Steam doubts about data privacy

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

Today I just received a copy of Call of Duty: MW3.

I was willing to play this, I found the game at a great price, I bought it. Just like that! :)

Now when starting the DVD installation, the first thing it comes up with is the steam installation.

Now for installing, I'm presented with a huge license agreement that makes me think about the security of this software.

I work with computers everyday, I'm a developer for many years now, and most probably this isn't helping my "decision" of accepting and proceed to the installation.

Maybe I'm getting paranoid about this, but I feel that in this digital era we now leave, and the further we go into, our personal information and anonymity is the easiest thing to loose, and the hardest to recover (if that's even possible).

So down to my main concerns about steam, what am I expected to share to valve? What are my major concerns?

1. Will my digital data (documents, any other non-game, non-steam files) be sent to valve?

2. Will any info regarding my other software, info, keys, etc be sent to valve?

I mean, I payed money for some software packages on my PC just to see them being sent somewhere else.

I can't even calculate the "price" of having any personal document sent to outside of my computer.

At the moment, I have a firewall that helps me to block any upload from any software on my machine, and everything is controlled, somewhat. But if I allow a software like steam to connect, I don't have a clue what it's transmitting.

I tried reading the license, and I have no problem in uploading my steam user, email, account info to valve, nor any statistics about anything managed by steam itself, but outside steam "shell", I don't feel secure on letting steam wandering around, gathering whatever info it feels appropriate to transmit.

I know that questions like this ones, about steam license and info gathering are old, and there is many info around the web with personal opinions about the subject. Still I believe in this forums community, and I would like to read your opinions/knowledge on the subject.

Steam is big, and it gets bigger everyday. My personal documents are small, the software packages I own are not many, but they are all important to me, and more important than playing games.

(I can't avoid thinking if anyone that plays these pirated games have similar problems ... old story of the legit buyers being harmed)

Thanks

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
In the time it took you to write all that you could have read the license agreement...duh.

Also, those ideas about Steam owning and transmitting your personal files and info are pretty retarded. You can cover your computer with tinfoil to prevent this.

Last edited:

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Honestly I'd guess the number of folks that actually read any ToS is very low (I'm no different I did not read the Steam ToS). If we did we'd probably see more outrage at some of the stupid things publishers include in the ToS. I value the use of software applications and websites more than my digital privacy.

What do you value more? Playing the game or ensuring that your digital privacy remains secure and what is the probability of the identified events actually occuring? Seriously do you think steam wants to steal your personal information/documents/software when they have people giving them credit card numbers? During the Steam sales I gladly shower them with my Visa and Amex information so I think your personal files should be good..

Did you review the ToS for the other applications that you installed? If you are concerned about Steam why not start with other apps first? What about Anandtech's ToS? Did you read it?

As a developer you already know the only true secure computer is one that is in your closet, locked, with NO internet access.

Regarding your questions:

1. Will my digital data (documents, any other non-game, non-steam files) be sent to valve?
Doubtful. Have I ever verified this through packet inspection? No. Would this be a huge lawsuit waiting to happen for Valve? Yes, even if their ToS stated they could do this...(that might actually work in our favor to get some of the idiot judges to realize that ToS is not law..).

2. Will any info regarding my other software, info, keys, etc be sent to valve?

I mean, I payed money for some software packages on my PC just to see them being sent somewhere else.
See my comment about using your closet to store your computer.

At the moment, I have a firewall that helps me to block any upload from any software on my machine, and everything is controlled, somewhat. But if I allow a software like steam to connect, I don't have a clue what it's transmitting.

Do you know what windows is transmitting? Every other software application that you've installed, do you know what they are transmitting? Have you verified it through packet inspection? Have you reverse engineered every software application that you have installed on your machine and can say you know what it's doing?

I hope I haven't come across as a jerk, you just have to choose what you value more and realize that you've probably already given up much of your digital privacy through previous software and web utilization, just like the rest of us...

If you are still freaked out about it just build one machine for personal use + development and one for gaming and encrypt away, although I go back to my point unless you know what every application is doing including windows you really don't know....

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Well, we cannot compare a ToS of a software with a ToS of a website, so any website is "shielded" behind the browser operation and capabilities.

Yes, I don't know what Microsoft and many other software apps are really doing, and the many open source apps that I use will be checked by the community, and some I did the check too.

I've read the ToS of Steam, although not exhaustively, and at the end I want to believe that many "chocking" parts are there because some lawyer advised them to include it.

What really bothers me is if Valve will use Steam to collect some info to "sell" or share with other parties. And so if any company wants to get info, and say it is a software company, wouldn't it be easier to buy info from a third party, or change their software and ToS to do the job, and risk it's name on a court?

More interestingly, if Steam get's bought or get's merged by a big fish, they can do whatever they want with the Steam engine, with data gathered, etc.

And why would Valve do it and no other piece of software in my computer? Well, any other piece of software in my computer could do it, but if a party is interested in buying information, it will try to use the most global application they can buy info from. Microsoft, Google, Valve, ... bla bla bla maybe I'm seeing Valve as the weakest (less expensive) player to do the job.

This is my paranoid personality writing about this subject, and this is just that, me writing stuff, and gathering info about your opinions, through the use of Anandtech forums :D

(PS: Oh, and by the way, I'm really thinking of installing a new disk on my PC for dual booting into a Windows XP Pro for gaming only, in part by the fact that my logitech force feedback wheel not having drivers for Windows 7 :(, and me not wanting to fork €€€ on a new wheel)

Last edited:

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
(PS: Oh, and by the way, I'm really thinking of installing a new disk on my PC for dual booting into a Windows XP Pro for gaming only, in part by the fact that my logitech force feedback wheel not having drivers for Windows 7 :(, and me not wanting to fork €€€ on a new wheel)

If you are serious about ensuring that apps can't see your data then make sure to encrypt the other disk..otherwise your paranoia is for naught...this solution should address your paranoia.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
There are hundreds if not thousands of tinfoil-wearing folk using packet sniffers and honeypots to see what Steam sends, and they've yet to find a smoking gun. Outside of the ones in-game of course.

You're also assuming that everyone in Steam's secret data collection lair is keeping quiet about it. By now at least one disgruntled ex-employee would have spilled the beans.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Steam has two surveys they use for data collection. One is hardware, the other is software, and they basically tell Steam what you have in those categories. They're both opt-in, so you have to agree to send Steam this information.