Steam and COD4 CD kEY

Stiffe

Jul 26, 2006
Was wondering if anyone knows if this works?

I want to get COD4 and I see that I can get a CD Key off Ebay for like 20bucks. Unregistered.

Can i then register the CD key with steam and then download the game?

The cd key does not come with dvd/cds just cd-key only.

Thanks for the help

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Steam has specific keys that generally aren't interchangeable with retail bought ones. It depends on the game whether or not it would work, but there aren't many that do.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
why bother with steam? also i believe their is a method to add games to steam even if they aren't steam version. I could add my UT2k4 to my steam account i believe, but why would I?

murderburger

May 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Maleficus
why bother with steam? also i believe their is a method to add games to steam even if they aren't steam version. I could add my UT2k4 to my steam account i believe, but why would I?

That's a valid question. If COD4 doesn't require registering the key with steam, I wouldn't do it. I bought Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 from Target and it required that I register it with Steam. It wouldn't install unless I used the Steam software. I can't play the game more than 30 minutes without getting motion sickness. Now I regret not creating another steam account so I can give the game away to a relative. The game is now tied to my main steam account and hasn't been played in about 6 months.

wbynum

Jul 14, 2005
Steam sucks. It's total BS that they don't allow you to give/sell your Steam games to other people. People should take more a stand when companies change their policies to screw over the customer.

Anyways, off my soap box. Here's a link to a Steam help page that shows which games you can register and download through Steam if you have an unused retail key:

https://support.steampowered.c...php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: murderburger
Originally posted by: Maleficus

That's a valid question. If COD4 doesn't require registering the key with steam, I wouldn't do it. I bought Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 from Target and it required that I register it with Steam. It wouldn't install unless I used the Steam software. I can't play the game more than 30 minutes without getting motion sickness. Now I regret not creating another steam account so I can give the game away to a relative. The game is now tied to my main steam account and hasn't been played in about 6 months.

I wish I could reg my CoD4 with Steam, let it take care of patching and additional content. I don't really sell my old games at all, so that never really bothered me (I still play most of them occasionally).