News State Dept. to release Ukraine related documents to the Impeachment Investigation

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well now, is the dam starting to break?

The decision comes in response to a lawsuit filed by American Oversight, a watchdog group affiliated with progressive causes. That lawsuit was initially filed in the spring, after Trump dismissed U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie L. Yovanovitch. Since that firing, a whistleblower complaint and other developments have led to allegations Trump used $400 million in aid to Ukraine as leverage on authorities there to investigate Hunter Biden.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
"Agreed to" - sort of. They were ordered by a judge to do so pursuant to a lawsuit filed by a progressive group when the State Department didn't turn over the docs in response to their FOIA request. The "agreement" they have with the plaintiff now is them bargaining away an appeal for being given several weeks to turn the docs over, and possibly for some narrowing of the scope of the docs being turned over.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They will find a way to edit it and drag their feet.
I am sure of this

I'm sure they want to, but in this case, it will be difficult. They agreed in writing to hand over the docs by a date certain (11/22), and in doing so, they undoubtedly waived their right to appeal the court's ruling. If they breach the agreement, the judge will order them to immediately hand over the docs or be held in contempt. And unlike Congress, the court will actually do it. They are out of legal options.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Goodness. Ordinarily I find this reasonable, but I don't like it here. Firstly it's making a compromise on an act of obstruction with no legal basis for withholding that I'm aware of. Secondly, I really don't have any confidence that things produced by the Trump administration won't be altered or withheld. Is there any way to ensure that doesn't happen? I realize that not coming to this agreement probably would take more time to exhaust their appeals.