Steam has up to 70% of downloaded PC games

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
hmm I still buy from D2D, Amazon and GoG as well as steam but steam's ability to keep my games updated sure is nice.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005
They are by far the premeir service for purchasing digital copies of games. While I always shop around, I always check Steam first. Never had an issue with Steam or D2D, I just prefer Steam for some reason.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
They are by far the premeir service for purchasing digital copies of games. While I always shop around, I always check Steam first. Never had an issue with Steam or D2D, I just prefer Steam for some reason.

Exactly.

Other than their frequent deals, the primary reason I prefer Steam is I don't have to worry about installing or patching games after a OS install or reformat. I just keep the existing Steam folder in place and install the Steam client to that location. Within a couple minutes (whatever time it takes to download and update the client), all of my Steam games are updated and ready to play.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I just prefer Steam for some reason.

I like steam due to the social networking side - profiles and easy to use friends list.

Steam has up to 70% of downloaded PC games

As digital rights becomes more of an issue, I look for more game titles to be released on steam.

If you look at ID software, instead of developing their own software like steam, they just publish their games on Steam.

Gearbox software is developing a loyal following through borderlands and duke nukem forever. Instead of developing software like steam, their publishing their games on steam.

I just wish the full command and conquer series would be released on steam.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm surprised it's that low.

A lot of folks are still on dial up, out in the boonies. And some people always prefer having the box and disc no matter what. I used to, then I got to like Steam, then Steam fucked me and I was mad at them. Then they claimed improved quality and I gave them another chance when they had New Vegas on sale. Now I like them again.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If the game isnt on Steam I dont buy it. WoW is the only game I cant buy from Steam. If Blizzard released it on Steam then I would buy it there.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If the game isnt on Steam I dont buy it. WoW is the only game I cant buy from Steam. If Blizzard released it on Steam then I would buy it there.

Well, its an MMO. You can download the client for free. You dont need Steam. And you pay Blizzard for the monthly fee to play it, not Valve.
I dont know why they have any MMO's on Steam. It seems silly to me.

And its much more likely Blizzard will have their own online store than go through someone else for the rest of their games. In fact given all the bullshit with Starcraft 2 I'm surprised they didnt launch a store then.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I buy pretty much all my PC games from Steam. Only time I don't is if it is a Steamworks game you can register the cd key on Steam with and then I'll just buy at whoever is cheapest. MMO's I'll buy where ever it is cheapest too since you get the client directly from the company of the MMO.

The only other site I'll regularly buy games from is GOG cause they are awesome in so many ways. I have a few Impulse games but they are from Stardock themselve (SoaSE and GC2)

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I buy pretty much all my PC games from Steam. Only time I don't is if it is a Steamworks game you can register the cd key on Steam with and then I'll just buy at whoever is cheapest.

I did that with Left 4 Dead - waited until I saw the first price reduction sale, which just happened to be Best Buy. Bought the store copy, brought it home and registered the key on steam.

During christmas, wal-mart was selling black ops a few dollars less then Steam was. My son wanted Black Ops, so I got him the store copy, then registered the key on Steam.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well, its an MMO. You can download the client for free. You dont need Steam. And you pay Blizzard for the monthly fee to play it, not Valve.
I dont know why they have any MMO's on Steam. It seems silly to me.

And its much more likely Blizzard will have their own online store than go through someone else for the rest of their games. In fact given all the bullshit with Starcraft 2 I'm surprised they didnt launch a store then.

One reason. Advertising.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I just bought a game and it's add on from Steam because it was on sale. Don't even know if I'll ever have the time to play the damn game. That's how evil Steam is.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
hmm I still buy from D2D, Amazon and GoG as well as steam but steam's ability to keep my games updated sure is nice.

I also buy from D2D & GoG as well as steam but I find the automatic updates sometimes annoying, in some cases game breaking & it always forgets the "do not update" setting ;).

Steam is among my last places to buy software, I can normally get it elsewhere cheaper & with a nice box to go on a shelf. I do miss the olden days whewn manuals were like novels and not the leaflets you get now.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Steams ability to do away with the game resale market.... not so nice.

But for me it is more then made up for by the ability to easily reinstall and update games, and by waiting just a bit and buying on one of Steams amazing sales I get pleanty of games cheap enough that I don't care about reselling them.

I also buy from D2D & GoG as well as steam but I find the automatic updates sometimes annoying, in some cases game breaking & it always forgets the "do not update" setting ;).

Steam is among my last places to buy software, I can normally get it elsewhere cheaper & with a nice box to go on a shelf. I do miss the olden days whewn manuals were like novels and not the leaflets you get now.

I no longer want boxes of games on my shelf. In the end it just takes up room and when I really want the game I have to hunt it down and hope all the disks are there. I much prefer to have a list of games that I can re-download and play. There are a number of games that I bought that I wish I could find my original disks to so I could re-install them and replay them now. I would really like to have a working copy of Grim Fandango right now, but while I have the box, the disks are missing.

As for the manual, I completely agree. I miss quality manuals as well, and I think that is something Steam could really improve on. If Steam would create a section for game manuals, where I could just click and see the manual for a new game (as a PDF or even better HTML) It might just tip me over the buy point sooner. I think that it would also encourage companies to produce quality manuals for games again, as they would then become a form of marketing, and they could distribute them electronically instead of having to print an expensive book and increases the cost of the physical packaging. Many games already have a PDF of the manual on the disk, but you often have to hunt around the file system to find it.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Aw man, I thought the title said
icon1.gif
Steam has up to 70% off downloadable PC games

I was hoping for another sale :(

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I have bought from D2D, steam and some other one forgot, so far I like steam best.

Gheris

Oct 24, 2005

I have lost count of the number of times I have displaced a jewel case with the activation code. Or have had to keep track of the text file with all of the activation codes. Not too mention all of the clutter. Do I miss having that manual when I go to the bathroom? Yep, but the pros of Steam far outweigh the cons of dealing with boxes, activations codes, CDs, and storing them all.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
The only problem with steam is that I buy lots of games on a whim when they're on sale and then discover later that I'm never, ever going to play them.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The only problem with steam is that I buy lots of games on a whim when they're on sale and then discover later that I'm never, ever going to play them.

Haha I've done that a couple of times but usually only because I have such a huge backlog of games.