Discussion Steam Autumn Sale 2022

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Guess the allure of Steam sales is completely gone now, eh?

Figured I'd make a thread as the sale winds down this Tuesday.

Picked up some couch co-op bundles so the kids and I can game over the holidays. Will save my single player purchases for the winter sale as I recharge my gaming list for next year.

What I got so far, $15 total:

Gauntlet Slayer Edition
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Moon Hunters

Daughter has been bugging me for Cuphead and I know TMNT & Streets of Rage will absolutely be everyone's jam but I'm pretty stubborn about waiting for stuff to drop into the $10 territory.

It is time with the kids tho, can't really put a price on that. We'll see if I got another few purchases in my future.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've picked up a few games during the Steam sale, and in some cases, I'll buy the games from Humble or Fanatical if either are cheaper. Honestly, a lot of it has been searching for a good co-op game as it's really hard to find one that's engaging enough. Not to go too far off-topic in that regard, but frankly, games like It Takes Two are almost a bit of a gold standard there.

Two of the games that I've picked up recently are Temtem and Dinkum. (I've had them, but was able to pick up another copy during the sale.) Technically, neither one has to be played in co-op, but both of them allow it. Temtem supports playing nearly all of its story in co-op mode. (You just have to get to the point where you can see other players to invite someone into co-op.) Dinkum requires you to have created a character to then play in multi-player.

Another game that I picked up recently is called Ship of Fools. This is a game that I found during the Steam Next Fest, and was able to play and enjoy the demo. (The demo allows you to play the entire first area, and it only ends if you beat the boss.) This has the nice advantage of being a couch co-op game, so I don't have to break out the Steam Deck just to play. This is a Rogue-lite game where you are tasked with defending your ship from sea creatures. (Your ship has health, you do not.) You do this through using cannons that are loaded with specific ammo (you can gain different ammo types throughout your run) or using melee attacks if enemies are onboard or are close enough. Every time you beat an area, you unlock a new cannon type. Each area is laid out as a map with hexagonal locations. As you progress, you select a right-bound, adjacent spot. One complaint that I have about the game is that there is no legend to tell you what the icons mean on these spots. For example, one of them is an arrow that splits to pointing left and right, so I figured it would randomly send the ship to the left or right. Nope... it is a "choose one of these items" bonus areas.

I'm also looking at two other games now:

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr - This looks like a Diablo-style game set in the Warhammer universe. I'm not a 40k aficionado or anything, but I like Diablo-style games and this one is supposedly a decent co-op experience.

Remnant: From the Ashes - This looks like a third-person action game that is compared to Dark Souls. I don't know if this will be very fun for a co-op experience as it might be a bit more difficult than desired; however, I don't mind difficult so long as it isn't excessively punishing.

There are also some single player games that I'm still considering. I'd like to pick up Triangle Strategy as I've heard some good things about it. (I do recall playing Final Fantasy Tactics quite a bit as a kid.) There are also a few other games on my wishlist that I've been debating.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Guess the allure of Steam sales is completely gone now, eh?

Figured I'd make a thread as the sale winds down this Tuesday.

Picked up some couch co-op bundles so the kids and I can game over the holidays. Will save my single player purchases for the winter sale as I recharge my gaming list for next year.

What I got so far, $15 total:

Gauntlet Slayer Edition
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Moon Hunters

Daughter has been bugging me for Cuphead and I know TMNT & Streets of Rage will absolutely be everyone's jam but I'm pretty stubborn about waiting for stuff to drop into the $10 territory.

It is time with the kids tho, can't really put a price on that. We'll see if I got another few purchases in my future.

The average Steam user has over 100 plus games from previous Steam sales. How many games can one buy? And, the reality is most gamers won't have the time to play most of those games. I'll also add that the Steam Winter sale is just around the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
I've picked up a few games during the Steam sale, and in some cases, I'll buy the games from Humble or Fanatical if either are cheaper. Honestly, a lot of it has been searching for a good co-op game as it's really hard to find one that's engaging enough. Not to go too far off-topic in that regard, but frankly, games like It Takes Two are almost a bit of a gold standard there.

My friends and I play Valheim and Raft if you like co-op base building / survival games.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My friends and I play Valheim and Raft if you like co-op base building / survival games.

I'm a little hesitant on survival games. I don't mind having some systems to complicate the gameplay, but I find that they sometimes get in the way of what I really enjoy about the game. I have picked up some games that I think you could call "simpler" survival games. For example, we've been playing Dinkum lately, which while it's definitely trying to evoke Animal Crossing (straight down to copying the worst aspects of it), I'd argue is a bit more survival focused than Animal Crossing.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Yeah, in my experience survival games tend to go "work simulator" really fast.

I'd love a survival game that was a bit Skyrim (RPG elements, nice open world) and a bit base builder.

Bethesda has a money printer *right there* if they managed to merge the basic core gameplay loop of Skyrim with an expanded base/settler system from FO4 and sprinkled some city management/empire management stuff in.

Id love a game where I basically have to build Whiterun from scratch, then populate it with artisans and workers etc.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The sale is over, but I wasn't here so I figure I'll post what I picked up.

• Terminator Resistance DLC
  • Zachtronics Solitaire
  • RDR2 was only $20 so I grabbed that
  • Haven Park because I loved A Short Hike
  • Ship of Fools and Pico Park for co-op shenanigans
  • SNKRX and eversion because they look weird enough to be rad

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I picked a few cheap titles before the end of the Steam sale with only 10m to spare.

*Bulletstorm
*Batman Arkham Prison Asylum
*Batman Arkham City
*Psychonauts
*Psychonauts 2

I've played all of these titles before in the past, besides Psychonauts 2. Bulletstorm sold for $3.99 But after the Autumn Sale, it went to $39 That game is not worth $39. Not even close.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I picked a few cheap titles before the end of the Steam sale with only 10m to spare.

*Bulletstorm
*Batman Arkham Prison Asylum
*Batman Arkham City
*Psychonauts
*Psychonauts 2

I've played all of these titles before in the past, besides Psychonauts 2. Bulletstorm sold for $3.99 But after the Autumn Sale, it went to $39 That game is not worth $39. Not even close.

- Get your affairs in order before playing bulletstorm. A game so stupid (and fun) that you'll be legally considered brain-dead after playing.

Solid set of games there, all of them are practically guaranteed bangers.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
- Get your affairs in order before playing bulletstorm. A game so stupid (and fun) that you'll be legally considered brain-dead after playing.

Solid set of games there, all of them are practically guaranteed bangers.

Yea. Can't wait to play Psychonauts2. Bulltstorm is a guilty pleasure.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I honestly didn't know there was a sale. I'm sure I got on Steam during the time, but I didn't notice the sale (though I did get some e-mails about games in my wishlist being on sale - I just never looked at them). I just went through my wishlist and removed about 50 games that I no longer want since I stuck them on there when they were in greenlight/EA and looking at them now, I'm glad I never bought them. Though I am torn on some of the games in my list like RDR2 because I own it on the PS4 and it's a fun game, but I've already played it on the PS4 and the only reason I'd get it for PC is for mods.

• Haha

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Now we wait for the Winter sale.

- Yep, thats usually the biggie for me. Load up on half a dozen "new-old" games to play in the upcoming year.

I honestly didn't know there was a sale. I'm sure I got on Steam during the time, but I didn't notice the sale (though I did get some e-mails about games in my wishlist being on sale - I just never looked at them). I just went through my wishlist and removed about 50 games that I no longer want since I stuck them on there when they were in greenlight/EA and looking at them now, I'm glad I never bought them. Though I am torn on some of the games in my list like RDR2 because I own it on the PS4 and it's a fun game, but I've already played it on the PS4 and the only reason I'd get it for PC is for mods.

- I knew these "sale" topics were useful to someone!

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yep, thats usually the biggie for me. Load up on half a dozen "new-old" games to play in the upcoming year.

The awkward part is when you check sites like IsThereAnyDeal and find out that the best price was actually during a non-Christmas sale. That's the weird thing... you can't always guarantee that the sale price you see once will be the same one that you see again. Although, since I've been a member of the Humble Monthly/Choice for quite a while, I also get 20% off there. It's not uncommon for me to get more off at Humble Bundle than I do on Steam, but I also lose the ability to be able to return the game.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I picked up RDR2, heard good things about it and it seems to take advantage of the latest video cards at high resolutions. I also got Outer Worlds, Return to Monkey Island and Beyond a Steel Sky on GOG. These days I only buy games from these sales that I'm actually interested in playing.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The awkward part is when you check sites like IsThereAnyDeal and find out that the best price was actually during a non-Christmas sale. That's the weird thing... you can't always guarantee that the sale price you see once will be the same one that you see again. Although, since I've been a member of the Humble Monthly/Choice for quite a while, I also get 20% off there. It's not uncommon for me to get more off at Humble Bundle than I do on Steam, but I also lose the ability to be able to return the game.

-Eh when I'm buying games they're all under $10, so really I'm looking at a better price of $1-5, not too broken up about missing that sale.