State universities to arm police with assault rifles

bladder23

Banned
Jun 28, 2007
Text

Police departments at Arizona's three universities plan to arm their officers with military-style assault rifles within the next year, officials said Tuesday.

The new rifles would give campus police officers long-range shooting capabilities, allowing them to hit targets at the end of long hallways or atop tall buildings, officials said.

Arizona State University will be the first of the three schools to use the weapons. Officers there will be trained to use the rifles in the next few months, said ASU police spokesman Cmdr. Jim Hardina.
advertisement

Officers will undergo 40 hours of training before using the weapons.

"We don't want to just throw rifles out there," Hardina said.

Eight officers at the University of Arizona will get similar training before a rifle program launches there in four to five months, officials said. Northern Arizona University officials said a rifle program was in the works, although a specific start date was not immediately available.

ASU has bought four of the new rifles at $700 each, and is looking to find money to purchase four more. One challenge the department is facing: finding ammunition for the rifles. Increased military operations mean that the police department and the armed forces were competing for the same ammo, Hardina said.

Assault rifles are useful in "active shooter" situations in which there may not be time to wait for a SWAT team to arrive on campus, officials said.

They added that the plan has been in the works for a couple of years and is not related to recent shootings on college campuses, including last year's massacre of 32 students at Virginia Tech by a student with a history of mental illness.

Pistols that campus officers currently use aren't ideal for long shots, said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, UA Police Department spokesman.

"Beyond 50 feet, you lose a lot of accuracy," Mejia said. "You can take a longer, more accurate shot (with the rifles)."

ASU officers will store the new guns in their patrol cars while on duty, taking them out only when a situation warrants their use, Hardina said.

Jan Kelly, an ASU faculty member, said she understands why officers have a need for weapons with increased capabilities. She said she feels comfortable with campus officers' access to the rifles.

"I don't think the police are going to target students," Kelly said. "If they (the guns) aren't visible, most won't really know about them.

"Hopefully we'll never know about them."

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: bladder23
Text

The new rifles would give campus police officers long-range shooting capabilities, allowing them to hit targets at the end of long hallways or atop tall buildings, officials said.

"I don't think the police are going to target students," Kelly said.

See, don't worry, the police are just going to be shooting at targets that they set up at the end of halls and on top of buildings...not the students.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Pantoot
Text

See, don't worry, the police are just going to be shooting at targets that they set up at the end of halls and on top of buildings...not the students.

:laugh: Why the hell did she say that? :confused:

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs
Text

because of people's fear mongering when it comes to these weapons. She could have phrased it better though.

That being said, I hardly see this as news worthy.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Which university had that massive police shooting at the anti-war demonstration? The photos taken during that episode immediately came to mind when I read the title of this thread.

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Oh goody, well, at least I'm at ASU West instead of main campus where there'd likely be more crazies.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
A better idea would be allowing students to carry concealed weapons.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Hmmm....I'm pretty sure I've noticed assault rifles inside campus police cruisers here at CU. I didn't realize this was new. Like she said, they're going to be mostly kept inside the cruiser. Cops aren't going to be walking around with ARs slung across, so nobody should feel intimidated.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80

Haha. Ha. AH HA. I don't see how that would be a better idea. Think about all the craptastic shooters that post on this forum. "I couldn't hit the target from point blank range. What am I doing wrong?" That is a nice way to maximize collateral damage.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
So? A lot of police departments have assault rifles/weapons already. It isn't like they are giving them to campus security guards or something.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: mugs
Text

An excellent question. Her lack of certainty is a good sign. Note she didn't say "the police will not target students;" it's "I don't think the police are going to target students." Who knows, I guess they might... We're going to tell them that they probably shouldn't though.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Comparing this to the Kent State shootings shows a complete lack of understanding of context. The only thing that links them are 1. college 2. rifle.

Amazingly, I lived on a college campus and owned a rifle and never killed anyone. :Q

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Safeway
Originally posted by: JS80

Haha. Ha. AH HA. I don't see how that would be a better idea. Think about all the craptastic shooters that post on this forum. "I couldn't hit the target from point blank range. What am I doing wrong?" That is a nice way to maximize collateral damage.

link

lol right, like the police are expert shots

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
A lot of police dept's have cars with rifles/shotguns in them already.....they are trained to use any weapon thats not the standard pistol. I don't see what the major story is.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Wait.. are they talking about the real police here or the rental cops that most universities employ? Because there's no way in hell i'd want to put assault rifles into the hands of the rental cops who patrol around here...