Steam crashing computer.

dds14u

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Steam had an update today, seemed like any other update.

Except when I started Steam back up, I got the blue screen (first time I've ever gotten it in Vista). I restart my computer, start Steam again, get BSOD. WTF is up with Steam?!

Vista says it's my anti-virus, but this has only happens when I run Steam...Vista's got some reporting issues.

mind frell

Nov 4, 2007
I don't know if this will help you or not but I know for a fact that steam and some AV packages have serious issues. Sometimes steam and avg on my machine clash, and steam snags 99% cpu. It was documented in a forum post somewhere sometime (haha, sorry so vague but on steampowered.com) but I don't think it's worth turning avg off. A reboot of steam usually fixes my issue. Sorry I cannot be of more help to you though.

frell

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Im using AVG, Vista 32bit, and stea, with no problems. After the update, steam wanted to restart, I let it, and its been fine. On booting up its been fine too.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
XP, Anti-Vir no problems other than Xfire freaking out over a largely textured map.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: dds14u
Steam had an update today, seemed like any other update.

Except when I started Steam back up, I got the blue screen (first time I've ever gotten it in Vista). I restart my computer, start Steam again, get BSOD. WTF is up with Steam?!

Vista says it's my anti-virus, but this has only happens when I run Steam...Vista's got some reporting issues.

Not necessarily. Did you debug the dumpfile? Read my .sig, read the debugging guide, download and install the debugger, debug your dump, and find out what the real problem is.