Steam Cleaning carpets with a Bissell and home made cleaner mix----WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Ok, so my dog is having the urge to mark her territory sinc my son has started crawling. She has wet the floor several times we have used our bissell upright steam cleaner to clean our carpets, but even though we followed the directions on the bottle to clean the carpets, they never really came clean, and they always felt like soap was left behind. Sooooooo.................

Yesterday I got really industrious because the wife was at work, and my parents had my son in AL visiting the great grandparents. (No Alabama jokes). I pulled out the steam cleaner, moved ALL the furniture out of the den, attacked all the pet stains, food stains, heavy traffic areas with oxy clean. The stains began disappearing fairly quickly, but now I had wet carpets. Ok, so then I took the steamcleaner, filled it with HOT water and went to work. Still some stains left. Hmmmmmmmm what to do?

I then put 1 shot glass of the clorox ultra bleach in the tank with 1 scoop of oxyclean, no soap in the mix bottle. Filled the tank with HOT water, and ran the cleaner over the carpet. OH MAN!!!! the carpets began looking NEW agaiN, and no soapy feel to them. I went to town on those carpets. cleaned the whole den, dining room and hallway. this stuff really cleand the heck out of the carpet. Now i don't feel so bad about letting my son crawl around on the floor. Plus, no doggie odor. :D Tonight, I get to move all the furniture back to the den and dining room.

Remember this, a clean house is a happy house.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
damn, good idea.

I have the Bissell cleaner, I'll have to give your homemade mix a try. I have just been using the standard bissell stuff and it doesn't really seem to make any difference at all, except leaving wet floors like you say.

Thanks!

Dan

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
We would love to have dark carpets, but there is not enough money in the bank to put them in right now.

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
I found this out the hardway, Pour in the oxy clean first, then the bleach, give time to react, then add water. otherwise if you fill it all the up with water first, then add chemicals, it bubbles over. Plus, go very light on the bleach, I mean a shot glass is the most i used. I am not recommending this to everyone, try at your own risk

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
you should be careful mixing bleach with other household cleaners. i dont know whats in oxyclean, but if you mix bleach and ammonia you get death.

agnitrate

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Howard
You mixed bleach and Oxyclean?

yeah it says on the oxyclean bottle not to

Because that's probably their next marketing campaign and they don't want anyone to steal their idea ;)

-silver

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: agnitrate

Because that's probably their next marketing campaign and they don't want anyone to steal their idea ;)

-silver
not if i patent that combination :D

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
Ok, what about Oxygenated clorox cleaner? Seems to me that all that is, is oxyclean and bleach.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have used oxyclean on my carpets before using my steam cleaner, but it didn't do much better than the normal carpet cleaning stuff. So it looks like the bleach is the answer. My carpets are tan, so I don't think bleach would work well. That said, I used bleach on my overhangs and eaves a couple of weeks ago. Bye, Bye mold and mildew.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Ulfwald
Ok, what about Oxygenated clorox cleaner? Seems to me that all that is, is oxyclean and bleach.
They probably say not to mix it so that some moron doesn't pour a bottle of oxyclean into a gallon of bleach, cap and shake it, then end up blind when the bottle explodes and sprays bleach in his eyes.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
make sure the water was boiling hot for oxygen bleaches to work, however, the solution will cause gas to be "generated" so be careful. the oxygen bleach is what you find in "bleach alternative" detergent, and "color safe" bleaches. do not mix chlorine bleach with oxygen bleach unless you're in a well ventilated area. i would certainly NOT allow any kids crawling on the carpet if i used chlorine bleach. i expect chlorine bleaches to be outlawed for domestic use within the century.

bleach is just a generic term to "make white" or what not. chlorine bleach is the smelly crap and somewhat toxic that most ppl are familiar with (ie, dont get any on those new jeans). oxygen bleach has been around for a while, and is MUCH more common today thanks to infomercials for oxyclean. the clorox oxygenated bleach is oxygen bleach, there is no chlorine in it.

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
Try using Simple green mixed with oxyclean. I used that one time to take GA red clay stains out of a tan shirt, worked great, color left intact.

ellvee

Apr 26, 2015
Sorry I disagree that dogs should live outside. Anyway I was told by a carpet salesman that carpets made of polypropeline (sp?) can be cleaned with straight bleach. I was skeptical but never forgot he said that. Once I was desperate and had a carpet in the back bedroom that my dog had been using as a potty while we were at work all day as she was on prednisone pills for allergies and she couldn't hold it all day. I cleaned the carpet once with regular cleaner and it still smelled. So the next day I put a cup or so of regular bleach and shampoo in my cleaner and the smell was gone for good. The carpet looked brand new with no fading or bleaching out.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
What's with this "new" members always necroing a thread as their first post. This forum surely has gone south, not screening such kind of people --> no post for the first month/verify email.
This one is 11 years 8 months. :rolleyes: In B4 the ban/lock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.