Steam has all the Heroes of Might & Magic games on sale

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
most are 75% off, including Dark Messiah.

Keep in mind, if you purchase the deluxe edition of M&M Heroes 7, you get the HD version of HOMM 3 along with it.

For those who still havent played these you should check them out. Really solid turn based strategy and a neat little game universe to explore.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Heroes 3 HD makes me so sad, it's missing so much content.

Buy Heroes 3 Complete on GoG instead, you don't need any other entry in this series... none of them have been as good since.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014

Buy Heroes 3 Complete on GoG instead, you don't need any other entry in this series... none of them have been as good since.
That is not true. 5 and 6 are lots of fun. 4 indeed sucked, and 2 is too old (and 1 is a relic).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

For me, 6 is the best. Remove the UPlay issue, basing off standard gameplay on the metamap, in cities and in the combat arena I believe that it is superior to 3.

Yes, I stand out as the unusual one that likes 6 and thinks that 3 isn't the best one going.... but people tend to have those rose tinted glasses permanently attached to their nostalgic peepers.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
For me, 6 is the best. Remove the UPlay issue, basing off standard gameplay on the metamap, in cities and in the combat arena I believe that it is superior to 3.

Yes, I stand out as the unusual one that likes 6 and thinks that 3 isn't the best one going.... but people tend to have those rose tinted glasses permanently attached to their nostalgic peepers.
You could be right. I keep saying I like 3 more than 6 (6 being my second favorite), but the fact is I haven't played 3 in like 10 years.
Another possibility is that people who like 3 better do so because they mostly play random maps, or scenarios, but not necessarily the campaigns, as I think the new games are better when playing their campaigns and not necessarily the scenarios.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Everything after 3 sucked ass.

Didn't get far into 4,5,6 because it was 'on rails' HoMM where you couldn't wander far but had little islands of stuff to visit before you proceeded.

I still fire up 3 (original game discs) and the expansions yearly, and it is still a lot of fun. I can't understand why someone other than the IP owner hasn't made their own game with the same mechanics, because 3's old gameplay is still better than ANY similar game out there.

edit

No 'rose colored glasses' either. Just played multi after all those years and still learned new things when the player I was playing against was trying to gank my mines, and had heroes with 1 troop in every slot (like pikeman, pikeman, pikeman, etc)... easy to retreat and keep your hero because nobody can wipe out every spot of 1 troop in one round.

Last edited:

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Everything after 3 sucked ass.

Didn't get far into 4,5,6 because it was 'on rails' HoMM where you couldn't wander far but had little islands of stuff to visit before you proceeded.
That's my point, people who don't like games after 3 almost always mention the newer games are 'on rails', while for other people who might prefer the newer ones, probably that's actually the reason (they like a more story focused approach).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It is fun to see the evolution of the game, going back from 3 to the excellent 2 but you can see how it was improved in 3, to the really basic not nearly as good 1 before that.

And of course 1 was a big improvement over the base game it was inspired by, "King's Bounty".

Even HoMM 1 won category 'game of the year' awards. IMO it was one of those breakout games, like Dune II/Command and Conquer, or Doom/Wolfenstein.

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
Has anyone been able to play HoMM 6 multi-player without problems?

Purchased this with a few friends and we were never able to complete any map without some sort of "out of sync" issue and Ubisoft walked away from ever fixing this problem.
Maybe someone else managed to figure out how to avoid this? (Hot Seat not an issue)

We tried multi-player in the latest Beta for HoMM7 and the game wouldn't even start in Multiplayer......... hard to believe that this is being released in the next few days!

calahan

Sep 4, 2015
I am love HoMM 3 Shadows of the Death best balanced plus amazing generator of random maps. HoMM4 is sucks but music is awesome.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Heroes 7 is now available. Its getting mediocre reviews. I wish Steam had demos, I feel guilty for asking them to keep giving me refunds.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Heroes 7 is now available. Its getting mediocre reviews. I wish Steam had demos, I feel guilty for asking them to keep giving me refunds.
I've been playing Heroes 7 since it came out like almost non-stop (except for sleep and meal breaks). Loving the game so far.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Having memory leaks, crashing, FPS problems and extreme slow loading problems with HoMM 7.

Saying that, the core gameplay seems to be alright. Special skills from units don't seem to be as fun or as interesting as I recall from 6 and certain units (I'm looking at you Undead Spiders) seem to be woeful.

Despite some issues I'm enjoying myself thanks to the 40% off at GMG coupon.

samboy

Aug 17, 2002
I'm not giving UbiSoft any support for HoMM 7 as things currently stand.

The reviews imply that none of the Beta Multi-Player issues were addressed in the final release (and these are show stopper issues as in the game disconnects after several turns; assuming that you can get started in the first place).

HoMM 6 had the same issues which UbiSoft walked away from and never addressed.

My interpretation is that their project ran over cost and they have decided to dump in on the market to get back what they can........ UbiSoft has a bad track record in correcting issues after release in my experience.

A pity since this is a great series........ (and I was really looking forward to HoMM 7)
If the issues get fixed, then I will buy; but low expectations that this will happen.

I'll take a working multi-player for HoMM 6 in the meantime - if anyone knows any workarounds!

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I found 5 horribly boring; and never tried 6 or 7.
I loved 5 and 6. 4 was the worst game I've ever played and will ever play and my descendants shall ever play for at least 16 generations.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Homm3 was still either 9.99 or 14.99. The game was released in 1999 and then re-released in a "hd" version this year. Still not worth the $10.00 imho for a 15 year old game. I was hoping to find it for $1.99 or $2.99...

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Homm3 was still either 9.99 or 14.99. The game was released in 1999 and then re-released in a "hd" version this year. Still not worth the $10.00 imho for a 15 year old game. I was hoping to find it for $1.99 or $2.99...

For 3, avoid HD.

Go GoG and get Complete. You **want** the expansions. They turned 3 from a very solid game into the "game to which all in this genre should aspire to beat".