Status of Sandy Bridge?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Does anyone know for certain if Intel is "done" with Sandy Bridge? I think so, because my understanding is that they won't be releasing any more desktop or mobile CPUs, and I don't think there's going to be a "Sandy Bridge-EX" on the Xeon side.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
They are done yes. All new models are IB or HW based. IB-EX is the successor to Westmere-EX, 15 cores.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Why do you care?

New = better (generally)

If you want a SB get one used for cheap.

Not looking forward to HW?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
lakedude, I'm not buying anything, just doing some research.

Thanks Shintai, I thought so. But sometimes they sneak things in... like these Gladden chips I only found out about today.

Wonder how much is left of IB except for EX as well...

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Sandy Bridge is 32nm, ivy bridge is 22nm. Once Intel migrates to a new process node, they generally don't release new products on the old process (although they sometimes keep the older products around for awhile).

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Generally, yes, but Xeon chips often lag substantially, and it's quite common for them to release Xeons of the previous generation after the next one has been released.

Intel also did release a handful of specialty SB server/comm-system chips shortly after the IB launch.

So.. just wanted to check. :)

IntelEnthusiast

Intel Representative
Feb 10, 2011
On the desktop space we try to stay with a product for at least 1 year. For the server market space we like to aim for 2 years to allow companies to plan with a more stable platform.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Thanks, Christian.

Actually, I just read that only last week Intel said something about releasing a Core i3-2375M. The number would seem to imply that this is SB, not IB. Anyone know anything about that?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks, Christian.

Actually, I just read that only last week Intel said something about releasing a Core i3-2375M. The number would seem to imply that this is SB, not IB. Anyone know anything about that?

Seems like it's just a minor clock bump on an existing part. Makes sense- if they can bin better, then why not? They want to keep their 32nm fabs making profitable chips for as long as they can, alongside their 22nm fabs.