowered.c...php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521

This error comes up when you cannot contact the authentication server. Chances are the server is up and you're not connecting to it, so it's likely that you have a connection issue. There are a host of reasons why this could happen, most likely a conflicting application. I have read that AIM 6.5 on Vista is conflicting with Steam, as well as the usual suspects (AV, firewalls, VPNs, etc)

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
I don't have AIM on Vista, only PIDGIN.

It says AVG might be conflicting with it, so I closed that. I deleted the local content and am letting Steam re-download it by itself, hoping that might fix the problem, but I hope it was AVG causing it.

I may also need to open the ports for Steam...?

Thanks for the help so far.