Steam Box

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I WONT OWN ANY MICSOROFT PRODUCTS AND USE ANY OF THEIR STUFF...

except xbox 360 and windows, which i use on a daily basis.

Feb 25, 2011
I like the idea of a Steam Box (a Valve-branded HTPC/console, wireless KB/Mouse/Controller, booting straight into Steam with some added Smart-TV-like functions, and playing off-the-shelf PC games) a lot more than I like what it's apparently going to actually be.

MS sells "Embedded" versions of their OS for ATMs, etc., which would probably be more useful than Linux-sans-DirectX.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
My personal issue with the idea of a steam console is what does it do to justify the cost of it? What does it do that I can't do already, is a better way of putting it. Putting the PC in my living room isn't anything revolutionary, I used to have HTPCs for years before my Xbox got to the point where it did everything those did. Of course I'm also the guy that doesn't believe that Steam is superior to Xbox Live (which was a debate with the OP in another thread..I'd say go look but he's pulled those out too. Moral of the story never ever speak ill of Steam).

oivoodsio

Jan 22, 2013
It's like I said, the steam console, will not be a true gaming console. It will be an htpc w/ a linux variant and only running steams big picture. To enjoy any real PC titles no matter what Steam says you will need controller support, and or a mouse/keyboard. Steam will not be getting developers making steam only ports, it will just be steam same as always but on a tiny footprint using a controller, and asking yourself why did I spend $700~ on this system that will barely edge one of the new consoles, assuming it even has the graphical power of the old ones.