Status Symbols

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wonder what percentage of all the credit card debt is a result of the need for ego satisfaction?

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
For women, one MAJOR status symbol is the size/quality/cost of the diamond in their engagement rings.

OMG that is so true (within my circle of friends, relatives and coworkers, anyway). Good one.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Personally, I judge people by the computer games they play and how many.

So.......what type of videogames does a gamer have that will get him RESPEKT! [ali G]

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
Originally posted by: novasatori
But like I said, at the end of the day I could give two sh!ts about what car you drive, or even your size/make/type of TV.

Not exactly indicative of the general populace.

Not even on ATOT, with so many car threads here....I like the following examples; people do have opinions on them and do give a sh!t....just with them posting even though majority deny it.

Importance of car to a girl

This is my car, what do you think it says about me?

Cars and implication on hot dates and getting laid

I don't doubt it one bit.
But that doesn't change the fact that I would rather be flying or sailing any day of the week than driving, even if it was a Ferrari.

If airplanes weren't so expensive maybe people would share the same ideals.

I've had enough cars. :disgust:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
So.......what type of videogames does a gamer have that will get him RESPEKT! [ali G]

Most games are acceptable, but play anything from iD or new Bungie and you are, like, totally excluded from being cool and hip.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy

Most games are acceptable, but play anything from iD or new Bungie and you are, like, totally excluded from being cool and hip.

But if you're in Texas, you have to follow iD games or you're the outcast, right?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
But if you're in Texas, you have to follow iD games or you're the outcast, right?

Everyone knows that being the underdog is totally cooler.

EDIT: Besides, Ion Strom fans are more than welcome. :D

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: raildogg
But then again, why measure status by a car?

Easy. Anyone can get a car but there's only a select few who can afford and maintain an expensive car.

So, status symbols (for cars anyways) are elevated because of:
- price
- quality and reliability
- brand recognition (includes company reputation and history)
- etc.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
As much as I'd like to say "clothes", people don't know enough about fashion to be able to tell a nice outfit from a Target one...I'd have to agree on the usual watch and car...and these days, a nice cell phone...I dunno, everything I buy is pretty nice so nothing stands out. Still saving for a nice watch after xmas...should be fun.

That's another good one......

Sometimes you may feel you're the only one who doesn't have the all-in-one PDA/cellphone/music-movie-picture media player at the office or at the airport first-class lounge.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: Baked
Giant cock and trophy wife.

Well, you just eliminated about 149,000 fat, dorito eating, geeks here. ;)

Ouch.

I think I did see some threads about successful ATOT weight loss stories.

Al Neri

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2002
I don?t wear a watch usually. I own a Wegner and someone once gave me a fossil that sits in my closet. I don't like jewelry (and I consider a watch jewelry). I used to wear my grandfather's gold necklace (very thin), but it bothered me mucho.

I don't like a gaudy things... that?s just me though. If you live where I do (Staten Island, for those who saw the MTV True Life I?m a Staten Islander, it was VERY close to the truth) you'd think that gaudiness = righteousness.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But then again, why measure status by a car?

Easy. Anyone can get a car but there's only a select few who can afford and maintain an expensive car.

So, status symbols (for cars anyways) are elevated because of:
- price
- quality and reliability
- brand recognition (includes company reputation and history)
- etc.

lol....it's called a lease

I see BMWs and MBs around here like most people see Chevys and Fords. It is certainly possible to have the appearance of wealth and not actually posess it (ie..leveraged to the hilt).

As to the OP: A am not into status symbols. I have a big tv because I like a big picture. I don't require German luxury cars, watches that cost more than I pay in taxes, expesive designer clothes, or the like.

Billzie7718

Sep 2, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Originally posted by: Baked
Giant cock and trophy wife.

Well, you just eliminated about 149,000 fat, dorito eating, geeks here. ;)

Ouch.

I think I did see some threads about successful ATOT weight loss stories.

As far as status symbols go, Trophy Wife trumps everything else. Men will admire a guy that marries a famous super-model over a guy that drives a Porsche. Women will also admire that guy because they are intrigued by the fact that a super-model can have any man she wants but chose him.

Ex: Think K-Fed will have trouble picking up a hot girlfriend after nailing B. Spears? I doubt it.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Anything that is recognized by the public to be of somewhat high monetary value is a status symbol. Next on the list is uniqueness, however many of the desired unique things are also expensive.

Clothes, Watch, Car, House, Stereo, TV,..

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiamat
Anything that is recognized by the public to be of somewhat high monetary value is a status symbol. Next on the list is uniqueness, however many of the desired unique things are also expensive.

House
Car
Clothes
Watch
Gadgets
Recreational Toys (Boats, bikes, etc)
Wife and the rocks on her persons.

These are the things that convey status. But even with all of them, you are the only one who knows what you really have in life. Family, Friends, your SO. These are what make you a man. Well, that and your "equipment."

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have an aversion to buying things that attract attention. I guess I got to a point where I looked at how much crap I had bought which turned out to be a waste. Now, if I had a burning desire to be a social climber, I realize you have to play that game because if you don't you can't get anywhere.

But it hasn't hurt my career or made it difficult to have good friends. It's to the point now where I can't really relate to some acquaintences who relentlessly talk about what they bought, what someone else bought and what they paid for it, how they managed to book a two-week trip to the Galapagos, etc. Telling me that you bought a $3,000 watch for $2,000 just gets a blank stare from me. All I can think about is how much I could do with $2,000 other than tell time. They see $1,000 saved, I see $2,000 wasted.

When I read The Millionaire Next Door, it really struck a chord with me.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiamat

You forgot to put "trophy wife" in the list and could possibly have the highest monetary value ;)

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
and then take full advantage of this new knowledge.....may it be as simple as having a 'bling' watch to project an image, and with this perception, have an advantage over others, say, in the case of going up the company ladder (hypothetically speaking, of course)

it is bizarre how the way you dress and style yourself (clothes, hair, accessories like shoes, belts, ties, watches) has duch a dramatic effect on the way people respond to you and treat you.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Lexus SUV? Please, replace that with something like a BMW 3-series or something. But then again, why measure status by a car?

What's wrong with Lexus SUV? It was the only luxury line SUV that I could afford in cash.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Anything that is branded and expensive and easily recognizable...Rolex, Montblanc, Bose, BMW, Mercedes, Tiffany sterling, Mikimoto pearls, Expensive sports cars and autos, high end bikes..and the list goes on

The irony I have found is that typically the brands/products which are most coveted and or known by "joe blow" are often not the best quality and are typically grossly overpriced when compared with other competing less known brands...

For example I have owned three Rolex watches and a whole host of Montblanc pens and in each case the public perception and the hype was way better than what I actually got (for Rolex had a Datejust, Explorer, and now have a Sub) where other companies made products arguably as good, if not better (as in the case of Omega with their speedmaster, planet ocean seamaster, or deville dress watch) for way less money, or for the same money you can get a watch from IWC or JLC which puts the Rolex to shame from a workmanship standpoint.

With Montblanc pens I have two now, both gifts from my wife...had upwards of ten of them which were all sold within a week of buying them as for the money they were a ripoff, brands like Pelikan, Aurora, Namiki, Parker, and even Cross offered far nicer pens, which wrote better, were made better, and alot less money...

And I won't even consider owning Bose, especially after doing just a little research, they are pretty much the joke of the audio enthusiast community yet within the public eye they are "high end"

Other more obscure things which are often considered status symbols are expensive pipe and cigar lighters by Dupont, Dunhill, and Cartier.

High end Humidors, Expensive kitchen applicances and cutlery...for example Sub Zero, Thermadore, Jenn Air, Bosch, Viking, Henckles, Wustof...sterling silver from Goram, Reed and Barton...and even vacuum cleaners for some people with Dyson, Electrolux and Miele...though in some of the above due to competition the price may be high, and they are well known due to their target market (women) yet the product quality is pretty comparable (though electrolux vacuums supposedly are awful)

I used to be into big brands and status symbols, but the more of them I owned and the more I learned of the industries and the products the less I respect the bigger more known names amongst the masses and the more I respect the brands which make really good products which might not be the most well known.. Also I don't like the attention that I get when wearing some more known things, either I get absolute meatballs who make annoying comments, or worse when in a store trying to buy things sales people assume I am just willing to overpay because I happen to wear something expensive that they know of...I would rather have something truly nice for myself than something that everyone recognizes just because it is a big brand.

What is scary is that today there are so many more status symbols than there were just a decade ago...products that were reserved only for the rich such as high end appliances and what not are now becomming more main stream and giving people more and more ways to waste their money, so while in the past only a few things were obvious status symbols (house, car, watch, jewelery, boat, bike, television, clothes),. today there are so many other things such as baby strollers with the $900 Bugaboo that every yuppie in Manhattan just has to have...or the expensive Louis Vuitton luggage set.

If you want a decent discussion on the subject hit me up via PM...

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
You guys don;t know much about social status. here is a very rough list

Level 1. You have a beater Rolex and very nice house in a great area, you should have a maid.
Level 2. You own a decent size boat or a few horses depending on where you live
Level 3. You own a plane and maybe a very big boat
Level 4. You collect art.

Once you own a plane you don't even wear Rolexs anymore unless its a really rare one. You wear watch brands that common prople never even heard of, but they cost enough to but a high end Mercedes.

and these $100k watches don't look like they cost $100k, They just look like normal watches, since you never heard of the brand you would think it was worth maybe in the $700 range.