Steam in home streaming

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
How does this work? Have "high end" computer (NV 970) as client to connect to ROG (AMD 7870) laptop through cable network. Will this work to stream game from client to laptop? Just curious...

The Wife

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It looks like it only connects to other computers, so you could watch on your TV provided you have a little HTPC hooked into it.

This is different from the Steam Link device which gives you a HDMI output from a tiny set top box.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You shouldnt need internet if its in the same house, just a LAN. In fact I recommend a gigabit router.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
In home streaming allows you to run and render a game on your main/gaming PC and then streams the audio and video to another device and streams back the input/mouse/keyboard/controller.

If you want to stream to say a laptop that's fine, if you want to stream to a TV you can either get a HTPC and connect that with steam installed, or Valve sell a little box called Steam Link which does the job of decoding the video and sending it to a TV or any other display device, that's £40 http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/

You dont need to stream across the internet, you can just stream across your LAN or WLAN. It's a high bandwidth application so not very appropriate for internet streaming, although you could do it, it would be expensive data usage wise.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
YASIHS Thread...

It works. Try it out. It isn't perfect, but I've used it for long gaming sessions and it works well enough if you're willing to overlook some compression.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
How does this work? Have "high end" computer (NV 970) as client to connect to ROG (AMD 7870) laptop through cable network. Will this work to stream game from client to laptop? Just curious...

The Wife

yep. i do it with my laptop and it works pretty well (AMD A8, so not nearly as powerful as yours!). the nice part is you can even stream non-steam games!

it's probably not ideal for games where input timing is critical (for example, multiplayer FPS or fighting) but otherwise it works like a charm in my experience :)

CorsairDemon

Mar 5, 2016
I built a Precision T3500 for a media machine/Steam in-home streaming. I absolutely love how it works with a gigabit network.

GTA V looks and runs great, Racing games are quite good too. I played NFS Shift and Assetto Corsa and they do run well.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I moved my main PC rig into the front room corner, connected to our TV.
I use my Macbook as my main day-to-day PC.

With Steam in-house-streaming (wired), I'm using my Macbook to "game".
I've been primarily playing Dirt Rally and F1 2013, but also a little Fallout 4.
In the 50+ hours I've used the streaming service, I've had < 5 "hiccups".
The video quality vacillates between very good to good... the difference being that "very good" looks damn near native, where "good" looks like a moderately compressed JPG stream.

You can put basic stats up on the client (which I have up), and I seem to get 60fps consistently.

The one issue I do have is resolution - my host PC is hooked up via HDMI to a 1360x768 tv. My desktop monitor is 2560x1440, and I try to run at 1920x1080. Frequently, switching the game to 1080p will result in a weird resolution coming thru - it can take me 3-5 times changing the resolution back/forth before 1080p will "stick."

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for the replies. Something to consider when I feel "lazy" and would rather game from the laptop while in bed.