Status Symbols

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I just had a recent discussion with my spouse about status symbols in current american society and the social psychology behind it.

For a guy, I came to the conclusion that two status symbols that are lasting would be his watch and his car. I do remember it took time and effort to save up for the Rolex DateJust and the Lexus SUV.

Other items considered as status symbols? Or is this just capitalism at its best? "Keeping up with the Joneses" syndrome?

- I remember you were considered 'cool' if you owned a lava lamp in Austin, Texas x number of years ago.

- I know my father-in-law would definitely say: by the number of boats, and/or longest yacht you own.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Lexus SUV? Please, replace that with something like a BMW 3-series or something. But then again, why measure status by a car?

We need to look deeper than that. I'm sure there are many people who can afford the Acura RLs and Infiniti M45s but choose to buy something that is half the price.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
My bachelor friends go for the "big tv" (tv-penis???)

first person bought a 42" panasonic plasma,
second person then had to buy a 52" rear-projection sony lcd
latest person went for the 56"?? DLP

i'm just wondering who and what type of tv next.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Mike
a watch? Really? I don't wear one at all.

my same thoughts on this years ago.

then you start going to the "board room" and everyone wears a rolex except you.

same applies to the "wtf, lava lamp in apartment in austin texas and i'm actually cool?!?"

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
my main ones would be a nice suit, and a house .... watch is very iffy

I would say almost anything but a car, unless you drove it for fun and not just to get to work, and get groceries, because then its just a prison imo.
Boat is a good example, something recreational that you could enjoy, sailboat, yacht, maybe a plane.
Book collection maybe, it really all depends on the type of person you are tbh.

But like I said, at the end of the day I could give two sh!ts about what car you drive, or even your size/make/type of TV.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
i guess what i was trying to convey is that i didn't care about these kinds of things many years ago

then i finally learn intricacies of human nature and social psychology (so I think)

and then take full advantage of this new knowledge.....may it be as simple as having a 'bling' watch to project an image, and with this perception, have an advantage over others, say, in the case of going up the company ladder (hypothetically speaking, of course)

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
As much as I'd like to say "clothes", people don't know enough about fashion to be able to tell a nice outfit from a Target one...I'd have to agree on the usual watch and car...and these days, a nice cell phone...I dunno, everything I buy is pretty nice so nothing stands out. Still saving for a nice watch after xmas...should be fun.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: novasatori
But like I said, at the end of the day I could give two sh!ts about what car you drive, or even your size/make/type of TV.

Not exactly indicative of the general populace.

Not even on ATOT, with so many car threads here....I like the following examples; people do have opinions on them and do give a sh!t....just with them posting even though majority deny it.

Importance of car to a girl

This is my car, what do you think it says about me?

Cars and implication on hot dates and getting laid

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
Being a nerd, I usually look for TV's in peoples houses.

Personally, dressing nice is always my number one though. Cause if you look like a slob, lets face it, you must not care much about what others think about you.

I personally have tv-penis syndrome, if you would like to put it that way :p

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
the huge home and expensive car is still the accepted status symbol.

so you'll need that million plus dollar home that's decked out and that mercedes s500 or that ferrari in the drive way.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A big, lifted truck, with big mudder tires!

Speaking of that, I was out walking my dog the other night. Now we live in a complex which has "mobility ramps coming off the sidewalks, at 4 corners, of each building.

Well, this jack-ass attention whore, which his big lifted, penis extension truck, decides to park it up over the curb, where the truck is blocking the entire walkway. We have several residents in our community, who us scooters, and who cannot walk.

I was so pissed! I typed a nice, nasty little message to that prick, as well as reported his truck, and his license number to our leasing office. I was also tempted to call the police, because he must have violated the handicapped parking laws, but then was not sure, if those laws apply on private property.

WTF is with some people? :|

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Probably my only real status symbol is my house.

We did just buy a nice new TV, so I guess that could be considered one as well since you guys are counting those. Dont think I have ever paid more than $75 bucks for a watch, and may have spent as much as $50 on a shirt, but most of my clothes are straight off the clearance rack.

Cars? As much as I would really like to have a nice car, I would much rather put my money into an appreciating asset instead of watching the car's value tumble year after year.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
For women, one MAJOR status symbol is the size/quality/cost of the diamond in their engagement rings.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Originally posted by: herkulease
the huge home and expensive car is still the accepted status symbol.

so you'll need that million plus dollar home that's decked out and that mercedes s500 or that ferrari in the drive way.

the reason why i think a lot of people may have picked up this book:

Green with Envy: Why Keeping Up with the Joneses Is Keeping Us in Debt

"In this myth-shattering book, a leading business journalist exposes the shocking gap between personal finance and public image, and reveals how Americans are caught in the trap of living beyond their means."

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Watch, Car, and Clothes easily.

I didn't think it would be a watch until I saw just how much watches can cost and how big the community is. No wonder it was kind of a big thing when reports talked about how watch sales went down thanks to cellphones.

As for clothes, well, I can say I kind of fell victim to that too.

I think the car is the only thing I'm not worried about what I drive, then again, I don't want it to look like a junker.

[edit] I think another big one is what college you graduated from.