station manager fires radio show host for refusing to air NPR news broadcasts

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Link to story.....

....Hughes also complained to his listeners about not wanting to run NPR news. "We know if you want a current assessment of what's going on, you're sure not listening to us," he said on last week's show. "You'll be over at Fox TV where they're not bending the news. ... It ain't happening on NPR."....

I like this guy a lot. All my tax money tossed to NPR hasn't been a total waste I guess.

NPR congeals your grey matter....Click and Clack and the all blues saturday being the only exceptions.

EDIT: title fixed

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
He didn't work for NPR. He worked for a local public radio station that used NPR programs. Need to fix your title.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Just because they report all sides of the story and not the jingoistic propoganda that Fox News broadcasts does not mean they're not a good news source. NPR is by far the best news we have in America. If you don't see that, it's because you don't want to.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Originally posted by: BDawg
Just because they report all sides of the story and not the jingoistic propoganda that Fox News broadcasts does not mean they're not a good news source. NPR is by far the best news we have in America. If you don't see that, it's because you don't want to.

:D

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
NPR has gotten better lately. During the 2000 Election coverage, Juan Williams was a puppet of Gore's campaign. It was disgusting to see a newsman so blatantly biased.

Someone high-up must have spoken to him then as he's more balanced these days.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
NPR has gotten better lately. During the 2000 Election coverage, Juan Williams was a puppet of Gore's campaign. It was disgusting to see a newsman so blatantly biased.

Someone high-up must have spoken to him then as he's more balanced these days.

Regardless of past or present observed bias, NPR is still more balanced than Fox News.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Regardless of past or present observed bias, NPR is still more balanced than Fox News.
Fox News has joined George Carlin's illustrious list of oxymorons usually headed by Military Intelligence, jumbo shrimp and Microsoft Works. :)

I guess we could also add rap music. :)

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Harvey
Fox News has joined George Carlin's illustrious list of oxymorons usually headed by Military Intelligence, jumbo shrimp and Microsoft Works. :)

I guess we could also add rap music. :)

George Carlin used to be funny. Maybe someday he will be again.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been listening to NPR for a few years now, still trying to figure out where the flaming liberal news is. Commentaries, sometimes. Even they aren't exclusive by any means. But the the news I've found quite good.

Granted, I just listen to ATC, Marketplace and Weekend Edition regularly. CarTalk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Prairie Home Companion I catch now and then.

I don't get Juan William's daily show (or so I've heard he has one). Can imagine it would be out there. Any time Susan Stanberg fills in I listen for awhile and give up, she's just plain nutz. So yes, there are examples of hard to tolerate on air personalities and opinions. But that goes back to separating what's reported from the commentary of the report.

On a day to day basis the news reporting is more balanced than I've found through other outlets. More detailed by far and better follow up work. Another arguement goes "even if the news is reported accurately, the choice of what to report on is a bias"

True. I agree 100%. Also much of the reason I find NPR news to be better balanced than others. By going into more details, sometimes to an excruciatingly boring extent, they cover most aspects. And sometimes a bias does creep into the selection. When the coal miners were trapped and later rescued to follow that report with a report of Bush cutting funding for mining safety programs it sure struck me as deliberately trying to make a point. Guess that could be called liberal since it didn't reflect positively on the President. I'm sure it will be.

Now when All Things Considered has arts and culture stories, yes, those tend to be liberal. Look at who's being reported on though, how many conservative artists are there? So yes, I can listen to a commentary by some lady who lives with her cats about how hard life is followed by a report on the war and not judge the war report based on the cat lady.

--Mc

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
What a bonehead, bashing NPR news on a University radio station. Bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
NPR has a tendency to be TOO fair to a minority position. While FOX lies about its balance, NPR on occasion gives radical perspectives too much airtime for the typical consumer to digest. Even for segments which are well developed the typical listener cannot be reasonably expected to form a consensus opinion from diametrically opposed views.