State of the Union 2024

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I bought a 1948 DeSoto with Fluid Drive for a hundred dollars. I think it weighed 4000lb. You could stick out your feet in the back seat and not reach the backs of the front seats. I did more than stick out my feet back there.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Are we back to pretending someone said it was all sunshine and roses in the 50s?
I guess one thing that has been lost is the wisdom of oral traditions. Have you not heard that absence makes the heart grow fond? The fifties were glorious because they are gone. The real source of nostalgia, in my opinion, and one naturally based of a lifetime of impartial analysis and acquired wisdom, is that what we pine for is the loss in childhood of our true selves. You fell from paradise, you know, or should.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It seems from the data I've posted in multiple posts, linked and sourced, housing costs have by no means scaled with real wage growth. Note even close.

Does anyone disagree?

Reactions: nakedfrog

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It seems from the data I've posted in multiple posts, linked and sourced, housing costs have by no means scaled with real wage growth. Note even close.

Does anyone disagree?
Not me but I don't know much. But I remember hearing long ago that it used to be in Egypt that when things got too crowded groups of people would build their own new villages. Title to the land was non existent. You owned it if you built there. No mortgages, no building codes just friends family and labor and mud. Now we have tent cities but for people that can't make it in a capitalist system. What we could use, I think, are tree houses that photosynthesize our food and use our waste to fertilize the process. We could live in human forests in the sun. What do you think the genetic code and engineering to make a seed for a tree like that could bring in. It would probably be outlawed as a threat to the system.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not me but I don't know much. But I remember hearing long ago that it used to be in Egypt that when things got too crowded groups of people would build their own new villages. Title to the land was non existent. You owned it if you built there. No mortgages, no building codes just friends family and labor and mud. Now we have tent cities but for people that can't make it in a capitalist system. What we could use, I think, are tree houses that photosynthesize our food and use our waste to fertilize the process. We could live in human forests in the sun. What do you think the genetic code and engineering to make a seed for a tree like that could bring in. It would probably be outlawed as a threat to the system.
I think you should start a new village is what I think. It sounds extremely rewarding and a very positive thing to do!

Let me know when you set it up and I'll come be a guest of honor at one of your monthly council meeting dinners. We can break bread, and let bygones be bygones, and I'll smoke lots of crack so I can understand you better when you speak.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think you should start a new village is what I think. It sounds extremely rewarding and a very positive thing to do!

Let me know when you set it up and I'll come be a guest of honor at one of your monthly council meeting dinners. We can break bread, and let bygones be bygones, and I'll smoke lots of crack so I can understand you better when you speak.
When I become dictator you will quickly discover I know what's best for you. There will be roses growing up and down NYC streets and a tomato plant in every window and the pigeon crap will be repurposed. Stepping stones will be installed on all the buildings for goats to climb. You will be able to milk your Nanny but you'll need to let go of your cock.

PS, I doubt there's enough crack in the world for you to keep up. Just reciporocating, you understand, with a little love tap. I know nothing about crack.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Was watching John Stewart talking about this (on YouTube), and, God, who is this Katie Britt person? That speech she gave is going to give me nightmares. She seemed deranged, not so much in what she said but her manner of saying it.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Was watching John Stewart talking about this (on YouTube), and, God, who is this Katie Britt person? That speech she gave is going to give me nightmares. She seemed deranged, not so much in what she said but her manner of saying it.

Did you watch the parody skit on SNL, two days after her "rebuttal speech"?

Scarlett Johansson played Katy Britt.

Watch that and your nightmares should go away.

Skit is about six minutes long with the Scarlett Johansson's part about 3 minutes in.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Just watched that SNL bit. Relieved to find I'm not the only one who found the original equal parts funny and terrifying (but mostly the latter) - my first thought was 'is this normal for the US?'
Seems it's not even normal for Republicans.

It seemed like a scene from a bad movie about a smiling female serial killer.

• Haha

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Just watched that SNL bit. Relieved to find I'm not the only one who found the original equal parts funny and terrifying (but mostly the latter) - my first thought was 'is this normal for the US?'

Are you not familiar with Republican politicians in the U.S.? :tearsofjoy:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

It seemed like a scene from a bad movie about a smiling female serial killer .

Repubs are trying to get the female vote and AFAIC, that rebuttal backfired. Made them look like the idiots they are.

I think the female outrage over the overturning roe vs Wade is going to play big in this election.

Britt probably is the "crazy bitch in the Target parking lot", IRL.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Repubs are trying to get the female vote and AFAIC, that rebuttal backfired. Made them look like the idiots they are.

I think the female outrage over the overturning roe vs Wade is going to play big in this election.

Britt probably is the "crazy bitch in the Target parking lot", IRL.
Yup. I suspect the image of a saccharine Karen speaking from her place (the kitchen) about 'really complicated things' that 'she doesn't really understand' but 'gosh she just feels are so important' didn't go over well with the educated female population especially.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yup. I suspect the image of a saccharine Karen speaking from her place (the kitchen) about 'really complicated things' that 'she doesn't really understand' but 'gosh she just feels are so important' didn't go over well with the educated female population especially.

I didn't get that vibe as such. It was more the sheer weird creepiness of her overly-smiley presentation. As John Stewart mentioned, I'm not sure anyone's ever coupled that quote about 'shedding the blood of patriots' with such a Xanaxed grin.

So far have seen it compared to the end credits of Australian slasher flick "Pearl" - protagonist stares at camera with fixed grin, hinting at the emotional turmoil within
straight after brutally murdering a bunch of people with an axe
... the Overly Attached Girlfriend meme, another Australian horror movie "Smile", The Handmaid's Tale, and The Stepford Wives.

Not that I've seen any of those movies, myself, other than clips, but it absolutely reminded me of the clip I saw a while ago of the first of them. But if the political career doesn't work out, Ms Britt really should make a move into performing in horror movies.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Haha exactly. People see photos of the rich in the 50’s and think that’s how everyone lived.
Like kids watching princess movies and thinking that is how life was in the middle ages. The reality is the average poor American has a better standard of living than royalty in 1500.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Not really. She is just a normal down home Republican girl with the usual conservative brain defect. Conservatives are mesmerized into a state of endless disgust and revulsion which they hallucinate as the reality surrounding them everywhere but which in really is only a projection of how their parents saw them as children and forced them to feel. It is the same psychological process by which so many so called morally upstanding church going Republican icons get caught in all manner of perversions and deviancy. They are drawn to the disgusting like flies to shit because psychologically it's what they feel and need to war with. Self hate is the source of temptation. How bad can I be and while pretending to be otherwise.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Like kids watching princess movies and thinking that is how life was in the middle ages. The reality is the average poor American has a better standard of living than royalty in 1500.
Standard of living is not as important to self haters as the balm of social standing. What self hater wouldn't give an eye for the title of royalty. This is a lust the tabloids turn into real money.