Steam Family Sharing

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I just recently set this up so my son and daughter could play a few games in my personal library on their own PCs (in their rooms) but it seems to have some serious shortcomings.

A) When in "sharing mode" on my PC, then what I can do in Steam is very limited. I can't browse anything in the store. I'm cut off from friend communication etc etc.

B) I have to actually be logged into Steam on my PC? I'm often not home (at work!) and therefore not logged into my PC/Steam account. But if my kids wan to play a game in my library on their PCs. they then can't? They need to log me into my PC/Steam then go up to their computers to play?

It seems like such a great idea, but falls just short :(

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Unless things have changed, that wasn't my experience. I shared my library with my wife and she could play regardless of me being logged in.

We haven't used it for a while, though.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Also family member can't play a game if the account owner is also playing a game. Obviously to prevent two people playing the same game at a time but still feels like a silly limitation to me.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Also family member can't play a game if the account owner is also playing a game. Obviously to prevent two people playing the same game at a time but still feels like a silly limitation to me.

Yeah, I'm aware of that (stupid) limitation. I get not allowing them to play the SAME game, but there's no reason why my kid can't play X while I'm playing Z game.

I will have to test the "needing to be logged in for them to see my library" issue. Maybe I was just wrong.

I still don't understand why I get nixed from things like the store (hey, I'm TRYING to buy more games here!) Or converse with friends while they play.

Heck I can't even communicate with them in the Steam chat app while sharing as I can't pull up the app!